IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th December 2007, 11:54 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
A look back.

I had heard before about the discussions between RD and Olney on DNForums. The ones that led to the establishment of IDNForums.com. I decided to look them up and found this thread:

http://www.dnforum.com/f4/computer-c...ad-106721.html

I thought some others might like to see this too.
Old 28th December 2007, 12:08 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough
Re: A look back.

It's going to be interesting to look back @ thing in 2009.

I spent 4 hours last night explaining IDNs to someone in person.
Old 28th December 2007, 12:16 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

One of my most memorable moments was explaining things to a friend at their house and then deciding to show them my new website for one of my IDN's.

I borrowed their daughter's Macbook to show them. I used a dictionary to get the translation then cut and paste it into the Safari address bar and added the .com. Bang.... up came my site. No downloading of fonts. No changing of settings. It was slick (It was a Mac).

I looked over at my friend and his jaw was on the floor. He looked at me and said.... 'Do you know what that is worth?'

That was when I knew he 'got it'.
Old 28th December 2007, 12:21 AM

burnsinternet is an unknown quantity at this point

My favorite quote from 2005:

Quote:
Like them or loath them IDN is one, if not the big issue of the moment. It is either the biggest opportunity since the original launch of domain names or the greatest red herring in history. You all know which side of the fence I am on, but everyone should be considering whether they should be getting involved or sitting on their hands. I think that we should all appreciate that nothing we say or do is going to greatly influence the outcome, one way or the other.

Last edited by burnsinternet; 28th December 2007 at 12:48 AM..
Old 28th December 2007, 12:29 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

My favorite quote is in my sig

Quote:
"Thanks Fka200 for your post That will help a lot of people to realize that IDN's with some sense are worth some money"
Old 28th December 2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho
One of my most memorable moments was explaining things to a friend at their house and then deciding to show them my new website for one of my IDN's.

I borrowed their daughter's Macbook to show them. I used a dictionary to get the translation then cut and paste it into the Safari address bar and added the .com. Bang.... up came my site. No downloading of fonts. No changing of settings. It was slick (It was a Mac).

I looked over at my friend and his jaw was on the floor. He looked at me and said.... 'Do you know what that is worth?'

That was when I knew he 'got it'.
And the domain was...?

Old 28th December 2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsinternet
And the domain was...?

http://www.宝くじ.com

Just the other day I pointed it back at ND. The affiliate programs I found for it weren't converting.

Last edited by Clotho; 28th December 2007 at 01:29 AM..
Old 28th December 2007, 02:35 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Just the other day I pointed it back at ND. The affiliate programs I found for it weren't converting.
Dude, that is the f*(*(g lottery ticket. Literally. Hot stuff. Very very hot.
Old 28th December 2007, 03:11 AM

Definition please!

Edit: Lottery. I feel stupid.

Last edited by Fka200; 28th December 2007 at 03:17 AM..
Old 28th December 2007, 03:13 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200
Definition please!
Lottery lol
Old 28th December 2007, 03:24 AM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

Registered in 2000, Kudos Clotho.
Very nice name.

tee1

Quote:

Old 28th December 2007, 03:51 AM

You were warned all these years ago...

Quote:
IDN-s are worthless, I would save the money and register some real domains.
Quote:
by the time IDNs become popular and accepted, the net will be very different, and I seriously doubt the actual characters before the 'dot' will really mater.
Quote:
I can't for the life of me find out how you make all those little square boxes
So, Clotho, save your money. I will happily take over that little portfolio of yours at no charge.

Same with the rest of you! This is an intervention. You are addicted. Give 'em up now! Get well!

No. No. Don't thank me. Please. Just listen to reason and pass 'em over.

Old 28th December 2007, 04:41 AM

Ha ha

Thank you for your kind words. I think 2008 is going to be a significant year for all of us.
Old 28th December 2007, 05:18 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200
It's going to be interesting to look back @ thing in 2009.

I spent 4 hours last night explaining IDNs to someone in person.
At least now you can get somebody to listen for 4 hours. Back then you generally got dismissed as a raving lunatic after about 4 seconds. Things are changing fast!
Old 28th December 2007, 05:38 AM

It is amusing to read that thread and see Olney suggest that IDN's have little value.

Things certainly have changed. I remember posting a question about Multilingual Domains on DNForums back in 2002.

The response I received was so negative, so nasty, I refuse to post there since.

I used to wish there was a way to easily measure traffic on a large volume of domains. (Now we have parking)

I used to wish for browser support...

We're almost there!
Old 28th December 2007, 05:53 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Yes, and some want to see large volumes of traffic before they buy.

They can kiss my arse! Once I have plenty traffic I won't be selling.

A couple more significant deals and we are home and dry. It pains me to much to see each domain go for me to keep this selling thing up. It is just too psychologically damaging. I will spend nearly my first years earning on therapy!
Old 28th December 2007, 05:59 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck

A couple more significant deals and we are home and dry. It pains me to much to see each domain go for me to keep this selling thing up. It is just too psychologically damaging. I will spend nearly my first years earning on therapy!

You should keep some of the Chinese geographics.
Old 28th December 2007, 06:18 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

I have known about IDNs since 2000 also, but was too chicken to put my money where my mouth was. I had invested previously on failed technologies, namely VRML and others. (Yes, I know about Second Live now)

So I decided to wait for the major player, Internet Explorer, to support it… and wait, and wait and wait. I finally jumped on IDNs the day I heard about ie7 support. (End of 2005). If I remember it correctly, I think it was not on the first announcement of ie7, it was on the second or third announcement. I almost gave up completely as the first ie7 announcement didn’t make any reference to IDN support.
Old 28th December 2007, 06:28 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

But....IDN is not a technology. There is no competition, it's not like blu-ray versus red-ray, VRML versus Flash??

You've seen the state of English in China from this forum - and this forum attracts probably Chinese with the best English skills, probably top 2%.

Asia is no Europe or America, especially so for China. In smaller Chinese cities, one cannot even move around without knowing Mandarin.

Last edited by touchring; 28th December 2007 at 06:36 AM..
Old 28th December 2007, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck

We are fortunate that we have been involved for some time and can see the progress. It all makes sense. The increased traffic for Cyrillic domains (first to get the AutoUpdate). The monthly increase in Asian traffic (even without AutoUpdate) etc. We have the names so we can watch the trends and it seems obvious. If you are on the outside looking in it only makes sense to be cautious. Best thing you can do is educate yourself and figure out what is going on and how it works. Worse thing you can do is to remain ignorant and berate those who have educated themselves and know more.

I agree that the real premium names will always be in short supply. People will always sell lesser names first. It is my opinion that the secondary market for Asian domains will first match ascii prices and then surpass them.

In North America a 5 year plan is considered long term. In Asia it is short term. They are used to looking at things from a larger perspective. 100 year mortgages are not uncommon. It is pretty easy to see that many domains are capable of earning revenue for decades or longer. I think that in time we will see multiples of revenue paid for Asian domains that is many times what we are currently seeing in ascii.

I don't know what to expect from other cultures but this is what I think will happen in Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose
I have known about IDNs since 2000 also, but was too chicken to put my money where my mouth was. I had invested previously on failed technologies, namely VRML and others. (Yes, I know about Second Live now)

So I decided to wait for the major player, Internet Explorer, to support it… and wait, and wait and wait. I finally jumped on IDNs the day I heard about ie7 support. (End of 2005). If I remember it correctly, I think it was not on the first announcement of ie7, it was on the second or third announcement. I almost gave up completely as the first ie7 announcement didn’t make any reference to IDN support.
For myself it was a combination of the obvious need for Multilingual Domains and the clout that Network Solutions (now Verisign) brought to the table. I felt that Network Solutions was putting their reputation on the line with their test bed. I also figured that they wouldn't do that if they didn't think they had the tools to see it through.

You were wise to determine the mitigating factor (IE6) and keep an eye open for it's solution (IE7). You were able to act when many missed the boat.

Last edited by Clotho; 28th December 2007 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost