IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:13 AM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point
Are registrars selling or registering the most search keywords queries?

Im pissed off today, because i dont know if it was pure bad luck but i was rechecking availability of about 100 japanese keywords i checked last week for the first time on X registrar many people use and now about 75% of them are taken, how come? i mean it is not one or 10 taken but about 75 of 100 domains i checked last week with them. i feel perhaps fraud registrars keep the information of the domains people are searching the most and they pass or sell these lists to people to register them but cmon this is too much 75% of them taken in only one week I think this registar must learn japanese or stop checking on what people are looking for availability F%%%!!!

What u guys think? bad luck? it smells bad to me.... Im not gonna say the full name of the registar to avoid problems but their site is "domai...... .com" on it, so that can give u an idea im not taking about idotz enom dynadot etc. I hope it is just "bad" luck.
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:17 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Are registrars selling or registering the most search keywords queries?

Check the whois info next time
You'll find that is was probably either me, Edwin, Sarcle, or any of the other guys in here who target Japanese terms.
I mean I wake up at 7:30 in the morning & Edwin's already online.
I know what he's doing...
I take breaks...
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:24 AM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

the whois doenst give me anything more than the registrar, i guess privacy or just taken?? But yeah, im feeling im gonna start selling my blood to get the money to buy the best domains i see available. I know im not the only one searching but 75% of that 100 list in one week is too much because they are domains in different areas, so it is not that X guy went to a directory or website category to pick them up.

Well bad luck then...
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:32 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Could have been me, indeed. I've registered around 450 names in the last week.
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:43 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Japanese idn is getting very tough, i've stopped searching for japanese names since January, it takes too much time to find a good name. :-(
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:36 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo
the whois doenst give me anything more than the registrar, i guess privacy or just taken?? But yeah, im feeling im gonna start selling my blood to get the money to buy the best domains i see available. I know im not the only one searching but 75% of that 100 list in one week is too much because they are domains in different areas, so it is not that X guy went to a directory or website category to pick them up.

Well bad luck then...
Try using the Domainsite.com Whois. If it registered there you can often only see it there!

Japanese? Forget it! Too much competition. Obviously told too many people about IDNs!
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:43 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Yep, I left Japan a couple of weeks ago too...

I thought I'd let Edwin get on in peace with his vacuuming...
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:44 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo

What u guys think? bad luck? it smells bad to me.... Im not gonna say the full name of the registar to avoid problems but their site is "domai...... .com" on it, so that can give u an idea im not taking about idotz enom dynadot etc. I hope it is just "bad" luck.
No, you are on the wrong track there, I am afraid. These guys are way too honest to do that kind of thing, but also knowing them as I do they haven't got a clue about what is actually being registered!
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:56 AM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

I used to think the same in the past

but sorry , it is just a bad luck

next time you need to act fast...
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:58 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
Yep, I left Japan a couple of weeks ago too...

I thought I'd let Edwin get on in peace with his vacuuming...
Course Edwins right really, if domain potential and revenue are reached first in Japan, he will end up with sufficient resources to surge through the other markets in turn taking everything in his wake. That's if he can still be bothered. Some of the other countries are so much economically less significant he would not even bother with the names, just buy the entire joint instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
I used to think the same in the past

but sorry , it is just a bad luck

next time you need to act fast...
Yep, if looks like a good idea, get it regged. Make a few mistakes, you won't make any money unless your prepared to!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 22nd March 2006 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 22nd March 2006, 12:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
No, you are on the wrong track there, I am afraid. These guys are way too honest to do that kind of thing, but also knowing them as I do they haven't got a clue about what is actually being registered!

Definitely not them, but i suspect Register.com to be keeping those early names, somehow no one seems to own them if you check whois, but at the end of each year, they get renewed automatically.
Old 22nd March 2006, 12:33 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'd still like to see you go through at least 10 to 15 without finding it had been registered by one of us.
I don't use lists & target markets I feel like targetting.

Especially the ones you thought were the best.
Old 22nd March 2006, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

I chuckle everytime I check WHOIS on a good name and find it regged by someone from here :^)

WHOIS is a multi-level system. It doesn't update in real time.

I'm not talking doing WHOIS queries using a web browser, I'm talking PROPER WHOIS queries using WHOIS servers.

An example for .com

The master WHOIS server is whois.verisign.com

You query that server for a name and it returns a minimum amount of information, including who they THINK is the authorative WHOIS server for that name (the supposed current Registrar's WHOIS server). You then query THAT WHOIS server for full info.

The master WHOIS server is not updated in realtime. Although it's updated more often than it used to be, most Registrars only push updates to it once a day, ven though they should do it more frequently.

Feel free to query a registrar's WHOIS server directly. Most post a "not found" if the domain isn't registered with them (some of them even do when it is, grrrrr). Some, opensrs for instance, do a recursive lookup at Verisign if it's not a local domain, which is a PITA. I wish they wouldn't do that.

As for the domains you were looking at, with the rapidly expanding IDN market place, searching on domains and not registering them immediately is a bad idea - as you have discovered. Get 'em while they're still available.

After 24 hours has lapsed do WHOIS on the ones that got away. That should give you enough info to see if your "registrar is grabbing them for themselves" theory is correct.

Pool and eNom grab THOUSANDS of crap dropping names every day to auction off in the hope of getting extra cash. Anythign is possible in this market.
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:08 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
You query that server for a name and it returns a minimum amount of information, including who they THINK is the authorative WHOIS server for that name (the supposed current Registrar's WHOIS server). You then query THAT WHOIS server for full info.
Ahhhhhh! I was wondering why their was so little information for many Whois queries using Netsol. I guess I'll be using the DS Whois much more often.
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:15 PM
Veteran

Yes, DS now supports idn direct query, so you can save a lot of time. But the only irritating thing is the 10 seconds wait before next query.
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:17 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Yes, DS now supports idn direct query, so you can save a lot of time. But the only irritating thing is the 10 seconds wait before next query.
Thanks -- another timesaver.

Is DS eating others' lunch or what?
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:17 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Drewbert - What surprises me is how you seem to get Whois information on recent drops when all I get is 'domain not found'. You must have a special source.
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Well, I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you immediately afterwards, so you're probably better off not knowing. :^)
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:18 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

I figured it was something like that.
Old 23rd March 2006, 02:40 AM

IDN.TV is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to IDN.TV Send a message via Yahoo to IDN.TV Send a message via Skype™ to IDN.TV

I was registering couple of IDNs from them I was able to register 22 domain names on the 19th March 2006, but one of it failed registration "科学.net" it was available, when clicked I buy it, in couple of minutes it said registration failed. I saw the whois date and it showed a few days back. How come that is possible a name that was available that minute was later shown registsered a few days back. I put this thing up here coz, I think we are talking about the same registar, I mailed them, I did get a reply but not dat helpful.

Hey I just checked domainstateand it says the same name is available Weird...

Last edited by IDN.TV; 23rd March 2006 at 02:46 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost