IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
Re: Are there native end users protesting against IDNs?

Anyone looking to dump those practically worthless Finnish (or other small country) IDNs, please PM me.

Will pay reasonable price - regfee to 4x regfee - seeing as how troubled a future they have.
Old 27th January 2008, 03:12 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Don't forget all your stats will be years out of date, and that it not where we have come from but where we are going that is important.

How many cellphones did the Chinese have even 5 years ago? Latest figure is 500 Million.
Old 27th January 2008, 03:31 PM

davnin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Don't forget all your stats will be years out of date, and that it not where we have come from but where we are going that is important.

How many cellphones did the Chinese have even 5 years ago? Latest figure is 500 Million.
I agree. Trends are very important and also GDPs.
Old 27th January 2008, 04:04 PM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Dumb people are everywhere, not just in Japan.

People that understand domain names but don't see the usefulness of IDNs are dumb people. Period.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 27th January 2008, 05:02 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
Dumb people are everywhere, not just in Japan.

People that understand domain names but don't see the usefulness of IDNs are dumb people. Period.

One of the main value propositions IMO is that IDN URLs in SERPs are subconsciously powerful, perhaps even irresistible to some. I truly believe that this preference is rooted below the conscious mind.

There are people who understand domain names but will publicly try to undermine the usefulness of IDNs in accordance with their individual agendas.

Old 27th January 2008, 05:20 PM

Steve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enough

As stated previously...the only people who know about IDNS are domainers, and web developers, who didn't have the presence of mind to jump in and buy them when they could have purchased very nice generic names for reg fee.
Now their crying in their soup, because they will likely start to see less growth, and maybe even a decrease in the traffic and revenue, of the portfolios they have...this includes some of the top dogs, in the industry.
I have a small French city IDN, that gets a few uniques/mth that showed up on Google today...looks like I could get 200-300 uniques today, on a parked page.
If developed, that should be a regular occurrence..... I LIKE IDNS!
As far as the general public goes ( THE ENGINE THAT DRIVES THE INDUSTRY ), most don't even know IDNS exist.
Asking some acquaintances that I know, always gets the IDNS...What are they? response.
When THEY start to realize that they can actually use their very own languages,
you will see explosive growth in IDN utilization IMHO.
Old 27th January 2008, 06:55 PM

khurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to khurtsiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
One of the main value propositions IMO is that IDN URLs in SERPs are subconsciously powerful, perhaps even irresistible to some.
Very right thought!
Old 27th January 2008, 09:26 PM

websjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One of the main value propositions IMO is that IDN URLs in SERPs are subconsciously powerful, perhaps even irresistible to some. I truly believe that this preference is rooted below the conscious mind.

There are people who understand domain names but will publicly try to undermine the usefulness of IDNs in accordance with their individual agendas.

im getting hits from exact match domains through top ten placement in google WITHOUT ANY MARKETING - can you believe google will rank a parked domain on the basis of keyword match and then give me money from the clicks on the parking page

awesome
Old 27th January 2008, 09:47 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by websjapan
im getting hits from exact match domains through top ten placement in google WITHOUT ANY MARKETING - can you believe google will rank a parked domain on the basis of keyword match and then give me money from the clicks on the parking page

awesome

Enjoy the ride, it won't last.

Old 27th January 2008, 10:09 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Enjoy the ride, it won't last.

Exactly, which is why type-in traffic needs to hurry up.
Old 27th January 2008, 11:25 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by websjapan
im getting hits from exact match domains through top ten placement in google WITHOUT ANY MARKETING - can you believe google will rank a parked domain on the basis of keyword match and then give me money from the clicks on the parking page...awesome
Yup, the infamous google "sandbox" will take care of that and dump your ranking.
Old 28th January 2008, 02:13 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by davnin
I agree. Trends are very important and also GDPs.

GDPs is important, but i would rank it as only the 4th or 5th most important factor.

My first three factors.

1st: ASCII resale market and trend.
2nd: PPC earnings and trend.
3rd: Size of e-commerce industry and trend.
Old 28th January 2008, 05:05 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
GDPs is important, but i would rank it as only the 4th or 5th most important factor.

My first three factors.

1st: ASCII resale market and trend.
2nd: PPC earnings and trend.
3rd: Size of e-commerce industry and trend.
Well I would rank it higher than all three of those.

1. Japan is a bust, as are all the other non-Latin markets, except China.
2. Chinese is bust along with Arabic, Russian and Hindi.
3. Chinese, Arabic and Hindi are complete bust.

What is the point of your model if it gives all the wrong answers?
Old 28th January 2008, 05:24 AM

websjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Yup, the infamous google "sandbox" will take care of that and dump your ranking.
well- four months of top ten says the sandbox can make exceptions - now at number 2 for one site clicks are going up hooray - this will be my next site for development

exact domain match is a very powerful part of a websites success.

Last edited by websjapan; 28th January 2008 at 08:14 AM..
Old 28th January 2008, 05:25 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:
Well I would rank it higher than all three of those.

1. Japan is a bust, as are all the other non-Latin markets, except China.
2. Chinese is bust along with Arabic, Russian and Hindi.
3. Chinese, Arabic and Hindi are complete bust.

What is the point of your model if it gives all the wrong answers?
"...and trends" is the qualifier that answers these questions.
Old 28th January 2008, 05:36 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
I don't see that kind of data.

If I have got anywhere is through market fundamentals and blind faith.

1. Resale will ultimately reflect the value of earnings, until then it is all down to speculator faith, which is often wide of the mark.

2. PPC earnings will depend on Google penetration and competition. That will definitely change unpredictably. At the end of the day on a sale is going to have more or less the same value any where, that is the nature of a global market.

3. The UK sold more online last year than the whole of the US. Does that fact even get recognised. No, the top dogs won't even breath its name. Will that situation endure, of course not because, however, bad the coming recession is the US is still going to have a higher gross GDP than the UK. It ain't even GDP that counts ultimately, it is population.
Old 28th January 2008, 06:01 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni

Yes, trend, as in annual growth rate.

Quote:
1. Resale will ultimately reflect the value of earnings, until then it is all down to speculator faith, which is often wide of the mark.

You mean IDNF speculators?

If the market for a language cannot grow out of IDNF, it will shrink in a matter of time.

Last edited by touchring; 28th January 2008 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 28th January 2008, 06:38 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

[QUOTE=Rubber Duck]

Quote:
Not always the case. Projected growth and demand plays a big part in the final pricing.

Quote:
2. PPC earnings will depend on Google penetration and competition. That will definitely change unpredictably. At the end of the day on a sale is going to have more or less the same value any where, that is the nature of a global market.
Google is not the only game in town. Lotsa local ppc providers are in place or are popping up steadily. Earnings will increase as the regional advertiser pool increases.

Quote:
3. The UK sold more online last year than the whole of the US. Does that fact even get recognised. No, the top dogs won't even breath its name. Will that situation endure, of course not because, however, bad the coming recession is the US is still going to have a higher gross GDP than the UK. It ain't even GDP that counts ultimately, it is population.
In terms of ppc, UK ads pay way more than their US counterparts, for years. At times, more than double for the same keyword.

Don't think it has to do strictly with population. It mainly has to do with local market dynamics, broken down sector by sector.
For example, if I want a website designed in Greece, I expect to pay around 700 Euro. I can get the same site done for about 50 bucks in the States.
If I were a design co. in GR, I could afford to pay up to 14 times more on advertising to achieve the same income level as my US counterpart.
Sure, the customer base is way smaller in GR, but the balance is reflected in the pricing for services.
Old 28th January 2008, 12:28 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are there native end users protesting against IDNs? Just check out my signiture. :-)
Old 28th January 2008, 12:39 PM
Veteran

By ultimately, I mean when projections are no longer useful.

Google won't always be the only game in town, but for now the others make little or no difference and our earnings are deeply affected by Googles penetration of the markets in question.

As for the US, it is supply and demand. Online spending power is lower than UK compared with GDP, but supply of adverts through the development of junk websites beggars belief.

[QUOTE=yanni]
Quote:

Not always the case. Projected growth and demand plays a big part in the final pricing.

Google is not the only game in town. Lotsa local ppc providers are in place or are popping up steadily. Earnings will increase as the regional advertiser pool increases.

In terms of ppc, UK ads pay way more than their US counterparts, for years. At times, more than double for the same keyword.

Don't think it has to do strictly with population. It mainly has to do with local market dynamics, broken down sector by sector.
For example, if I want a website designed in Greece, I expect to pay around 700 Euro. I can get the same site done for about 50 bucks in the States.
If I were a design co. in GR, I could afford to pay up to 14 times more on advertising to achieve the same income level as my US counterpart.
Sure, the customer base is way smaller in GR, but the balance is reflected in the pricing for services.