IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th January 2008, 07:34 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
Microsoft Net Surges With Help From Vista

If you need somewhere safe to put your money currently invested in the finance or real-estate sector....

Microsoft Is Bullish after Bright Earnings Report

Wall Street Journal - January 25, 2008
Microsoft Net Surges With Help From Vista
Microsoft has reported record earnings and revenue for the fiscal second quarter, and CFO Chris Liddell gave a bullish forecast, saying Microsoft expects strong growth across its five major businesses in coming quarters.
Old 27th January 2008, 07:59 AM

Re: Microsoft Net Surges With Help From Vista

Bump. Just to annoy some people.
Old 27th January 2008, 08:08 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
It is not so difficult to make money when you are running a corrupt monopoly!
Old 27th January 2008, 08:23 AM

perhaps the corrupt one is not the software company but the court in brussels.
Old 27th January 2008, 08:33 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
perhaps the corrupt one is not the software company but the court in brussels.
Well, I guess most of the World's most influential market is likely to take offence at that suggestion. Microsoft is playing a dangerous game. The EU could easily eradicate non-open source software from most Government Departments, forcing much of the private sector to follow suit. There has already been a lot of serious discussion on the merits of doing this with the UK Government. Without, the European market Windows would be a busted flush.
Old 27th January 2008, 01:26 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If you want to really do that send them to this link...

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2005/12...out-microsoft/
Old 27th January 2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
If you want to really do that send them to this link...

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2005/12...out-microsoft/
That's a nice page. Not even I agree with all of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well, I guess most of the World's most influential market is likely to take offence at that suggestion. Microsoft is playing a dangerous game. The EU could easily eradicate non-open source software from most Government Departments, forcing much of the private sector to follow suit. There has already been a lot of serious discussion on the merits of doing this with the UK Government. Without, the European market Windows would be a busted flush.
i find this amusing

Last edited by rhys; 27th January 2008 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 27th January 2008, 04:07 PM
Veteran

Well if Bill keeps treating everyone on this side of the Atlantic with Contempt then you will see.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Wi...453476&sr=8-11
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wind...1453555&sr=8-6

You must think we have heads full of shit this side of the Atlantic.
You will learn!
Old 27th January 2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Well if Bill keeps treating everyone on this side of the Atlantic with Contempt then you will see.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Wi...453476&sr=8-11
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wind...1453555&sr=8-6

You must think we have heads full of shit this side of the Atlantic.
You will learn!
No, actually, I think that the EU's attitude to Microsoft would change considerably if it were a European country in origin. I also think Microsoft should have sucked up to brussels more and they wouldn't be in this spat. MS has bent over backwards to comply with the EU to little avail, a little more sucking up earlier on would probably have been more to MS's benefit IMO
Old 27th January 2008, 05:12 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
No, actually, I think that the EU's attitude to Microsoft would change considerably if it were a European country in origin. I also think Microsoft should have sucked up to brussels more and they wouldn't be in this spat. MS has bent over backwards to comply with the EU to little avail, a little more sucking up earlier on would probably have been more to MS's benefit IMO

Nothing personal, but you MS people just don't get it. That, in itself, amazes me as I know that you are educated people. Perhaps they offer a lot of free kool-aid.

Microsoft is just a software company, just like Oracle or Corel. They are not sanctioned to be the leader of the world's computing environment. They make a lot of money due to viral architecture and failure to support standards (vendor lock-in), and this is by and large not good behaviour. This is in fact piss poor behaviour, and this is what the individual states in the US as well as EU are taking issue with. Microsoft's typical response is to crush valid criticism via attempting to dig up dirt and discredit the person or organization bring the issue forth. This is also piss poor behaviour. Microsoft does not have a global license to behave however the f*ck they please.

The sooner they start losing massive chunks of business, the better. Maybe they will wake up one day before it's too late and before they have pissed away their entire bank account.

Old 27th January 2008, 05:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The EU was set up to counter the US power that the unfair trade practices that it projected. We have only started to really see the beginning of what can and will be achieved and already MS is crying like a baby. :p
Old 27th January 2008, 05:32 PM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice Rhys, it's always amusing to ruffle RD's feathers a bit anyway. Here's my take, tempered by my perspective as a former software engineer.

As a longtime linux user, I was an ardent critic of Microsoft in the nineties, when I thought their parasitic corporate behavior was a significant drag on the software industry. In recent years however, their corporate behavior has toned down considerably, due in part to loss of dominance in the industry. Now with some other browsers getting significant market share in parts of the world I feel much better about the competitive landscape. But I totally supported the US antitrust action against Microsoft that the Bush administration killed when he became president.

Yet the EU seems to have gone nuts. In the nineties they should have taken the fight to Microsoft. Why did they wait until the 00's to start extorting millions of Euros a day from them? Now they're beating up on MS a decade after the monopolistic behavior has passed. The EU is so overzealous in this case it boggles the mind. Forcing a commercial software company to reveal it's proprietary source code? That just defies belief.

And when I see some of the same pattern starting to develop in the EU wrt Google, it starts to look more like it has everything to do with just attacking successful American companies.
Old 27th January 2008, 05:44 PM
Veteran

So how does all this explain why I have to pay twice the price for Vista that you do?

Sorry, my friend but things are worse than ever, and the EU has a shed load of work to do with MS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw
Nice Rhys, it's always amusing to ruffle RD's feathers a bit anyway. Here's my take, tempered by my perspective as a former software engineer.

As a longtime linux user, I was an ardent critic of Microsoft in the nineties, when I thought their parasitic corporate behavior was a significant drag on the software industry. In recent years however, their corporate behavior has toned down considerably, due in part to loss of dominance in the industry. Now with some other browsers getting significant market share in parts of the world I feel much better about the competitive landscape. But I totally supported the US antitrust action against Microsoft that the Bush administration killed when he became president.

Yet the EU seems to have gone nuts. In the nineties they should have taken the fight to Microsoft. Why did they wait until the 00's to start extorting millions of Euros a day from them? Now they're beating up on MS a decade after the monopolistic behavior has passed. The EU is so overzealous in this case it boggles the mind. Forcing a commercial software company to reveal it's proprietary source code? That just defies belief.

And when I see some of the same pattern starting to develop in the EU wrt Google, it starts to look more like it has everything to do with just attacking successful American companies.
Old 27th January 2008, 05:46 PM

Stop being such a crybaby Dave - use linux.
Old 27th January 2008, 05:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw
Stop being such a crybaby Dave - use linux.
So that is how you promote your products to us is it?

Truth is the last time I bought an Operating System was 2002 when XP first came out, I upgraded. Obviously, I am not now going to put new operating systems on old computers when what I have works perfectly well, but if Bill is looking to me for a revenue stream he is whistling in the wind. I would even buy game for my son's old X Box. Given the choice of pay £20 for a Microsoft game or going out and buying a PS3 for him, then I would go the latter route, only don't tell him that!

I will buy a new Rig when I get to Czech Republic. I guess I will be more or less retired when that happens so I will have plenty time to f*ck about with Linux, unless I decide to get a Mac instead.
Old 27th January 2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
So how does all this explain why I have to pay twice the price for Vista that you do?
You don't. As MDW said, go somewhere else for your software. Free market economy at it's best.

The fact that you'd rather complain then do something about it says quite a bit.
Old 27th January 2008, 06:01 PM

Doesn't sound like you're too locked in by that monopoly does it?
Old 27th January 2008, 06:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
You don't. As MDW said, go somewhere else for your software. Free market economy at it's best.

The fact that you'd rather complain then do something about it says quite a bit.
As I said, when I need to do something about it I will, but in the mean time I don't have to put up with Rhys back-biting our democratically appointed leaders for kicking his scumbag company into line.
Old 27th January 2008, 06:04 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
As I said, when I need to do something about it I will, but in the mean time I don't have to put up with Rhys back-biting our democratically appointed leaders for kicking his scumbag company into line.
But we need to put up with you?

Nice!
Old 27th January 2008, 06:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw
Doesn't sound like you're too locked in by that monopoly does it?
It is not quite so straightforward at the business level, but trust me I am not the only one who is pissed. Our IT Manager coincidentally sits opposite me at work so I get all the vibes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
But we need to put up with you?

Nice!
I didn't come on here to crow about how my company is making billions of dollars by running an International price fixing scam. :p

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 27th January 2008 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost