IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

View Poll Results: Which Language are you betting on?
Chinese 12 35.29%
Japanese 11 32.35%
Russian 2 5.88%
Latin-based Idns (German, French, Spanish, ect.) 2 5.88%
Dingbats 2 5.88%
Arabic 1 2.94%
Korean 0 0%
Thai 1 2.94%
Other (any languages not included) 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2006, 08:01 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Pick your horse. Poll time!

In Light of all wondering and questioning I thought I would start a poll based on Rubber Duck's statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
It is like going Back to the Future and betting on the horses. You cannot bloody loose, if you can remember what won last time!
The biggest trick will be knowing which market is going to explode first. We all know that China will be among the top as they are the ones pushing so hard to get this done. But who will be next and where will be the biggest impact?

Here is your chance to promote the language your investing in and talk down other languages (in a nice way) with facts, numbers, opinions, beliefs.

Pick your horse!

Mine is Japanese.

My top 3 picks in that order.

Japanese
Russian
Chinese

Last edited by sarcle; 18th March 2006 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18th March 2006, 08:25 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: Pick your horse. Poll time!

Hi Sarcle- if you picked Japanese, why is Chinese on top of your bottom list. Want to make sure we are voting for the right thing here...

THANKS FOR CLARIFYING.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 18th March 2006 at 08:30 PM..
Old 18th March 2006, 08:28 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Hi Sarcle- if you picked Japanese, why is Chinese on top of your bottom list. Want to make sure we are voting for the right thing here...
Yes, I should have put Chinese last on my top three list. Changing now!

Japanese

Russian
Chinese

Last edited by sarcle; 18th March 2006 at 08:30 PM..
Old 18th March 2006, 08:42 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I'm guessing in the long run the order of importance will be:

Chinese
Japanese
Arabic
Russian

I especially like Arabic because it feels like a dark horse right now. But without a strong ccTLD (actually too many ccTLDs - this makes .com the one with the global reach) and the large number of countries that use Arabic I think ArabicIDN.com will be huge. It may take some time though.

Near term probably Japanese and Russian.
Old 18th March 2006, 08:45 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I'm guessing in the long run the order of importance will be:

Chinese
Japanese
Arabic
Russian

I especially like Arabic because it feels like a dark horse right now. But without a strong ccTLD (actually too many ccTLDs - this makes .com the one with the global reach) and the large number of countries that use Arabic I think ArabicIDN.com will be huge. It may take some time though.

Near term probably Japanese and Russian.

Everyone forgot about Korea, i think Korea will be well ahead of china and japan.
Old 18th March 2006, 09:19 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Everyone forgot about Korea, i think Korea will be well ahead of china and japan.
too hard to do korean translations tho :Pif you plan to develop
Old 18th March 2006, 09:24 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
They may be, but I'm not counting on Korean for my success. With 7 of my 10 Korean domains being typos (not on purpose) it's hard to expect much.
Old 18th March 2006, 10:36 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

In terms of hits and clicks my Hindi Portfolio is hard on the heals of my Russian and Arabic Porfolios. In view of the fact that Hindi barely properly indexed, there is still little Unicode web content and Google Adwords has yet to make an appearance, I feel this is pretty impressive. Of course the quality of terms is higher than elsewhere.
Other Indic scripts are not far behind but there the terms are just about dream list!

Rubber Duck
Old 18th March 2006, 10:44 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
In terms of hits and clicks my Hindi Portfolio is hard on the heals of my Russian and Arabic Porfolios. In view of the fact that Hindi barely properly indexed, there is still little Unicode web content and Google Adwords has yet to make an appearance, I feel this is pretty impressive. Of course the quality of terms is higher than elsewhere.
Other Indic scripts are not far behind but there the terms are just about dream list!

Rubber Duck
how do you know that what is popular in the u.s. is popular in india tho?

there is no ovt for india either
Old 19th March 2006, 01:30 AM

drbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished road

Well, from whatever little I know of Dave's Indic portfolio (keep stumbling Dave's name in the whois), I can safely say that he has some real top of the league domains. And those hindi names are the ones that are popularly used in spoken form.

I have similar observation as Dave regarding hits on hindi names. Infact, I was expecting no traffic on hindi names at this early stage of the game. So, this has come as a big surprise for me. However, traffic should generate from India which is not happening right now - most part of the traffic is american.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
how do you know that what is popular in the u.s. is popular in india tho?

there is no ovt for india either
Old 19th March 2006, 01:40 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

With most likely no surprise mine is Japanese.. You guys just don't know how much of Japan's web future isn't actually developed yet.
This a really big key in my registrations & the things I'm telling you guys. I'm actually getting good insider scoops on things to come out in Japan.
Not everything that is supposed to be online, has big presence yet. I'm also a site developer so I keep up with web related marketing & technology.
The best advice I can give is, believe in what you want first, then believe Overture.
If you really want sdomething that you know should be popular but the OVT is low realize that after Sedo Japan is launched JAPANESE PEOPLE or other people arounfd the would (end users) will not be determining value based on OVT scores.
Competitive markets, products, should sell the best & perhaps quickest.

Since I will stay in this market I started to expand my portfolio to various extensions & just bought my first 2 .tv (just in case)
Old 19th March 2006, 02:53 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney

Since I will stay in this market I started to expand my portfolio to various extensions & just bought my first 2 .tv (just in case)
Ok - you've peaked my curiousity, Olney. Are you at a point to tell us which 2 .tv you reg'ed?
Old 19th March 2006, 03:20 AM

IDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to IDNer

Chinese
Japanese
Dingbats
Old 19th March 2006, 05:19 AM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I the only one thinking that Latin-based IDNs will explode first because they don't depend on DNAME?

But I also would like to stress that as far as languages are concerned, I am an EOD. Equal Opportunity Domainer. :-)
Old 19th March 2006, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
Am I the only one thinking that Latin-based IDNs will explode first because they don't depend on DNAME?

But I also would like to stress that as far as languages are concerned, I am an EOD. Equal Opportunity Domainer. :-)
none of them really depend on DNAME.... (they've been typing these TLD's/ccltds for years)

ppl in other countries can still type .com .cn .tv etc but .idn isn't compatiable with them yet.
Old 19th March 2006, 05:29 AM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If you really want sdomething that you know should be popular but the OVT is low realize that after Sedo Japan is launched JAPANESE PEOPLE or other people arounfd the would (end users) will not be determining value based on OVT scores.
I agree. Some Japanese OVT scores for top generic words seem very low. I always thought that a tech-savy nation like Japan should be a lot more advanced in terms on the Internet. From what I understand, Japan is a lot more advanced in the "tech" sense than the US. Or am I totally off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
none of them really depend on DNAME.... (they've been typing these TLD's/ccltds for years)

ppl in other countries can still type .com .cn .tv etc but .idn isn't compatiable with them yet.
I should have said "keyboard switching".

Last edited by Explorer; 19th March 2006 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 19th March 2006, 05:36 AM

what OVT would u consider good for a dictionary word olney? I saw a few 2k-4k which i avoided!

some are techy too!
Old 19th March 2006, 06:31 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

For example my loan related keywords domains.
Based on OVT none one would want them.
Ask a common Japanese person & it's a darn good registration because they were all common finance related terms.
I try to keep preaching conversions to you guys.
Not every company wants every user under the sun.
The same concept applies in doing SEO work.
Companies will want domains that are directly related to their exact service or product.
One of my clients keeps me aware of this. His company could be optimized for more terms but he wants to concentrate on just terms that convert, nothing else. The more inquiries that don't convert means more work when you have a small comnpany that handles very big deals.

As far as my .tv I tried to use domainsite to register them & they didn't go through...
There's only about two terms I would be interested in but I might forget them I own the dot coms already. They might not be in my profile list..
Old 19th March 2006, 06:37 AM

Quote:

As far as my .tv I tried to use domainsite to register them & they didn't go through...
There's only about two terms I would be interested in but I might forget them I own the dot coms already. They might not be in my profile list..
ah so you never ended up getting them? character block? Thats why so many names i wanted to get showed up as available ;(
Old 19th March 2006, 07:32 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

My lowest Japanese overture scores are around 500 and I have tons of names in the 2,000-5,000 range for the same reason Olney is advocating i.e. small amounts of hyper-focused traffic will end up being as valuable, if not more so, than larger amounts of vaguely related traffic.

On the original thread topic, my ranking would be...

1. Japanese
2. Russian
3. Chinese
4. Everything else