IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th December 2007, 12:57 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Regarding the japanese single char. auction

Yes, what I can see that most cannot is the volume of traffic on single hiragana domains. I can also compare it with single alphabetics in other languages. What I can tell you is that generally they get a lot more traffic than even top generics, but it is harder to convert. Conversion for branding purposes is not an issue.
Old 29th December 2007, 01:02 PM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho
As a result I am indifferent to how many keystrokes it takes to type in a single character kana.com name. What I am interested in is the following:

Do I think that the Japanese name space will eventually suffer the same fate as the Ascii and become thoroughly bought out?

Is the name short and memorable?

Does the name pass the radio test?

Am I willing to wait the extra time for a brand-able Japanese name to mature in value?
that's very cool, Clotho. so, please go ahead and keep bidding on the one-hiragana domains. i am sure people will appreciate it.

sorry. i am not trying to be mean. but that's what i am getting out of your message.
Old 29th December 2007, 01:09 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Ryu,

I think what you don't understand is that the likes of A.com, B.com etc will go under the hammer in the near future, and they are likely to fetch close to $10M each, possibly more.

People are bound eventually to draw parallels in other Alphabets, and even discounting by factors from 10 to even 100, that still adds up to a hell of a lot of money.
Old 29th December 2007, 01:19 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
I think the real question here is that do Japanese people appreciate the fact that foreigners own prime Japanese IDNs?

So far from Ryu, we have heard that they will view us as vultures, if there are any disputes we should just turn over our IDNs to him, etc. The general attitude has been negative, which is worse than nothing at all.

I have to ask myself the question that why is he here to begin with? What is the motivation - to sell, to buy, to piss in the fire, what?

Kenne asked the question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenne
Could Japanese members tell me whether some or all of these letters can be inputted with a single keystroke?
Ryu was kind enough to answer from his own experience and I value his opinion. In fact he describes an input method that I have heard others describe as well. It could very well be the most common method. At first it would seem to contradict RD's experience with a greater number of type-ins for single character Japanese Hirigana but in truth both are possible. Just like my own experience. Everyone I talk to says they don't use direct navigation yet the traffic is there and we know it.

I do not doubt that the Japanese might veiw us as vultures. The Japanese name space is not dead however (like carrion) so it would probably be better to describe us as symbiotes. Like the little fish that clean the gills on the shark

Personally I think I carry a great responsibility to treat the names I hold with respect and to develop them in the manner that is best. One of the things that always bugged me about the Ascii namespace was how large corporations bought up many of the best names early. As a result we have search.com pointed to CNet's own site rendering it useless. What do you think is better? Should toothpaste.com go to promote one brand only? (Crest) or would it be better if it went to a parking page where people had a choice?

I would prefer the latter.
Old 29th December 2007, 01:19 PM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
to type 日本, i type nihon, then press space to change it into kanji, and then press ENTER to choose the first one in the list.

about 粧.com, i am not gonna say anything more. it's not related to this thread.
Buddy, you are the one bring up 粧.com first in this thread. You said Kanji is difficult to type in by using 粧.com as a bad example.

The value of single katakana and Hiragana domains will mainly rely on their availability: they are rare domains! They will be always valuable. Once keyword idns gets popular, these single char domains will achieve a higher value. Stats has showed that these domains usually have good typin traffics. I do believe that these domains are good choices for we foreigners to invest on without the need of being a Japanese expert.

Last edited by markits; 29th December 2007 at 01:28 PM..
Old 29th December 2007, 01:28 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
that's very cool, Clotho. so, please go ahead and keep bidding on the one-hiragana domains. i am sure people will appreciate it.

sorry. i am not trying to be mean. but that's what i am getting out of your message.
I don't think you are being mean. You are merely expressing your opinion and I thank you for it.
Old 29th December 2007, 01:38 PM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
The general attitude has been negative, which is worse than nothing at all.

I have to ask myself the question that why is he here to begin with? What is the motivation - to sell, to buy, to piss in the fire, what?
i joined the forum because i wanted to trade some domains here in the future. i haven't done so as yet, but i wll when time comes.

meanwhile, i have been trying to exchange ideas and opinions, too about IDNs. and yes, i am not always sounding positive when it comes to assessing domain names or domain news. i have been doing so because i think it is better to be honest, no matter how unpleasant my opinions are to others, than to just sound always postitive even if i have a question mark at the back of my head. in this thread, i was just trying to answer some questions posted earlier, although it appears that some people got to hate my answers. but all i said here is what i believe bo be facts. and i couldn't say otherwise.

having said that, if a fair number of people here don't like me stating my opinions and want me to shut up, i will. so, if you think that way, please don't hesitate and speak out.

Last edited by Ryu; 29th December 2007 at 01:43 PM..
Old 29th December 2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits
Buddy, you are the one bring up 粧.com first in this thread. You said Kanji is difficult to type in by using 粧.com as a bad example.
yes i am guilty of raising it in the first place. please accept my sincere apologies.
Old 29th December 2007, 01:47 PM
Veteran

If I am resentful it is because you can apparently post threads without them being merged. Now that really is annoying!
Old 29th December 2007, 01:47 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
`having said that, if a fair number of people here don't like me stating my opinions and want me to shut up, i will. so, if you think that way, please don't hesitate and speak out.
Keep on posting your opinion, it sparks good debate that gets everyone thinking. That's what forums are all about.
Old 29th December 2007, 02:17 PM

BlogIDN is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BlogIDN Send a message via MSN to BlogIDN Send a message via Yahoo to BlogIDN

Hello Everyone! I am passionate about Internationalized Domain Names.
I love and respect IDN's. I am looking to help in developing the market and the awareness in these advancements of the Internet domain.

I have an eBay store with some of my domain names:
TopSellingDomains: IDN Domain Names

If you would like then please take a look at the store; and if you would like to offer any constructive criticism, then we would appreciate what you have to offer.

Last edited by BlogIDN; 29th December 2007 at 02:40 PM..
Old 29th December 2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
having said that, if a fair number of people here don't like me stating my opinions and want me to shut up, i will. so, if you think that way, please don't hesitate and speak out.
Please keep stating your opinion. I think we have much that we can learn from each other.

From our point of view we have the benefit of previous experience. From your point of view you have the benefit of being a native speaker. The truth likely lies somewhere in between.

In matters of translation and use I value your opinion greatly. With regards to the matter at hand, we are describing our experiences with the Ascii domain space. In time, short memorable names became extremely valuable. They didn't have to actually mean anything. They just had to be short and memorable.

Perhaps the question should be asked. What is the fewest number of keystrokes you can use to create a Japanese domain? (using your current input method.)
Old 29th December 2007, 02:34 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

This reminds of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. Talking about a domain name while it is being auctioned can never leave it the way it was before.
Old 29th December 2007, 02:46 PM
Veteran

What is the uncertainty of Google sniffing around after one or both of these puppies?

xn--38j.com ご
xn--z8j.com ぐ
Old 29th December 2007, 02:47 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlogIDN
Hello Everyone! I am passionate about Internationalized Domain Names.
I love and respect IDN's. I am looking to help in developing the market and the awareness in these advancements of the Internet domain.

I have an eBay store with some of my domain names:
TopSellingDomains: IDN Domain Names

If you would like then please take a look at the store; and if you would like to offer any constructive criticism, then we would appreciate what you have to offer.
Welcome to the IDN Millionaires' Club!

Unfortunately, Acupuncture is 鍼灸. Yours is wrong, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
i joined the forum because i wanted to trade some domains here in the future. i haven't done so as yet, but i wll when time comes.

meanwhile, i have been trying to exchange ideas and opinions, too about IDNs. and yes, i am not always sounding positive when it comes to assessing domain names or domain news. i have been doing so because i think it is better to be honest, no matter how unpleasant my opinions are to others, than to just sound always postitive even if i have a question mark at the back of my head. in this thread, i was just trying to answer some questions posted earlier, although it appears that some people got to hate my answers. but all i said here is what i believe bo be facts. and i couldn't say otherwise.

I like your opinion. I agree with you 51%, I agree with RD 49%.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@

Last edited by Giant; 29th December 2007 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 29th December 2007, 02:52 PM

BlogIDN is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BlogIDN Send a message via MSN to BlogIDN Send a message via Yahoo to BlogIDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Welcome to the IDN Millionaires' Club!

Unfortunately, Acupuncture is 鍼灸. Yours is wrong, I guess.
When I first acquired that one, I had a reliable translation. Could it have a similar meaning, or a meaning that is something more specific?
Old 29th December 2007, 02:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
When I first acquired that one, I had a reliable translation. Could it have a similar meaning, or a meaning that is something more specific?
鍼 is a variant of 针, but if appears not to be the Traditional Variant. Might be Japanese?
Old 29th December 2007, 03:02 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If you are right then Edwin must be wrong! But no, Edwin lives in Japan and speaks Japanese.

灸 is totally different from 疚.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 29th December 2007, 03:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I think we are going to have to be careful with that word Reliable as it relates to you!
Old 29th December 2007, 03:17 PM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I am with Giant here.
I understand that:
鍼灸-Japanese Acupuncture
针灸-Simp Chinese Acupuncture
針灸-Trad Chinese Acupuncture
針疚, I treat it as a typo. Please google these words to compare.