IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 域名

域名 Discussion for Chinese IDN domain names. Chinese domains include .cn, .com, & .net.
This section is for discussion only Please do NOT post Chinese domains for sale here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd November 2005, 04:35 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road
China going it alone?

http://www.dailybulletin.com/business/ci_3236939

According to the above article,
Quote:
Some aren't waiting. China set up its own ".com" in Chinese within its borders, while an Arabic consortium is testing suffixes in Arabic. A Turkish group pushing a splinter Internet network has touted its potential to support addresses entirely in Turkish.

These unofficial efforts, however, risk fracturing the Internet.

People in China entering a Chinese ".com" address might get one site listed in the government's directories while someone in Europe might reach a different one from the global, sanctioned directories.
Does that mean that if China doesn't back down, all global Chinese IDNs will end up being totally worthless since nobody in China will be able to reach them?
Old 22nd November 2005, 05:50 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: China going it alone?

Hey Edwin excellent article

This quote alone is the reason why I started to buy IDNs

Quote:
"When I see an interesting advertisement on the train, I want to go back to its Web site later, but I usually forget the (address) when it's only in English," said Motoyuki Fujiwara, a consumer electronics marketing manager in Tokyo.
I'm really heavy into marketing & am absolutely sure Japanese can remember IDNs (especially the high profile ones I personally own) a million times better than the English ones...

Can't wait to see the first IDN while riding the Yamanote Line.
Old 22nd November 2005, 08:16 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
http://www.dailybulletin.com/business/ci_3236939

According to the above article,
Quote:
Some aren't waiting. China set up its own ".com" in Chinese within its borders, while an Arabic consortium is testing suffixes in Arabic. A Turkish group pushing a splinter Internet network has touted its potential to support addresses entirely in Turkish.

These unofficial efforts, however, risk fracturing the Internet.

People in China entering a Chinese ".com" address might get one site listed in the government's directories while someone in Europe might reach a different one from the global, sanctioned directories.
Does that mean that if China doesn't back down, all global Chinese IDNs will end up being totally worthless since nobody in China will be able to reach them?
There would appear to be a risk of this, although what China seems to be demanding is that is given a ccTLD that resolve directly through DNS in Chinese. This appears to be technically possible and it looks as though this will be the first phase of the implementation of first level IDN on a global basis.

i-DNS.com of Singapore had been promoting all this as an alternative to Verisign Registered names, but it looks as though things are moving to a more consensual approach. There has never really been a threat of anyone else breaking away from the Global Internet, and I think that China realises that this would not ultimately be in its interest. There is quite a bit of posturing going on here! I think China's main objective is fire a rocket up ICANNs arse, but it would also seem to be related to questions over the Global Governance of the Internet. If anyone is out on a bit of a limb on this one it is the US, and things are only going to get worse. Potentially, you could end up with a system where gTLDs only work in North America, but I think we are long way from that position. Still when you see World Series sports events in the US where nothing actually takes place outside its own boundaries, anything is possible!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Old 22nd November 2005, 01:26 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Actually Japan did break away from the internet by creating iMode....

Most people outside of Japan just don't realize it...
Old 22nd November 2005, 06:43 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Interesting read. China does have a recent history of massive engineering undertaking without precendent or heeding to international opinion (3 Gorges, for one), but I think their current leadership generally does what they perceive is to be for the economic greater good of their population.

Like many countries, their sunken cost in the current system in the form of investment and URL mindshare is too much to abandon. Therefore, my opinion is that they'll continue to use 'threats' like this as leverage for concessions elsewhere. Politics, I guess.
Old 30th November 2005, 10:37 AM

IDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to IDNer

Quote:
Hi Edwin,

Have you save a copy of that article (and could post it here)? As the page says:

[The content item you have requested is no longer available.]

when I click that dailybulletin's url...

Thanks !
Old 30th November 2005, 06:44 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Just checking out some stuff. Found this quote on i-dns.net

For example, Chinese Internet users can now access www.njstar.com by keying in (Missing graphic representation of Local name with First Level IDN as per Verisigns proposals for dot com) on the web address bar.

http://www.i-dns.net/support_downloa...beginners.html

This shows that -i-dns.net, China and Verisign are all pulling in same direction.

Verisign's proposed mapping table for Top Level IDN is found at the bottom of:

http://icann.org/announcements/dname...gn-17nov05.pdf

If that remains valid, then we shall have com.com and net.net in Arabic.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Old 31st December 2005, 05:07 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Actually Japan did break away from the internet by creating iMode....

Most people outside of Japan just don't realize it...
Imode is also internet, but uses a different markup language. URLs, domains all work for imode.
Old 31st December 2005, 05:29 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Here's a surviving copy of the article!
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/print?id=1322975
Old 31st December 2005, 08:05 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Here's a surviving copy of the article!
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/print?id=1322975
I think this recently published article (researched by Sarcle at posted at DNforums) by leading Chinese Newspaper should lay to rest any fears of China trying to go it alone.

http://english.people.com.cn/200512/...30_231908.html

ICANN are in the process of delivering on China's demand's. If the Verisign's Dname proposal is verified using a proposal that I have submitted and have had positive feedback from the highest levels within ICANN, then they should be able to deliver in spades. China would be able to create as many IDN.IDN registries as it wishes. I believe all China ever really wanted was for its needs to be addressed in a reasonable manner. The fact that this wasn't being done is why US control over the Internet became a major issue.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
Old 31st December 2005, 01:51 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Yes, and if anyone still doubt's that china isn't serious about this needs to take a long hard look at this.

Explorer Link.

FireFox Link.

Site's courtesy of the Chinese Government.

Feel free to add this to Dnforum.  I am getting rather tired of trying to educate the heathens!

P.S.  Dave, no matter what monietary value you sold that city for.  It was far to cheap.
Old 31st December 2005, 01:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
Yes, and if anyone still doubt's that china isn't serious about this needs to take a long hard look at this.

Explorer Link.

FireFox Link.

Feel free to add this to Dnforum. I am getting rather tired of trying to educate the heathens!

P.S. Dave, no matter what monietary value you sold that city for. It was far to cheap.
Thanks Sarcle.

You don't need to tell me. I have been at it longer than you and most of those on this Forum took some convincing!

You will, however, note that there is now quite a lot of positive comment on the DNForum and not from just the members here.

You should visit the domain wanted thread as well!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
Old 31st December 2005, 02:03 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Oh, yes. I did not mean to discount your's or anyone elses hard work to promote idn's. I know the challenges all to well. In fact you and Olney are the real reason for my plunge into this area of domains and for that I am in debt.

Maybe it's just the "New Year Blues" today. ;D
Old 31st December 2005, 02:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
Oh, yes. I did not mean to discount your's or anyone elses hard work to promote idn's. I know the challenges all to well. In fact you and Olney are the real reason for my plunge into this area of domains and for that I am in debt.

Maybe it's just the "New Year Blues" today. ;D
Yes, and you will only make things worse by making cheap points, like " the Communist Government is actually now using them in their Primary URLs" ;D

Happy New Year.
Old 31st December 2005, 02:14 PM

Touché .  ;D

Happy New Year to you and everyone as well.
Old 1st January 2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Chinese government turns "face to face" online with general public

Quote:
The website, in both Chinese and English versions, is a network connecting all provincial and city-level governments. As Wang Yukai, a professor with the State Administrative College, has observed, the new website is designed to "kick off a new age for e-government" in China.
Get Ready for more big idn sites. Consumer awareness for idn's and major reform is happening in China.

News Link