IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names

IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/)
-   Search Engine Optimization : SEO (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/search-engine-optimization-seo/)
-   -   Google having trouble indexing latins (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/15816-google-having-trouble-indexing-latins.html)

jacksonm 27th December 2007 07:58 PM

Google having trouble indexing latins
 
Google is having trouble believing that it has indexed a few of my latin sites. They are in the cache but can not be found with a
Code:

site:punycode
search.


Check this out:


mökit.info
------------------
Can not be found with a site: search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...fo&btnG=Search

Can be found as a "similar site" by searching for the punycode (note the cache link below the result!)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...fo&btnG=Search


jägerhof.com
---------------------
Can not be found with a site: search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...om&btnG=Search

Can be found as a "similar site" by searching for the punycode (note the cache link below the result! - 4th position in the results)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...22&btnG=Search


Not all of my latins have this problem, but a few of them do. Anybody else seen this before and know any way to help this situation?

.

Fka200 27th December 2007 08:03 PM

Re: Google having trouble indexing latins
 
No idea about the sites, but Google is starting to have problems with Unicode URLS.

I might call them. Hell, I'm going to find a number right now.

touchring 27th December 2007 08:06 PM

Re: Google having trouble indexing latins
 
Google seems to index punycode and unicode differently, not sure the reason. Sometimes domains drop off and come back after a while. You need to wait for two or three weeks to know if they are gone for good. If the punycode does not come back after a month, the unicode can disappear as well or vice versa. Non-update of cache is also a sign that the domain will drop soon.

You may try using one of those multiple data center checkers that searches a few dozen google ips. Not sure if that will make a difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fka200
No idea about the sites, but Google is starting to have problems with Unicode URLS.

I might call them. Hell, I'm going to find a number right now.


If it's a parking page or mfa, pls don't call them. :o

jacksonm 27th December 2007 08:15 PM

Re: Google having trouble indexing latins
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by touchring
Google seems to index punycode and unicode differently, not sure the reason. Sometimes domains drop off and come back after a while. You need to wait for two or three weeks to know if they are gone for good. If the punycode does not come back after a month, the unicode can disappear as well or vice versa. Non-update of cache is also a sign that the domain will drop soon.

You may try using one of those multiple data center checkers that searches a few dozen google ips. Not sure if that will make a difference.


We are in for a long ride when google can't even index latin IDNs properly.

.

Noemi 28th December 2007 02:28 AM

Re: Google having trouble indexing latins
 
All my latins have been fine, but I don't have any with an umlaut.

touchring 28th December 2007 04:32 AM

Re: Google having trouble indexing latins
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonm
We are in for a long ride when google can't even index latin IDNs properly.

.


For massive end user adoption, it has always going to be a long ride, i've been saying this since april 2006. 2 years passed like a blink of the eye. Another 2 years will pass just as quickly, and then another 2 years, another 2 years, and so on ..... And in between, funny things will happen, like the recession, google PPC squeeze, reg fee hike, etc.

We IDNers are already lucky enough to have increasing traffic to offset reducing PPC.

My best advice - just buy or renew within your capabilities, don't try and guess when IDNs will take off.

jacksonm 28th December 2007 10:17 AM

Re: Google having trouble indexing latins
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by touchring
My best advice - just buy or renew within your capabilities, don't try and guess when IDNs will take off.

Take off?

IDNs are no different than any other domain. I registered several in the past few weeks that are all getting daily type-in traffic and clicks.

People will use them right now if they turn up in serps, and type them in as well if they have newer browsers.

The problem that I am complaining about is that I am not able to check the indexing status of my domains with the site: command, even though the domains are indexed and currently receiving traffic.

.

touchring 28th December 2007 10:30 AM

Re: Google having trouble indexing latins
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonm
Take off?



By take off, i mean, like ascii traffic for their equivalent.

For indexing, you may also try webmastertools, but you need to create a virtual account for the verification part.

jacksonm 28th December 2007 10:40 AM

Re: Google having trouble indexing latins
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by touchring
By take off, i mean, like ascii traffic for their equivalent.

Depending on the language, they will do it today. I already proved that with my Japanese dot com domain earlier this summer, which was getting over 3k uniques per day before Yahoo deindexed it.

Search traffic won't ever increase over what it is today, barring drastic changes in search engine ranking algos.

Type-in traffic? I am getting heavy type-in traffic and revenue to some newly registered latin IDNs. They are not indexed yet. One is a very generic product and the other one is a service. The browser support plays a factor here, and for Europe I don't think it's even an issue anymore - MS got off it's ass when Firefox started eating their lunch.

.

touchring 28th December 2007 10:46 AM

Re: Google having trouble indexing latins
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonm
Type-in traffic? I am getting heavy type-in traffic and revenue to some newly registered latin IDNs. They are not indexed yet. One is a very generic product and the other one is a service. The browser support plays a factor here, and for Europe I don't think it's even an issue anymore - MS got off it's ass when Firefox started eating their lunch.


Yes, latins with "strong accents" get good type-in traffic, especially those with ready ascii sites.

Rubber Duck 28th December 2007 10:49 AM

Re: Google having trouble indexing latins
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonm
Type-in traffic? I am getting heavy type-in traffic and revenue to some newly registered latin IDNs. They are not indexed yet. One is a very generic product and the other one is a service. The browser support plays a factor here, and for Europe I don't think it's even an issue anymore - MS got off it's ass when Firefox started eating their lunch.

.

Maybe, but they are still eating it.

Getting off their arse only gives others more opportunity to kick it!

jacksonm 28th December 2007 11:21 AM

Re: Google having trouble indexing latins
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by touchring
Yes, latins with "strong accents" get good type-in traffic, especially those with ready ascii sites.

In one case, I found a very nice generic product name. There is an ascii site for a single shop, but it's really small and lame - looks like it was last updated in 1997 or something. The IDN gets several type-ins and clicks per day. The item is expensive and a must have but there is not full google advertiser competition (which needs 8 advertisers), I believe there is only 5 or 6 at this time. Perhaps the advertising campaigns are seasonal. I'll have to keep my eye on this.

No further information at this time as I am still heavily in acquisition mode.

.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54