IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2006, 05:30 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Building Wealth

Here is a feel good moment. Excerpt from a piece by Lester Thurow I read reminded me of what we are doing....

"[they] see opportunities to work and invest in situations where great disequilibriums-imbalances or openings in the economy created by new cirumstances-exist. Something, usually a new technology, has opened up opportunities to jump to new products with very different capabilities or to new processes with much higher levels of productivity. This was as true for John D. Rockefeller as it is for Bill Gates. For both of them lifetime savings constituted a small fraction of total wealth. Carefully saving money and investing in normal equilibrium situations can make one comfortable in old age but never really wealthy. Real wealth is the ability to produce more with less-to generate a flow of goods and services without having to sacrifice something else of equal value......

....Great creativity requires hard facts, wild imagintion, and nonlogical jumps forward that are then proved to be right by working backward to known principles. Only the rebellious can do it.

Last edited by rhys; 19th March 2006 at 05:33 PM..
Old 19th March 2006, 05:55 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Building Wealth

Who me?

Yep! That's a Big 10-4 Old Buddy!

This model of wealth generation actually works better than counterfeiting bank notes!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 19th March 2006 at 05:59 PM..
Old 19th March 2006, 06:03 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Who me?

Yep! That's a Big 10-4 Old Buddy!

This model of wealth generation actually works better than counterfeiting bank notes!

How about Warren Buffet, he didn't invent some technology did he?
Old 19th March 2006, 06:06 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
No, but he has invested in those that have spotted dramatic business opportunities and had business plans to exploit them in innovative ways. In many ways his investment strategies were an entirely new business model all of their own.
Old 19th March 2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
His critical insight was that insurance company float could be better deployed by a prudent manager as capital for acquisition. This coupled with the fact that he was already a brilliant investor made for dazzling returns.
Old 19th March 2006, 06:36 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
This coupled with the fact that he was already a brilliant investor made for dazzling returns.
Yes, and we are about to show the world what you can do with $8 in a year's time.

I hope their shoes are buckled because their socks could get blown right through them.
Old 19th March 2006, 06:55 PM
Veteran

Well, my return on Tokyo.net was 125,000% and that was in just 6 months, and frankly that was a soft sale! Even Warren would be impressed with that!
Old 19th March 2006, 07:52 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well, my return on Tokyo.net was 125,000% and that was in just 6 months, and frankly that was a soft sale! Even Warren would be impressed with that!
Yes, I do agree. Large sales are needed and do prove the existence of after-market demand. The problem is, what also is needed are raw numbers that IDN can support themselves independently of these large sales. Until we get IE7, proper parking programs, and most importantly traffic! We will be doomed to listen to these idiots talk about our own destruction.

But all of this is only a stones throw away. We will be golden come summer!
Old 19th March 2006, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

>and frankly that was a soft sale!

Soft? It was positively mushy!
Old 20th March 2006, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
Yes, I do agree. Large sales are needed and do prove the existence of after-market demand. The problem is, what also is needed are raw numbers that IDN can support themselves independently of these large sales. Until we get IE7, proper parking programs, and most importantly traffic! We will be doomed to listen to these idiots talk about our own destruction.

But all of this is only a stones throw away. We will be golden come summer!

Indian summer I dare caution. Though my question is when the gates are opened with IE7 will the revolution start with a bang or a whimper. I vote it's a whimper that grows to a steady roar by twelve months after. BANG BANG BANG!
Old 20th March 2006, 08:15 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Indian summer I dare caution. Though my question is when the gates are opened with IE7 will the revolution start with a bang or a whimper. I vote it's a whimper that grows to a steady roar by twelve months after. BANG BANG BANG!
I don't think it will be a whimper as so many people are on Automatic Updates primarily due to security issues associated with IE 6.0.

I believe the Japanese and Chinese in particular will be very exited about being able to type their own characters into the address bar.

The initial euphoria will cool as people realise that there is very little content against these names, but content providers will soon start rolling out revamped sites so the lull after the intial rush will soon give way to a steady climb. Once a few sites gain search engine advantage due to IDN, then panick will ensue amongst end users to get converted.

The ride will be a bit bumpy to start with as far as traffic is concerned, but very exciting.

As far as the secondary market is concerned IE 7.0 will certainly start the race as far as big time speculators and investors are concerned. Once the belief is there that the traffic is coming there will be a steady stream of high profile sales.