IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2008, 05:42 PM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough
Have you seen this Chinese bus?

Don't worry, Chinese people know how to type this domain into browser address bar.
Old 4th January 2008, 05:45 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Re: Have you seen this Chinese bus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits
Don't worry, Chinese people know how to type this domain into browser address bar.

LOL :-) That's funny!

Old 4th January 2008, 05:46 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Nice one Markits! That what I like unequivocal evidence!

So are you confirming you can convert from PinYin to Hanzi within the browser?

How does it work for revisits? Do you have to type the whole thing out or do you get suggestion box prompting you with the Hanzi, as you would if typing English?
Old 4th January 2008, 05:50 PM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

RD I don't know how to direct put Hanzi into the address bar but I have seen people doing this. Under the Chinese system you can type Hanzi to anywhere the mouse points to, just like we type English alphebates.
Old 4th January 2008, 05:52 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck

So are you confirming you can convert from PinYin to Hanzi within the browser?

How does it work for revisits? Do you have to type the whole thing out or do you get suggestion box prompting you with the Hanzi, as you would if typing English?

Of course you get the drop down suggestion box. The browser is UTF-8 enabled. It stores characters as UTF-8 in the history.

I regularly type in IDNs to visit my own latin sites or a Finnish weather site sää.fi (weather.fi). Yes, the browser drops down the list.

Example: I type sä and I get dropdown choices for särkänniemi.fi and sää.fi.

It doesn't matter if it's an ä or a chinese character, it's all Unicode to the browser.

Old 4th January 2008, 05:54 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Nice one. But you are not typing Unicode in Japanese, are you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Of course you get the drop down suggestion box. The browser is UTF-8 enabled. It stores characters as UTF-8 in the history.

I regularly type in IDNs to visit my own latin sites or a Finnish weather site sää.fi (weather.fi). Yes, the browser drops down the list.

Example: I type sä and I get dropdown choices for särkänniemi.fi and sää.fi.

It doesn't matter if it's an ä or a chinese character, it's all Unicode to the browser.

Old 4th January 2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Yes you are right I do get a suggestion box prompting me with the Hanzi.com (net etc) that was previously visited.
Old 4th January 2008, 05:58 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Great to see this Markits! what city is the photo taken in do you know?
Old 4th January 2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275
Great to see this Markits! what city is the photo taken in do you know?
Guangzhou. The original thread is here: http://www.domain.cn/club/viewthread...extra=page%3D1
Memeber 'onlylove' there took the photo with his phone camera.
Old 4th January 2008, 06:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Yes you are right I do get a suggestion box prompting me with the Hanzi.com (net etc) that was previously visited.
Does the IME do this "on the fly" or do you have to convert the first one or two characters before it kicks in?

Are you using IE7 and XP both in Chinese Versions?
Old 4th January 2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Nice one. But you are not typing Unicode in Japanese, are you!
It doesn't matter.

A UTF-8 enabled application does not see Japanese, Chinese, Korean, or Cyrillic - it blindly sees UTF-8 codepoints. The conversion from input to UTF-8 codepoint happens by operating system libraries, the browser actually has very little to do with it. The browser only uses the interface facilities which are provided by the operating system.

Old 4th January 2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Does the IME do this "on the fly" or do you have to convert the first one or two characters before it kicks in?

Are you using IE7 and XP both in Chinese Versions?
I am not very clear RD, I have never had a PC with Chinese operating system since I am not living in Mainland China.
Old 4th January 2008, 06:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I am not very clear RD, I have never had a PC with Chinese operating system since I am not living in Mainland China.
Conversion from Latin to Hanzi requires an IME (Input Method Editor). Prior to Windows 2000, this was a separate piece of software. If you have not installed one then we may assume, I think, that the IME is contained in the English Version of XP or whatever it is that you are using. We can also assume that your browser is fully compatible with the IME in the Operating System. I would be stunned if this actually works flawlessly between Firefox and XP, even for dot JP and dot CN.
Old 4th January 2008, 06:27 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

Very interesting to see that Gillette is going with dot Com's IDN's in China, and
not dot CN.

I think the old school guys are finally going to realize that ASCII dot Com's and
IDN dot com's are all dot com's in the end....

Triangulation with "xn--…............" simply hides the DNS complexity from the user.

thank you very much for posting this.…..
It is wonderful to have marketing proof from a big multi-national brand....

Steve
Old 4th January 2008, 06:28 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

weird, i can't seem to access the site?
Old 4th January 2008, 06:29 PM

It was accessable