IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 日本語ドメイン

日本語ドメイン Discussion for Japan IDN Domain names. Japanese IDNs are available in .com .net & .jp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th January 2008, 02:01 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Evidence of type-in traffic

Many of my developed japanese portfolio gets ghost levels of type-in traffic when viewed on analytics. I do have exactly one site where I am certain the traffic is really direct traffic from honest to goodness websurfers.

It is a tax domain. It is short 3 character domain and it is a .com. The .jp is held in reserve by JPRS. The people who type in are no doubt looking for the tax agency to which it refers. In the past 30 days - it has received 21 visits and 12 of those are from direct navigation. Those 12 visits came from 10 different japanese cities and 6 of them were macintosh users. Of the rest, 5 used firefox and one used IE (version not specified).
Old 7th January 2008, 05:02 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: Evidence of type-in traffic

Yes, can confirm that Mac Safari traffic has been there at low levels all along.
Old 7th January 2008, 04:10 PM

Guys this is the key lynchpin of all future Japanese IDN value. No one has more anecdotal evidence?

RD - could you PM me your traffic on the kana domains you have for Dec 2007 to present if you want me to check for you. Obviously, I cannot do anything today to ascertain whether you were indexed or not to a SE in Feb 2006.

Anyone else?
Old 7th January 2008, 05:02 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

I get between 50 to 90 type-ins a month for three quarters of my non-adult japanese dot coms. December seems to be a bad mth for japanese with both yahoo and google referrals down.
Old 7th January 2008, 05:15 PM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough

I had always believed that a few of my Japanese domains receive nice type-ins, although I don't have evidence from analytics log. eg, カレンダー.com, last three month stats:

US$ 7.48 227 76 % 33.48 US$ 0.10 US$ 32.94
Old 7th January 2008, 05:22 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Clipboard Image Link sent.

I have always assumed that this traffic is due to parking, but I don't have any firm evidence to support it, just no sensible explanation of where else it might have come from.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Guys this is the key lynchpin of all future Japanese IDN value. No one has more anecdotal evidence?

RD - could you PM me your traffic on the kana domains you have for Dec 2007 to present if you want me to check for you. Obviously, I cannot do anything today to ascertain whether you were indexed or not to a SE in Feb 2006.

Anyone else?
Old 7th January 2008, 05:26 PM
Veteran

You have to use analytics to filter out the direct traffic. The ND figures are no use to ascertain type-in. To take example, you can have like 10,000 views 500 clicks, but only 50 is direct traffic. I often unpark my name and hook up to analytics for 2-3 days just to check type-in.
Old 7th January 2008, 05:28 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

What is this "direct" traffic that needs filtering out?
Old 7th January 2008, 05:30 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
You have to use analytics to filter out the direct traffic. The ND figures are no use to ascertain type-in. To take example, you can have like 10,000 views 500 clicks, but only 50 is direct traffic.
I suggested building a full-fledged parking statistics service, but nobody was interested. Actually, I am still building it - about half-way through - but I won't provide this service cheaply, the information is extremely valuable to portfolio holders.

Old 7th January 2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
What is this "direct" traffic that needs filtering out?
Touch's approach is correct, you need to be able to identify traffic by source. Analytics does that well. "Direct" traffic is type-in traffic (although it can also be traffic from bookmarks but we will ignore that for the moment). Everything else comes from referrals from another website or a search engine.

If you look at this most of you may find yourself surprised at how much google or yahoo traffic you actually have.
Old 7th January 2008, 05:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
I suggested building a full-fledged parking statistics service, but nobody was interested. Actually, I am still building it - about half-way through - but I won't provide this service cheaply, the information is extremely valuable to portfolio holders.

Information is always valuable and sometimes a trade secret.

I've been data mining info and spent more time analyzing type-in, traffic patterns than registering names.

There are many reasons why people don't want to know too much of this information. Buyers may fear to see the real info, sellers may fear that the real info will scare the buyers.
Old 7th January 2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I get between 50 to 90 type-ins a month for three quarters of my non-adult japanese dot coms. December seems to be a bad mth for japanese with both yahoo and google referrals down.
Touch could you PM me a representative screenshot so I can validate your claim that this is all type-in traffic. It's ok if you don't want to but I just find that number unbelievably high. I really really want that to be true but need to see it for myself. Thanks.

Quote:

It is clearly a very good idea, but at this point in parking traffic it may be hard for me to justify the cost.

Last edited by rhys; 7th January 2008 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 7th January 2008, 05:41 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Information is always valuable and sometimes a trade secret.

I've been data mining info and spent more time analyzing type-in, traffic patterns than registering names.

There are many reasons why people don't want to know too much of this information. Buyers may fear to see the real info, sellers may fear that the real info will scare the buyers.
The service I am building will naturally have isolated and confidential reporting, except that I would obviously have access to all of it (that's probably what people don't like).

Refusing to use a service which is this useful that somebody else builds when you are not capable of doing it yourself is called cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Old 7th January 2008, 05:46 PM
Veteran

Rhys,

I guess most of my assumption are just being transferred on to rather flaky Japanese Traffic from increasing robust Cyrillic Traffic. If the growth in Russian Traffic is explained by Google Referrals then, Yandex and Rambler are in serious trouble, as will be Yahoo and MS because that would mean they are achieving credibility globally. I, however, rather prefer to believe that increase in traffic is due to intense browser competition in the Russian Market which could break out in the Far East very soon!
Old 7th January 2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
If the growth in Russian Traffic is explained by Google Referrals then, Yandex and Rambler are in serious trouble, as will be Yahoo and MS because that would mean they are achieving credibility globally. I, however, rather prefer to believe that increase in traffic is due to intense browser competition in the Russian Market which could break out in the Far East very soon!
Or it could be so simple as this: Opera is strong in Russia and Opera still defaults to dot com for keyword + enter. More Russians are coming online every day. Only 11% of the population is currently online. With the prices of oil being what they are, there is a growing middle class in Russia.

Old 7th January 2008, 05:54 PM
Veteran

Sure, here:

language: ja-jp (safari?)

language: ja

Old 7th January 2008, 05:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Or it could be so simple as this: Opera is strong in Russia and Opera still defaults to dot com for keyword + enter. More Russians are coming online every day. Only 11% of the population is currently online. With the prices of oil being what they are, there is a growing middle class in Russia.

Well if that is what it takes to get Ivan to understand that Cyrillic.com is alive and kicking, that is fine by me!
Old 7th January 2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Rhys,

I guess most of my assumption are just being transferred on to rather flaky Japanese Traffic from increasing robust Cyrillic Traffic. If the growth in Russian Traffic is explained by Google Referrals then, Yandex and Rambler are in serious trouble, as will be Yahoo and MS because that would mean they are achieving credibility globally. I, however, rather prefer to believe that increase in traffic is due to intense browser competition in the Russian Market which could break out in the Far East very soon!
I honestly cannot comment on cyrillic type-in although in that market due to the popularity of firefox it stands to reason that there is much more day 1 type-in traffic.

The chief question in Japan in my mind is not 1. "Will Advertisers jump aboard an IDN bandwagon" because they will once this makes sense to do so. It is not, 2. "Are Japanese people able to type in Japanese?" because they can. Rather, the important question is 3. "Will Japanese people type in URLs if they have the browsers to do so?" This is the question that keeps me up at night.

My hypothesis is that - Mac users are a good proxy for Windows users and what Mac users are doing today online, Windows users will be doing tomorrow when IE7 rules the roost. Therefore, I am specifically looking for proof of type-in traffic to Japanese IDNs and then underneath that looking at type-in user characteristics like their browser and operating system.

My tax domain got me all excited because the evidence from it validates my hypothesis. But this by itself is thin, I want more evidence. As Japan is a market where the vast majority of browsers are not yet IDN enabled, even very low levels of type-in traffic coming from macintosh users should help us all sleep easier at night. The mac users can be a great proxy for the kind of behavior windows users will exhibit once the means to do so are in their hands.
Old 7th January 2008, 06:02 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Only 11% of the population is currently online.
Source pls?
And is this news that idn's get type-ins?
Old 7th January 2008, 06:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 261275
Source pls?
And is this news that idn's get type-ins?
It might be if you have a predominantly Japanese portfolio. I am only really convinced of what I am seeing in Japan, because of what I am seeing in Russia.