IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th January 2008, 06:20 AM

zorglub is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to zorglub Send a message via Yahoo to zorglub Send a message via Skype™ to zorglub
not many .coms

We see a lot of .nets .biz .ws but not many good and affordable .coms on this forum these days. They are often or weak, or super powerfull and unreachable for my funds and the other beginners.

When you are talking about second market are you talking about this forum only ? Or elsewhere ? Snap ? Snap drops ou snap auctions ?

I used to watch the drops on IDNwhois.org and I got my best IDN there. I have even developped my own script to analyze Pool's deleting list. But nowadays there just seem to be nothing good dropping. I wounder if the lists were maybe filtered before... paranoïa mode on !
Old 29th January 2008, 06:45 AM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: not many .coms

You have to be a little more pro-active to find good .com deals these days.

Those with good names are sitting on them. They will not come to you.
Old 29th January 2008, 06:49 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Im afraid 'good' to 'top level' .coms are not for sale .. at least not for low amounts of money .. many are locking them down and it would be hard to persuade them to part with them.
Old 29th January 2008, 07:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to zorglub Send a message via Yahoo to zorglub Send a message via Skype™ to zorglub

Hey I'd do the same, this is normal. Basically I'm happy for you and even though I'd like to success a lot, I'm also enjoying the trip. But there just seem to be something in the air, I see a lot of people cleaning their portfolios, like there was something up to... Anyway you do what you have to do guys...

At my level there was Rolf's thread the other day and you wrote "Watch the secondary market and 'shoot' when you feel confident". Maybe I lack of information but where exactly is this second market ? Drops ? There's nothing good or quasi since days now (or I don't analyse well). And to go on auctions you first need to identify the name and bid on Snapnames. Maybe I'm missing this, but at the same time I doubt that many of you are still making deals on the aftermarket today...
Old 29th January 2008, 07:27 AM

websjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished road

seems to me here at least that speculator activity has ceased at the moment - when i joined a few months ago there were always sales going on...

perhaps everyone is waiting for the ie7 push to see how that will effect their domains type in and therefore resale value...
Old 29th January 2008, 07:29 AM

Or maybe cleaning to focus on development, a lot of us are on simplygeo.net regulary now although I'm just a tourist Geodev is the next logical step for an IDNer !
Old 29th January 2008, 07:29 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

The secondary market still has and may continue for a while to have good bargains though I don't expect this to last forever .. Research is critical though and if not sure about the language or translation ask the seller in the thread .. use google, yahoo, trends, google images, yahoo images with "double quotes" around the word / term ..

Find yourself a good set of 'tools' .. online translators etc (PM on the way)
Most of all listen to what is being said on the forums .. not all of it .. use your discretion .. rely on luck a little bit .. learn the markets you are targeting, read up on those countries, learn about the GDP, internet penetration, disposable income, economy blah blah blah

You will find that the long term members here are now reasonably well aquainted with the countries they are invested in even though they may not necessarily speak the language or have never visited them .. How did they do that? Research .. And then some more research .. and just when you think you know enough .. triple your workload .. then you may get some idea of whats going on.

Read all the threads both here and at dnlocal.com .. specially the stuff from the early days.

You will see people dropping or selling domains for a wide varity of reasons .. lack of money / renewal time is coming / losing interest / lack of faith etc etc that doesnt mean those domains are shit or not worth picking up ..

Use all the tools at your disposal
Old 29th January 2008, 07:53 AM

Thanks... really ! It gives me hope. Especially the part with people getting fed up and not renewing C'mon man, you were talking for yourself, we can fix this (PM sent) <= no just kidding !

I'm learning a lot and since I've came to IDNF things have begun to change, I actually begin to integrate it's all about beeing precise. I've regged many domains and catched some drops, I used quite a bit of money but I feel as an investment to educate myself. Maybe I'll be lucky with one of my TV names and have a good offer. It would be very cool... very cool but now I've understood that it's not the way things go, you must not draw your plans on other people generousity or lack of knowledge, your must have your road, know what you put and what you get.
Quote:
The names don't go for the people, the people go after the names
, so true.

OK stop now I always have to elaborate
Old 29th January 2008, 07:57 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorglub
We see a lot of .nets .biz .ws but not many good and affordable .coms on this forum these days. They are often or weak, or super powerfull and unreachable for my funds and the other beginners.
As soon as you realise 2 things, this gets a whole lot easier:

1. IDNForums is NOT the centre of the IDN universe. Most of the very best names are not held by active members here

2. IDN's are domains , so the same acquisition strategy that has been in use for years for English domains also applies

for example, a well worded email to an owner you find in the whois can often pay dividends
Old 29th January 2008, 07:59 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Thanks... really ! It gives me hope. Especially the part with people getting fed up and not renewing C'mon man, you were talking for yourself, we can fix this (PM sent) <= no just kidding !

Wanna buy some French Geos? :-) Oh, wait, you're not legally allowed to own them, are you?

I might put up some sort of auction today, keep your eyes peeled.

Old 29th January 2008, 08:00 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

The secondary market is not dead. It just all going on behind the scenes.

The open market on this forum is a waste of time as far as sellers are concerned, so they just don't bother to stock the shelves anymore. It is just not good marketing strategy to place domains here to have a lot of stupid bids placed on them.

Domain owners can see the finish line. Auto Updates for Japan is here is about a fortnight. Most can hold out that long at least!
Old 29th January 2008, 08:07 AM

I'm sure legally allowed to own french Geo's, is it a joke ? I can own and reg .fr too. The only thing is FrenchCities.fr are for the city official website, and there's also some law about the Régions but I can't find the link anymore, I have to update my info on this.

I'm ready, when do you drop Paris.com, tonight or tomorrow ?
Old 29th January 2008, 08:13 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm sure legally allowed to own french Geo's, is it a joke ? I can own and reg .fr too. The only thing is FrenchCities.fr are for the city official website, and there's also some law about the Régions but I can't find the link anymore, I have to update my info on this.

No, it's not a joke. I remember a couple of our French members stating that French citizens are not allowed to own French Geo domains.

I own several of the French Department IDNs in dot com and one in dot net, but no cities.

Old 29th January 2008, 08:17 AM

Alphamale : you're right and I'm trying to "go out". I still think there are huge portfolios here ! And for the second point, I agree too, however I did just a little bit of domaining with ASCII. So I combine the too difficulties at the same time.

Anyway guys you're all really nice and I get smarter in this environment. I have my own road to do, the road you did years ago. But if I see you ahead in the success it will only motivate me even more !

RD : second market for domainers ? I'm thinking end-users, maybe for a couple of selected domains and to raise funds to develop your projects.

jacksonm : Welcome to France ! Information is confusing. For sure I can't own the .fr of a french city or a french region. Because it's .fr is controlled and it's normal. But for the .com they have nothing to say !!! For sure I can own it - maybe have to have a compagny for that -.

If no, what is Strasbourg.com ? On the FAQ :
Quote:
(blabla agency name) company governed by French law, with capital of blabla Euros, having its registered office at blabla PARIS , France
Maybe there have been some precedents about the collectivities and .com, I have to find the info again, but it must be because of a trademark registred by the collectivity, which is possible. The city of Paris has a trademark too that is applicable and has been applicated in some cases, and in other cases no.

Every case is specific, but people in my country tend to mix everything. I'm not talking about the french ex-IDNFers, I'm talking about jealous people that have accepted lots of things to gain just a little slice of power and that tend to act as "intouchables" and get their revenge on life preventing others to succeed. Even if they are saying things that go against the basic right of propriety and threaten with exotic interpretations of laws.

The Castello brothers et al. know this very well and fought many battles against the US cities. I'm aware of this and I'm sure I'll encounter this problem. Whenever I get a decent city.com (I have a half-decent) I should consider joining the Associated Cities if they are open to foreigners and if I meet their standards.

A very few rare french cities own their .com and all the others are owned by compagnies that use the type-in traffic, so yes it is a sign the war is sleeping. But I'm just not gonna show up like a sheep I intend to be prepared. Now just to finish with this look at the waste of Rennes.com. A city of 200K citizens, an urban area of 600K citizens. And this guy just sits on this gem with his nano patch business which seems more than strange to me, if not pyramidal. He thinks he's smart and attracts visitors but it's just the type-in he's living of and wasting. I tried to buy him the domain but I was too cheap. Hey I'm not rich. But what a lame guy !!!

Personnally I won't ever accept the hypocrisy in which we accept such things because it's just cool for the official web site to be alone on the web. I will fight for my right to publish a city.com, as others do in France, and just as there are local radios, TVs, newspapers.

Ouch ! Sorry for this long text once again, but I'm getting on my big horses as I can't stand the stupidity my country is in half of the time, because it's truely such a nice country with nice people and this deserves way more...

Last edited by zorglub; 29th January 2008 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 29th January 2008, 09:27 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Close enough?

Parée.com
Old 29th January 2008, 09:37 AM

Nearly 8) !

Update about the cities : all the rules are only for .fr. Then there are always the TM issues. But they can apply in both ways : if a society has had a TM since 1985 they can own their TM.fr (fortunately) even if it's the same as city.fr (case of evian.fr, a mineral water society).

Recently a city tried to get back the .tv because it was the political opposition that had it. But it didn't work.
Old 29th January 2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Recently a city tried to get back the .tv because it was the political opposition that had it. But it didn't work.

LOL! I could try to sell jammu.net and it's hindi + urdu IDNs to the Pakistani government.

Old 29th January 2008, 10:35 AM

domain_trader is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm giving away some quality IDN.coms at the moment to promote my new site. Pointless selling them, because I wouldn't get the price they deserve anyway.
Old 29th January 2008, 11:07 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Zorglub,

Frankly, I am not even interested in the end user market. By the time that develops, I will only be selling if they drive me crackers by offering insane amounts of money.
Old 29th January 2008, 11:48 AM

DomainDialect is an unknown quantity at this point

The joy is in the hunt...