IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th January 2008, 11:06 AM

zorglub is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to zorglub Send a message via Yahoo to zorglub Send a message via Skype™ to zorglub
Which IDN script to mine today ?

I come late to the IDNs and while there's still a lot of available domains in the other extensions, the .com seem to be already mined :
- in latin (I mostly looked at french names)
- in arabic, I searched a lot... there still may be interesting interesting .coms but it's hard to find them
- in chinese, japanese, korean, russian, I didn't search a lot but seems well mined too

So which language/IDN script would you advise looking into today ?
Old 10th January 2008, 11:22 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Re: Which IDN script to mine today ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorglub
I come late to the IDNs and while there's still a lot of available domains in the other extensions, the .com seem to be already mined :
- in latin (I mostly looked at french names)
- in arabic, I searched a lot... there still may be interesting interesting .coms but it's hard to find them
- in chinese, japanese, korean, russian, I didn't search a lot but seems well mined too

So which language/IDN script would you advise looking into today ?

You could try looking at swahili or amhari, for example. :o

All of the languages you mention have indeed been well mined.

Old 10th January 2008, 11:36 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

If you are serious about buying a good amount of names, I would cut to the chase and buy some lists of available .com, .jp etc.
Also, watch for good sales on this forum, dnforum.com, and idnclub.com.

Languages with still some nice stuff...try Thai (thai-language.com) is good resource, click on catagories at top for lots of lists.
Also seeing many still getting Vietnamese names, Hindi names, and Eastern European names.

If you want to check keywords in LOTS of languages, try logos dictionary (click on top left link: logos dictionary) and put your word in. This is a public dictionary added by readers so re-check your sources. There are up to 80 languages per word. Of course check all words with google using "quotation" marks around the term to see if you get lots of hits. Many times the entries here by local speakers are better than the dictionary, then again some of these people can't spell! So check and recheck!

http://www.logosdictionary.org/pls/d...ionary.index_p

Good luck.
PS- if you are not sure of a name, register at dynadot.com where you have a 4 day drop window. You can post regs here for appraisal by native speakers.
Old 10th January 2008, 11:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to zorglub Send a message via Yahoo to zorglub Send a message via Skype™ to zorglub

Great advice bwhhisc, thanks ! Did you mean lists of non-registred interesting .coms ? Why would somebody sell this and not register them ? This doesn't make me confident about buying before seeing. Anyway where to find those lists ?
Old 10th January 2008, 12:01 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Great advice bwhhisc, thanks ! Did you mean lists of non-registred interesting .coms ? Why would somebody sell this and not register them ? This doesn't make me confident about buying before seeing. Anyway where to find those lists ?

Now the inescapable logic of buying lists has hit you in the forehead like a silver bullet.

Old 10th January 2008, 12:02 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

In certain languages and if the word fits the .TV extn, .TV will have untapped names simply due to the cost of them

and there are some examples I won't mention that demonstrate a healthy aftermarket for good .tv's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Now the inescapable logic of buying lists has hit you in the forehead like a silver bullet.

I know from personal experience exactly where Bill is coming from with his comment of buying lists. And i know exactly where MJ is coming from too.

The reality is, it is a gamble that rarely pays off - but that's not to say that anyone offering a list is trying to swindle you - some people have gorged enough on tier 2/3 names and are simply passing over their unwanted left overs.

Last edited by alpha; 10th January 2008 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10th January 2008, 12:48 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The lists are often so long that you can't register them all, and also there are good and bad terms since they are often culled by computer programs. Once you get the list, then you own work has to begin.

Lists might be best defined as "the best of whats left". Some lists are 5,000- 15,000 terms long, so you cant possibly buy them all.
The value of the list is that there is usually hundreds of hours of work already put into them google scoring, running overture, running bids etc.

I have bought about 10 lists over the last 2 years from other members here, never disappointed me with the quality I got.
On average based on registrations they have "added" a cost to me about $1 per name registered.

PS- The guys who say "lists are junk and worthless" usually haven't bought any themselves.

And another thing...I have had offers on SINGLE names I registered off lists for MORE than I paid for all the lists together!
My private sales of idns (and I don't even want to sell any) have now reached xx,xxx totals.
So...you tell me if they are worthwhile.

Quote:
Now the inescapable logic of buying lists has hit you in the forehead like a silver bullet. .
Michael, if you have never bought any lists...how can you possibly know what is on them?
I have posted up a hundred or more of my "list" regs in the past, most were pretty nice terms.
My first sorting criteria on my .jp list was that the .com was taken in 2000, 2001, 2002 or 2003.
Next, that for the same term the .net was taken by a native speaker. That was a pretty amazing list by itself.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 10th January 2008 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10th January 2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Michael, if you have never bought any lists...how can you possibly know what is on them?
Bill, let's just say that we will have a friendly "agree to disagree" understanding on this subject, probably forever!

Old 10th January 2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Bill, let's just say that we will have a friendly "agree to disagree" understanding on this subject, probably forever!.
Perhaps when everyone is "making hay" with their IDNs I will publish "the lists" for free so you can see what you missed. :p

Last edited by bwhhisc; 10th January 2008 at 01:38 PM..
Old 10th January 2008, 01:43 PM

Alphamale : indeed I still find numerous .tv that have strong branding possibilities, because or thanks to the higher reg price (ex : قناة.tv = channel.tv)

I think I could have a look at lists offers, I'm going to see if there's a section for this in the forum. Otherwise PM me with a description of the list and the price, except if it's for .tv domains.
Old 10th January 2008, 02:40 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Perhaps when everyone is "making hay" with their IDNs I will publish "the lists" for free so you can see what you missed. :p
good advice Bill
Old 10th January 2008, 02:52 PM

sunsei21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sunsei21 Send a message via Skype™ to sunsei21

well lists are not a bad if they are good but it takes away the thrill of the hunt.