IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2008, 12:28 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Talking ie7 compulsory update

Hello. I am back. What's new?

I have found very strange not seeing a thread about the ie7 compulsory update next month.

This is the end for ie6.
Old 24th January 2008, 12:31 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Re: ie7 compulsory update

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose
.. compulsory...
link?
Old 24th January 2008, 12:44 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
link?

This is only for end-users and small companies who have no pull with M$. IE7 can not and will not be forced on large corporations - they will take it if and when they damn well please.

Old 24th January 2008, 12:49 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
This is only for end-users and...
that's what we want surely?
Old 24th January 2008, 12:54 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
that's what we want surely?

It depends on the domain/portfolio. I suppose most people aren't hitting sex related domains at work, but plenty of service and product shopping are done by people while being at work. I get some of the heaviest traffic to my most lucrative domains right during the workday for the timezone in question.

Old 24th January 2008, 12:54 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
link?
It's everywhere. I've read it on my phone rss reader on many blogs.

http://it.slashdot.org/it/08/01/21/0652248.shtml
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...ming_soon.html

Last edited by jose; 24th January 2008 at 01:47 PM..
Old 24th January 2008, 02:17 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
This is only for end-users and small companies who have no pull with M$. IE7 can not and will not be forced on large corporations - they will take it if and when they damn well please.

Auto Updates will have to be disables as far as I know to prevent this happening. The Update blocking tool I believe will have expired and not prevent this happening. That seems however to be the way things work here. They get the approved updates from Head Office and things happen by the backdoor. Not all large companies work this way. A lot more people are going to get updated very soon.
Old 24th January 2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Auto Updates will have to be disables as far as I know to prevent this happening. The Update blocking tool I believe will have expired and not prevent this happening. That seems however to be the way things work here. They get the approved updates from Head Office and things happen by the backdoor. Not all large companies work this way. A lot more people are going to get updated very soon.

Big companies block access to the M$ update server at their firewall. These companies use enterprise management systems like IBM Tivoli and such to manage updates and hotfixes. If they don't put the new package into their software management system, it doesn't get installed as 99% of users don't have admin rights and can't update on their own or would be in violation of company policy if they did it at home.

I've been inside of too many big companies to know that they don't just do updates because M$ wants it, and they don't allow their users to do updates either.

What you will see updated from this "compulsory" update is home users and small businesses. Large business, government, military etc won't be affected.

Old 24th January 2008, 02:34 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Big companies block access to the M$ update server at their firewall. These companies use enterprise management systems like IBM Tivoli and such to manage updates and hotfixes. If they don't put the new package into their software management system, it doesn't get installed as 99% of users don't have admin rights and can't update on their own or would be in violation of company policy if they did it at home.

I've been inside of too many big companies to know that they don't just do updates because M$ wants it, and they don't allow their users to do updates either.

What you will see updated from this "compulsory" update is home users and small businesses. Large business, government, military etc won't be affected.

Except in as much as it strongly signals the whole software environment is moving on. We can and do now request IE7 as an approved update. It not a blanket update, but it is now supported.
Old 24th January 2008, 04:24 PM

Prodigy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It depends on the domain/portfolio. I suppose most people aren't hitting sex related domains at work, but plenty of service and product shopping are done by people while being at work. I get some of the heaviest traffic to my most lucrative domains right during the workday for the timezone in question.

I wouldnt worry about it for Asian domains, for all the clients i've serviced in Japan, Korea and Taiwan the strong majority of companies do not allow web access at the desk.
Old 24th January 2008, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Is this just for English IE7 or for all languages?
Old 24th January 2008, 05:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Is this just for English IE7 or for all languages?
Job to tell from the releases but it is coordinated with the Japanese Roll out. I think Japan is going to get both at once.

More here:

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...ofts-ie-7.html

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 24th January 2008 at 06:07 PM..
Old 24th January 2008, 06:22 PM
Veteran

if you’re an IT admin and you use WSUS to manage the rollout of updates across your network, you may wake up and find that Internet Explorer is now at version seven.

LOL

Pirated + Company networks = it will be massive.

No IT admin will want Microsoft to blame him not to have made what WSUS was telling him, on a sucessfull hack attempt.
Old 24th January 2008, 11:40 PM
Semi-retired

I've worked with enough corps to back up whats already been said.

A move to ie7 will be a strategic move made on the corps timescale.

most corps have an "image" of a pc, that is rolled out and maintained centrally - no adhoc AU's will get thru.
Old 24th January 2008, 11:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:

most corps have an "image" of a pc, that is rolled out and maintained centrally - no adhoc AU's will get thru.
Yes, I know, lol. I always drove the IT departments mad where I worked at. Was almost fired once or twice because of insisting on having my own setup, lol.
Old 24th January 2008, 11:47 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Yes, I know, lol. I always drove the IT departments mad where I worked at. Was almost fired once or twice because of insisting on having my own setup, lol.
why doesn't that surprise me.
Old 25th January 2008, 12:53 AM
Veteran

Quote:
why doesn't that surprise me.
Thanks... I guess...
Old 25th January 2008, 03:03 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thanks... I guess...

lolo
Old 25th January 2008, 05:14 AM
Veteran

Quote:

I think one of the reasons given by Microsoft originally for pulling the Auto Updates originally is that IT in Japan is not so centrally controlled. Of course picking out the truth from the lies may be difficult, but we should not assume that Japan and Britain work in exactly the same way.