IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Domain Appraisals

IDN Domain Appraisals Appraisals by other members on International domain names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th March 2006, 09:43 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
buying the IDN .com of a company who owns ascii.com (Japanese)

Suppose someone owns flowers.com (site content is all in japanese - site does not exist in this language(using it as an example))

and they put on the bottom of the page FLOWERS.com in the japanese language....... can i still register flowers(in Japanese).com? Even though they may have a trademark most likely they just registered it in Japan and not for the Madrid convention but I guess that wouldn't make a difference as I would be getting into the Japanese market.

I have seen some situations like this above

I live in the U.S.

Last edited by IDNCowboy; 20th March 2006 at 09:47 PM..
Old 20th March 2006, 11:35 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: buying the IDN .com of a company who owns ascii.com (Japanese)

If it's a generic term, I would register it.

Matter of fact, I have a few.
Old 21st March 2006, 08:03 AM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

For the above example, definitely.
Old 21st March 2006, 08:09 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo
For the above example, definitely.
lol why would you say definitely? I looked at the trademark database and typed the japanese translation and the same english word and neither one were registered. It seemed like a case where a japanese person registered the ascii thinking it was the golden gift that he must get the japanese idn? My argument> Hey buddy you could have registered your IDN.com years ago ;-) (if he asks)

The ovt was 45k for the generic two word combo so its worth the $7.
Old 21st March 2006, 08:19 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
lol why would you say definitely? I looked at the trademark database and typed the japanese translation and the same english word and neither one were registered. It seemed like a case where a japanese person registered the ascii thinking it was the golden gift that he must get the japanese idn? My argument> Hey buddy you could have registered your IDN.com years ago ;-) (if he asks)

Jeff - can you share your link to the Japanese trademark database you refer to? Thx
Old 21st March 2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Jeff - can you share your link to the Japanese trademark database you refer to? Thx
http://www.jpo.go.jp/ Trademarks and Patents - Japanese Patent Office
You can search in Japanese and english

When you search for the TM's some show up with the english and japanese characters which is pretty cool ;P
Old 21st March 2006, 08:47 AM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I meant, I would definitely register if it was a good keyword that just happens to be used as a company name, especially since parking the name doesn't adversely affect this "flower" company.
Old 21st March 2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramiozo
I meant, I would definitely register if it was a good keyword that just happens to be used as a company name, especially since parking the name doesn't adversely affect this "flower" company.
correct but wouldn't this company for example come back and sue when they see they can't register the IDN version of their name... They will have an ascii name forever ;-)
Old 21st March 2006, 07:53 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
correct but wouldn't this company for example come back and sue when they see they can't register the IDN version of their name... They will have an ascii name forever ;-)
In the US you cannot use an generic+extension as the basis of a trademark claim, is that correct. Does anyone know if that is the same in Japan?
Old 21st March 2006, 08:08 PM
Administrator

That will be true in any language, TERM.EXT may well be trademarked, I don't know to what extent a trademark can cover derivatives, that is surely dependent on the nature of the term. I am sure that the term.com microsoft (or any derivative) is covered in any language but apple.com in chinese for example is a question mark, if I was a retailer in fruits I wouldn't doubt for a second to reg that name.