IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2008, 10:44 PM

khurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to khurtsiya
Arrow Dynadot response on IDN.IDN :)

I just sent them a question like:

Quote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm shure You know about ICANN testings of IDN.IDN domains in 11 languages (russian, japanese, chinese etc.).
>
> Will You register such domains, when testing ends?
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael
>
>
>
and here is the answer

Quote:
Hello,

Yes, we will, but it may take a while, like a few years, for the tld to be open for registrations.

Best Regards,
Dynadot Staff

--------------------------------------------------
DYNADOT... $8.99 domain names... $1/mo. web hosting
http://www.dynadot.com
Are they joking?:o
Old 18th January 2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
Re: Dynadot response on IDN.IDN :)

I don't think Dynadot has any inside knowledge of when IDN TLDs will be available. Any new TLD needs to go through the standard ICANN application process and that usually takes quite a while.

ICANN has mentioned they hope to "fast-track" IDN ccTLDs, but who knows how fast that actually is.
Old 18th January 2008, 11:07 PM

khurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to khurtsiya

Yeah, the meaning of "fast-track" is good question
Old 19th January 2008, 02:52 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Nobody knows how long it will take.

Will the current registrars try to stick something in the spokes? The IP constituency?

No telling.
Old 19th January 2008, 03:04 AM

npcomplete is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is an ascii tld so the comparison is off, but the .web tld has been trying to get into the root for 11 years. They had a market and infrastructure, but the red tape and politics has resulted in an 11 year delay. As the saying goes, "Your Mileage May Vary". Eleven years ago this was on the fast track too according to Jon Postel.

Amazing what a little politics can do wrt ICANN approval.

Maybe IDN.IDN will happen this year, and maybe it will take 11 years. I would hope it would be soon, but I would plan on lengthy delays and politics.

Marc
Old 19th January 2008, 03:07 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

So it is official that .jp and .日本 will not be aliased? News to me, when was that decided?:o
Old 19th January 2008, 03:18 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
So it is official that .jp and .日本 will not be aliased? News to me, when was that decided?:o
No one knows that's the point. Icann can't or won't confirm anything.

As far as registrars selling a new ext as posted above. They will sell anything they can make money off of. I don't think they care.
Old 19th January 2008, 03:20 AM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Where did you here that?
Old 19th January 2008, 06:24 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I don't think Dynadot has any inside knowledge of when IDN TLDs will be available. Any new TLD needs to go through the standard ICANN application process and that usually takes quite a while.

ICANN has mentioned they hope to "fast-track" IDN ccTLDs, but who knows how fast that actually is.
If all goes well the policy will be approved in June. We should have a pretty good idea what the actual policy is next week when the draft document is released.

ccTLDs that are going to be aliased could be done immediately. If they are setting up new separate registrars, then you are talking about a year from June, at the earliest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle
No one knows that's the point. Icann can't or won't confirm anything.

As far as registrars selling a new ext as posted above. They will sell anything they can make money off of. I don't think they care.
You will pretty much know next week when the draft document is released. This aspect of things is almost certain not to change between then and Juen.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 19th January 2008 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 19th January 2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

We've all heard these same things before, RD. "Won't be long now" sound familiar?

I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 19th January 2008, 03:48 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
We've all heard these same things before, RD. "Won't be long now" sound familiar?

I'll believe it when I see it.
Next week. Check the ICANN site. That is the schedule.

It is all up for discussion in Delhi from the 9th of February, so they need to have some idea what they are travelling halfway around the globe to talk about.
Old 20th January 2008, 03:30 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Fab has a point. Icann needs to answer some very easy questions. Their responses are like a politician in trouble.