IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2006, 12:07 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
NameDrive Questionable ?

I was breezing around my domainsite account yesterday and noticed that they tell you how many times youre domains has been hit since you REgd it, and its very disapointing to see that DomainSite Facts are multiple times higher than what NameDrive is reporting.... So the question is whats up with that ?
Old 18th March 2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo
Re: NameDrive Questionable ?

What multiple is that ?

It isn't 1 right ? :=)
Old 18th March 2006, 12:48 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Well to illustrate, (This is a .co.in rather than an IDN)
I have xxxxx.co.in

DS Stats -- 13th Jan -- 18th March --> 200 Visits -- (13th Jan is when it was registered)
ND Stats -- 16th Feb -- 18th March --> 5 Visits

Slightly more than a multiple of 1....

Edited for clarification

Last edited by mulligan; 18th March 2006 at 01:28 PM..
Old 18th March 2006, 01:01 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Are you all sure because the DS-stats show all views since the registration ?
Old 18th March 2006, 01:18 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just about every name i have in my account has altleast twice the amount of what N.D is reporting, and most of them are way higher triples quadrouples etc, i think this deserves an explanation
Old 18th March 2006, 01:21 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

I reged xxxx.co.in on 13th Jan 2006,

I dont remember when it went to ND but thats fairly irrelevant as my ND stats read as folows:

Jan 16th --> 1
Jan 17th --> 2
Jan 18th --> 1
Feb 18th --> 1

Even if I did forget to send it to ND until the 16th Jan (Unlikely) Im assuming I didnt get the missing 195 hits in 3 days.
Old 18th March 2006, 01:21 PM

.......And to make matters even worse to my suprise a few domains that have ZERO stats @ N.D have a decent amount of hits on my domainsite account..... things that make you go hmmmm
Old 18th March 2006, 01:33 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of people here including myself have been scratching our heads thinking the same thing. I think there is only one way to find out - host it and check the raw data. This is the right thing to do. I am just guilty of being lazy :-)
Old 18th March 2006, 02:08 PM

drbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished road

Can someone tell me how one can check the stats at domainsite?
Old 18th March 2006, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

I've seen a lot of my IDN names get hammered by Yahoo's spider.

Quite likely NameDrive does not report spider hits, and only reports uniques after that.

Which would be standard practice in the industry, I should think.
Old 18th March 2006, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
I've seen a lot of my IDN names get hammered by Yahoo's spider.

Quite likely NameDrive does not report spider hits, and only reports uniques after that.

Which would be standard practice in the industry, I should think.
Would this 'Spider Hammering' apply to English langauge names, as is the one in my post above?
Old 18th March 2006, 03:24 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I think there is alot of weird things happening with IDNs, but I wouldn't be too quick to blame Namedrive. While my uniques have fluctuated recently (and scored the biggest day ever yesterday), my clicks have been fairly consistent. Speculators seem to affect my uniques in a big way. From my point of view, it appears that these speculators target specific languages (which in turn receive many more uniques than usual) on various days. One day my Chinese and Japanese names will have a surge in traffic and one day my Arabic names will.

Right now I think Namedrive is the best parking service for our IDNs. They are small, but see the potential of IDNs (even if they claim it is not their first priority). Something like traffic shaving, if revealed, would destroy their business. For this reason (or maybe I'm just naive) and the speculator dominated traffic I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

My 2 cents.
Old 18th March 2006, 03:57 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I think there is alot of weird things happening with IDNs, but I wouldn't be too quick to blame Namedrive. While my uniques have fluctuated recently (and scored the biggest day ever yesterday), my clicks have been fairly consistent. Speculators seem to affect my uniques in a big way. From my point of view, it appears that these speculators target specific languages (which in turn receive many more uniques than usual) on various days. One day my Chinese and Japanese names will have a surge in traffic and one day my Arabic names will.

Right now I think Namedrive is the best parking service for our IDNs. They are small, but see the potential of IDNs (even if they claim it is not their first priority). Something like traffic shaving, if revealed, would destroy their business. For this reason (or maybe I'm just naive) and the speculator dominated traffic I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

My 2 cents.

Yeah, that's what i thought, there's no alternative at the moment. I did a small comparison between Sedo and NameDrive for payout - there's no significant difference, although Sedo does display European ads for European IDNs (Google needs to correct their system). Whoever can display native ads first will win the game.
Old 18th March 2006, 04:04 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
From my point of view, it appears that these speculators target specific languages (which in turn receive many more uniques than usual) on various days. One day my Chinese and Japanese names will have a surge in traffic and one day my Arabic names will.
How dare they! :p Someone should let them know they are too late.
Old 18th March 2006, 04:18 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
How dare they! :p Someone should let them know they are too late.

One thing i do not understand, why do these people waste their time to access the names. Check whois and move on if it's registered?
Old 18th March 2006, 05:11 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Your right about the missing hits. Just do this experiment: ask your friends (from different IP ranges than yours) to click on your park page ads. Sometimes they appear, sometimes they don't.

Someone whispered me this: Maybe the traffic surge we see sometimes is when the selective grid (which is still being fine tuned for IDNs) is taken down temporary. Makes sense, right?

Anyway, how do you think they make money? From 0.3 clicks only, lol?! Move on, that's life!
Old 18th March 2006, 05:13 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
One thing i do not understand, why do these people waste their time to access the names. Check whois and move on if it's registered?
I think there are lots of reasons as to why. The big one for me is to see if anything is getting developed yet or not. While most are not there are some that are. You know what they say about curiosity.