IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2008, 02:12 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Post You Got Lucky. Now What?

Borrowing this title from one of Sahars latest Blogs , how do you guys as IDN'ers view whats next for you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahar
After discussing the issue with few close friends my conclusion is the domain business is more like free money falling from the sky, an opportunity of a lifetime which may never come back again in your lifetime.
http://www.conceptualist.com/2008/01...ucky-now-what/
Old 1st February 2008, 02:52 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: You Got Lucky. Now What?

I don't think we are anywhere near where Sahar, Rick, the other ASCII big boys has reached. Firstly, these guys are earning at least 6 or 7 figures or more in PPC (ok, so does away with the day job).

Yes, it's free money for them, and they have been lucky, no doubt.
Old 1st February 2008, 02:53 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I don't think we are anywhere near where Sahar, Rick, the other ASCII big boys has reached. Firstly, these guys are earning at least 6 or 7 figures or more in PPC (ok, so does away with the day job).

Here's to hoping we get lucky: ::cheers::

I argee with touch... nowhere near, but hopefully we get there.
Old 1st February 2008, 02:56 AM
Veteran

I don't think we are anywhere near where Sahar, Rick, the other ASCII big boys has reached. Firstly, these guys are earning at least 6 (after regfees) or 7 figures or more in PPC (ok, so does away with the day job).

Old 1st February 2008, 03:02 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats like comparing 1995 to 2008

Ofcourse we see the fruits of their labor , but ours are just beginning.
Old 1st February 2008, 03:13 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
Rick Schwartz
Jan 30th, 2008 at 7:26 am

The enemy we face is not the economy it is the predators that want our valuable assets. That is a long term threat. A much more serious threat.
I wonder if he treats IDN as "the enemy"?
Old 1st February 2008, 04:01 AM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point

No, he's talking about frivilous UDRP's and other threats to domain property rights, mainly coming from large corporations who missed the boat.
Old 1st February 2008, 04:25 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmarketing
No, he's talking about frivilous UDRP's and other threats to domain property rights, mainly coming from large corporations who missed the boat.

I see, i thought dot com was ok?
Old 1st February 2008, 04:46 AM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point

Not always:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_domain_hijacking
Old 1st February 2008, 05:08 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmarketing

I know. If my domains are earning as much ppc as RS or FS, i'll be creating shelf companies and trademarks for my names. Not an issue that cannot be overcome actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200
Here's to hoping we get lucky: ::cheers::

I argee with touch... nowhere near, but hopefully we get there.

Thinking further, luck is only one aspect.

RS did it mostly on luck, he got on early and found out about adult names which were already earning good money in early days. It's a no brainer to buy an adult name for $10,000 if it can earn $1-2k a month on adult affiliate!! RS basically struck lottery. Buy and make immediately.

As for FS, skills, hardwork, foresight, guts, and timing plays a more important role.

IDN game at this point is no longer about lucky (yes, some luck is still involved), but it's about shrewdness, about timing ....

Last edited by touchring; 1st February 2008 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 1st February 2008, 05:42 AM

Alot of us here are lucky in the fact that we found out about IDN's when 99.9999% of the world has no clue what they are to date. ( i wonder if 1% of the world actually even knows what a domain is )

But my definition of luck is when preparation meets opportunity !
Old 1st February 2008, 08:13 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
Alot of us here are lucky in the fact that we found out about IDN's when 99.9999% of the world has no clue what they are to date. ( i wonder if 1% of the world actually even knows what a domain is )

But my definition of luck is when preparation meets opportunity !

Not just 99.9999% of the world, but even 99% of domainers got no clue.
Old 1st February 2008, 08:50 AM

khurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to khurtsiya

I think all, who got IDN portfolio is lucky. Even those who just started to make it can be lucky.

But I am wondering one thing. When IDNs become popular and each will now that he/she can register it - people will be shocked that practically all are registered! What will registartors suggest to reg?
Old 1st February 2008, 09:01 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajiotaj
But I am wondering one thing. When IDNs become popular and each will now that he/she can register it - people will be shocked that practically all are registered! What will registartors suggest to reg?
This is precisely the reason why ICANN is refusing to mention dot COM aliasing now, IMO. Foreign constituencies will not support dot COM aliasing when they already know that everything is gone - they will want to support introduction of new gTLD with IDN extensions. Same goes for ccTLD extensions - they will likely push for a new IDN extension to mean "Japan" rather than alias dot JP. They damned sure won't push to alias something which has already been raped by foreigners - in my opinion.

Old 1st February 2008, 09:05 AM

khurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished road
Question Re: You Got Lucky. Now What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
This is precisely the reason why ICANN is refusing to mention dot COM aliasing now, IMO. Foreign constituencies will not support dot COM aliasing when they already know that everything is gone - they will want to support introduction of new gTLD with IDN extensions. Same goes for ccTLD extensions - they will likely push for a new IDN extension to mean "Japan" rather than alias dot JP. They damned sure won't push to alias something which has already been raped by foreigners - in my opinion.

Seems You are right, Jackson. But. I think they MUST do smth with IDN.com/.net. They can't leave them just as-is, are they?!
Old 1st February 2008, 09:08 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But. I think they MUST do smth with IDN.com/.net. They can't leave them just as-is, are they?!
Well, yes they can.

Old 1st February 2008, 09:23 AM
Veteran

Quote:

This might be possible for .jp. They can always do a new landrush for .japan.

For .cn, .china is already mapped to .cn.

Quote:
Well, yes they can.

Has this been confirmed? Or just hearsay? First time i heard this is from Fka200?

Last edited by touchring; 1st February 2008 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 1st February 2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Has this been confirmed? Or just hearsay?
The question was "they can't just leave them as they are, can they?". Yes, they can leave them as they are. There is nothing which can force ICANN to deliver IDN aliases for dot COM and dot NET. They did not sell hundreds of thousands of IDNs with a pre-existing promise to alias the extensions into native languages, now did they? IDN.com and .net have been sold "AS IS".

Old 1st February 2008, 10:08 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Seems You are right, Jackson. But. I think they MUST do smth with IDN.com/.net. They can't leave them just as-is, are they?!
To some, idn.com is viewed as the most powerful IDN extension possible, and they may not want it changed at all.
Old 1st February 2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
To some, idn.com is viewed as the most powerful IDN extension possible, and they may not want it changed at all.
I do not mean to change it to ccTLD (f.e.), but to translate it to .ком (and other languages).