IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2006, 10:34 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road
Total portfolio footprint?

I posted a few days about the concept of the "footprint" of a name i.e. its OT score multiplied by the max OT bid on the exact keyword/keyphrase contained in the domain.

Now I want to take that further and consider the footprint of an entire portfolio.

I'm still working on collating data, but based on a 20% sample of my Japanese domains, my total "footprint" will be around 18,000,000 Overture and Y80 average Overture bid, making a grand total of Y1,440,000,000/month or $12.5 million/month of portfolio footprint.

How about yours?
Old 19th March 2006, 11:14 AM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo
Re: Total portfolio footprint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
I posted a few days about the concept of the "footprint" of a name i.e. its OT score multiplied by the max OT bid on the exact keyword/keyphrase contained in the domain.

Now I want to take that further and consider the footprint of an entire portfolio.

I'm still working on collating data, but based on a 20% sample of my Japanese domains, my total "footprint" will be around 18,000,000 Overture and Y80 average Overture bid, making a grand total of Y1,440,000,000/month or $12.5 million/month of portfolio footprint.

How about yours?
On the same lines I was thinking about some kind of relative quality indicator:
(lang.OVT.max + 3*lang.OVT.term) * bid average * (yahoo+google)/2 *M/nameLength /1.000.000

With M a language dependent factor, i.e. asian sign languages would have 4/5 characters as the norm so M is 4-5, character based languages would have 7-8 characters as the norm.

Would be nice if we could have a good comparison of our portfolio's without sharing to much info .
Old 19th March 2006, 01:06 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I know that is a theoretical figure and you would actually expect to take that much but that is starting to look like a lot of money to me! Say you actually get a quarter of that, You would actually be roughly on par with Domain King!

That has to be a bit high. What would you best guess of earnings potential actually be?

Rubber Duck

Quote:

How about yours?

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 19th March 2006 at 01:10 PM..
Old 19th March 2006, 01:22 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

When I calculate earnings power, I assume that 10% of OVT score will be type-ins. The type-ins will be shared by .JP, .COM and .NET. Let's say that .COM gets 40% of that. Also, max OVT bid is somewhat misleading. Instead, I use an average price per keyword, divided by 2, since OVT keeps a half.
Old 19th March 2006, 01:35 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
When I calculate earnings power, I assume that 10% of OVT score will be type-ins. The type-ins will be shared by .JP, .COM and .NET. Let's say that .COM gets 40% of that. Also, max OVT bid is somewhat misleading. Instead, I use an average price per keyword, divided by 2, since OVT keeps a half.
So, it the domains are simply parked then a 1% of Edwins Porfolio foot print would be a reasonable expectation of income? Or in his case a mere $125,000 dollars a month!
Old 19th March 2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
So, it the domains are simply parked then a 1% of Edwins Porfolio foot print would be a reasonable expectation of income? Or in his case a mere $125,000 dollars a month!
That's correct. Given those numbers, I would expect that portoflio to generate between $100K and $150K a month from parking.
Old 19th March 2006, 02:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
That's correct. Given those numbers, I would expect that portoflio to generate between $100K and $150K a month from parking.
Well, that is comfortable retirement territory by anyone's standards.

Well done, Edwin!
Old 19th March 2006, 02:43 PM

Actually, the real money is in the development. The parking business is great, but we all should consider that we are missing out on:

1. Most search engines do not rank domains with a page filled with ad links. You are missing out on 90% of people who use search engines.
2. The money from the advertiser gets split beteen google, parking service and you. You keep only 25% or so. If Joe Japanese sells widgets and each customer is worth a dollar to him, why can't you do that, especially if you own widget.com.
3. If you think you got a solid click through rate of 20%, consider that 80% of customers still leave the site without buying anything.

I think it was you who said that Asian web developing is a gold mine. I can't agree more.
Old 19th March 2006, 03:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Actually, the real money is in the development. The parking business is great, but we all should consider that we are missing out on:

1. Most search engines do not rank domains with a page filled with ad links. You are missing out on 90% of people who use search engines.
2. The money from the advertiser gets split beteen google, parking service and you. You keep only 25% or so. If Joe Japanese sells widgets and each customer is worth a dollar to him, why can't you do that, especially if you own widget.com.
3. If you think you got a solid click through rate of 20%, consider that 80% of customers still leave the site without buying anything.

I think it was you who said that Asian web developing is a gold mine. I can't agree more.
Yes, I am sure you are correct. I would obviously investigate development longer-term, but probably on the back of the shorter-term parking revenues.
Old 19th March 2006, 03:46 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I checked with namedrive, they would not do SEO on the parking page, not even labeling the page title by the keyword instead of the present domain plus .com, or setting meta tag keywords.

I am being advised to forward to ND instead, but i remembered Google penalizes websites for forwarding?

Many of you here are experts in domains (i'm a newbie, only started last year nov), any knowledge to show off?
Old 19th March 2006, 08:14 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Actually, the figure I was mentally pencilling in was 0.1% i.e. $12,500/month. Even that would be great!

Remember, my formula uses the MAX OT bid, which is often very high compared to reality. And it assumes a 100% CTR and a 100% revenue share. Even ASCII parked domains probably make at best 1%-2% of their "theoretical footprint".
Old 19th March 2006, 08:18 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I checked with namedrive, they would not do SEO on the parking page, not even labeling the page title by the keyword instead of the present domain plus .com, or setting meta tag keywords.

I am being advised to forward to ND instead, but i remembered Google penalizes websites for forwarding?

Many of you here are experts in domains (i'm a newbie, only started last year nov), any knowledge to show off?
It is a framed website, which is ok but the metatags should be added at the registrar, dd24 unfortunately doesn't allow this, domainsite does.
Old 19th March 2006, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Don;t worry. When the traffic explodes, the PPC providers will be tripping over each other to deliver the product we need to us.
Old 20th March 2006, 07:50 AM

At 35% done, things are getting better. Looks like the full footprint will be closer to 22,000,000 OT and Y2,000,000,000 (i.e. $17,500,000).

I'll post a final update when I finish crunching all my portfolio data.
Old 22nd March 2006, 12:31 PM

Ok, here are the final numbers.

Japanese Domains: 1,662
Total OT: 21,226,856 (average of 12,772 per name)
Total footprint: Y1,667,890,109 (average of Y1,003,544 per name)

Not bad, better than my first forecast and a bit below my second clearly over-optimistic one... Now to wait for the 0.1%

I've said it before, but I'd love to see similar data from others!

Last edited by Edwin; 22nd March 2006 at 12:38 PM..
Old 22nd March 2006, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

I'd like to thank you for distracting yourself long enough to do all those figures - while you were gone I managed to find a few Japanese names with OV still available.

Got 'em b4 the vacuum cleaner did! :^)
Old 22nd March 2006, 07:42 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Even ASCII parked domains probably make at best 1%-2% of their "theoretical footprint"
I hadn't realized it was so low -- depressing!

My numbers thus far:

Japanese IDN: 355
Total overture: 13,607,087 (38,329.82)
Footprint (Σ max bid * ovt) : 843,015,998

Observations:

- Many hotel related bids doubled from around Jan to now, so error margin is large
- Bids in general seem >20% higher than in Jan
- Top 10 footprints make up 42% of total footprint
Old 22nd March 2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
Japanese IDN: 355
Total overture: 13,607,087 (38,329.82)
Footprint (Σ max bid * ovt) : 843,015,998
Looks like you've been much more selective than me. Well done!
Old 22nd March 2006, 08:31 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Thanks -- got lucky with a few names which pushed the average up a tad.

In re: to bids:

I didn't consider cases where there was only one high bid.

What happens there?

Is it 'smartpriced' to the minimum of Y9 since there is no competition for ad space?

What happens when there are two bids of say, Y100 and Y200?

Would the high bid be reduced to Y101 with the second bid becoming the floor at Y100?

Quote:
Actually, the figure I was mentally pencilling in was 0.1% i.e. $12,500/month. Even that would be great!
Where did 0.1% come from? Just an ultraconservative figure?

Even with a .jp leakage of 50%, we should be looking at CTR * Direct Nav % * leakage = 10% * 5% * 50% = 0.25% of total footprint.

That would be $31,250 using your numbers!!

Last edited by gammascalper; 22nd March 2006 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 14th April 2006, 07:13 AM

I've recrunched my Japanese "footprint" data to account for my more recent regs (which were "below average" compared to what I had already, but still stuff I felt it was nice to have).

Total domains: 2,033
Total Overture: 24,750,000 approx.
Total bids: Y1,770,000,000 approx.

Not bad at all

Last edited by Edwin; 14th April 2006 at 07:21 AM..