View Single Post
Old 21st April 2006, 10:33 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: NYTimes China: Cultural Differences Online

There is a reason I didn't repost the article.

There is also a good reason the link is here: this is the single most informative peice of reporting I have seen that outlines the whole history and scheme behind China's internet policy.

In Saudi Arabia, where if you go to a prohibited site you are redirected to a page of the goverment which gives you all the reasons why the page you wanted to access is prohibited.

In China there is a completely arbitrary system that is not transparent and is used by competitors to get the government shut down access to their rivals. Which is what seems to have happend to google. Which why this is an important article to read for anyone who is dealing with the Chinese internet.

Understanding how things work is good for those in business. It has nothing to do with politics.

To quote the Times:
The Great Firewall tends to slow down all traffic coming into the country from the world outside. About 15 percent of the time, Google was simply unavailable in China because of data jams.

That explains why, when I try to access Chinese sites from outside of China, they are so unbearably slow.

More analysis can be found here:
Saudi Arabia: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/filtering/saudiarabia/
China: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/filtering/china/

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 21st April 2006 at 11:12 PM..