IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2008, 10:05 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Post FORTUNE: Are domain names recession-proof?

Does that mean we should all run out and buy domain names and pack ‘em with ads? Not so fast. Kevin Heisler, the executive editor of Search Engine Watch, has studied the domain world and concludes that when you look at the millions of domain names out there trying to make money from pay-per-click ads, the return on investment from straightforward paid search is better. The top tier domain names are the exception, he says, not the rule. And that explains why some domain names easily fetch six and seven figure sums, even in a down market.

Here: http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.co...cession-proof/
Old 28th January 2008, 10:44 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: FORTUNE: Are domain names recession-proof?

Domains are more scared of Google than recession. If Google stops supplying ads to domains...
Old 28th January 2008, 11:12 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
If Google stops supplying ads to domains...
In this scenerio Google would be the one to take the BIGGEST loss so don't count on that happening.
Old 28th January 2008, 11:26 AM

davnin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
In this scenerio Google would be the one to take the BIGGEST loss so don't count on that happening.
i don't know... maybe not.
For domainers it's very easy to build a little webpage with a small text and to insert Adsense ADV.
We can buy a reseller hosting plan and build "infinite" websites for a few bucks each year.

In this scenario surely the parking companies will have the biggest loss.
Old 28th January 2008, 05:43 PM

npcomplete is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
I totally agree with this. I monetize almost exclusively through Fabulous on my parked ascii domains (with some at DomainSponsor). This pays for all my reg fees for a large portolio plus a good profit. Fabulous depends on google feeds, so it is no surprise that a lot of my domains show up on the front page of google for keyword searches producing excellent traffic. It has been that way for a long time. Google didn't get big by being stupid. Fabulous and Google are in business and cooperate heavily with each other as business partners. By giving sites with high paying ppc preferred placement, then I make money, Fabulous makes money, Google makes money, and my advertisers make money. OTOH, it is almost impossible to get good positioning with DomainSponsor since they are apparently not playing the game. You might get good placement at DS for a few months until Google discovers that your domain is no longer parked with Fabulous - then your positioning takes a nosedive.

Why would a company like google cut out a major source of revenue? It is all just business. Sure it would be easy to develop adsense sites if needed (I already do several), but I am not remotely worried about losing the google feed for my parked pages.

Marc