IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 域名

域名 Discussion for Chinese IDN domain names. Chinese domains include .cn, .com, & .net.
This section is for discussion only Please do NOT post Chinese domains for sale here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:24 AM
Beamerboy's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New York, Paris & Peckham
Posts: 29
iTrader: (2)
Rep Power: 495
Beamerboy is an unknown quantity at this point
What is the bast search engine?

is baidu the best search engine to check for the number of hits returned for simple chinese, or is google.cn more appropriate?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:47 AM
touchring's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,547
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1257
touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What is the bast search engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamerboy
is baidu the best search engine to check for the number of hits returned for simple chinese, or is google.cn more appropriate?
Try not to rely on the 'number of hits returned'.

Chinese is a language without spacing, so all words/characters join together, if you base on number of hits, you are likely to get an unreliable/hugely inflated figure since similar words share the same characters.

Instead, use US OVT/TW OVT or count the number of Google ads.

Last edited by touchring; 22nd March 2006 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:34 AM
Semi-retired
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,531
iTrader: (57)
Rep Power: 3439
alpha has disabled reputation
Re: What is the bast search engine?

I am totally confused by all this.

I recently bought a simple chinese name on this forum
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1309...light=portable

and it was quoted as having so many google and yahoo hits.

Not all generic words are going to have an overture or ads, so how does one portray it's popularity then?

someone please give me a simple (excuse the pun) definitive answer..
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2006, 10:51 AM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4508
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: What is the bast search engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
I am totally confused by all this.

I recently bought a simple chinese name on this forum
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1309...light=portable

and it was quoted as having so many google and yahoo hits.

Not all generic words are going to have an overture or ads, so how does one portray it's popularity then?

someone please give me a simple (excuse the pun) definitive answer..
This term obviously works in Simplified and gives 4 Adwords at Google.cn

If you want your money back I am sure Bram would willing refund you (must have hurt to see it go at that price!). I'll give you 30 Bucks for it anytime!
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:12 AM
Semi-retired
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,531
iTrader: (57)
Rep Power: 3439
alpha has disabled reputation
Re: What is the bast search engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
This term obviously works in Simplified and gives 4 Adwords at Google.cn

If you want your money back I am sure Bram would willing refund you (must have hurt to see it go at that price!). I'll give you 30 Bucks for it anytime!
lol

I'm not complaining , i'm just looking for an answer as to what is a reliable measure of popularity for a generic term that doesn't have any ads or bids.

Clearly this one does, but my point was it was measured using search engine hits - yet in a reply above, search engine hits for simple chinese were stated as being unreliable.

Maybe the answer is that there isn't an answer.

.. and one final thought, if the chinese don't use any breaks between letters or words, how the heck can they search for anything in a search engine, and expect any meaningful results ..?

Last edited by alpha; 22nd March 2006 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2006, 11:19 AM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4508
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: What is the bast search engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
lol

I'm not complaining , i'm just looking for an answer as to what is a reliable measure of popularity for a generic term that doesn't have any ads or bids.

Clearly this one does, but my point was it was measured using search engine hits - yet in a reply above, search engine hits for simple chinese were stated as being unreliable.

Maybe the answer is that there isn't an answer.

.. and one final thought, if the chinese don't use any breaks between letters or words, how the heck can they search for anything in a search engine, and expect any meaningful results ..?
No there are no definitive answers for IDN at the moment. Until IE 7.0 is rolled out nobody knows exactly how much they are worth. The situation in China is both critical and confusing. This going to be the most valuable market and at present we have very poor information from here. The only language that is more baffling than Simplified Chinese is Hindi. That too is going to be a huge market and still we rely on unreliable Google Scores. My domains with most traffic get virtually no Google. All we can do it make intelligent guess and cling on until the fog clears.

I have had experience of this in other languages, so I am confident that when the dust settles it will glisten a rich yellow colour!
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54