IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2008, 06:26 PM

rolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up My FREE Ebook on IDNs

Hey all,

I think I mentioned this in an earlier thread, that I was writing a book aimed at internet marketers who know nothing about IDNs but actually this book is useful for anyone who knows nothing about IDNs.

I was originally going to sell it (there is a well established market for internet marketers selling ebooks to each other) but in the end I made it a free ebook. You can send it to friends and associates, put it on your site etc. as long as its not modified (the full rights are listed in the book).

Now most of you know I am revisiting IDNs and let me make it clear - I am definitely no expert. However, you don't have to be an expert to write a basic guide to IDNs, after all. I fully expect that there will be a few errors that many IDN experts here can point out so please don't crucify me over this.

However, I think this makes a good introduction to IDNs and that's why I made it free, so people can spread it around and get the word out about IDNs (I freely admit that there are also a few affiliate links in it too). It's a bit like a super sticky topic on a forum that can be emailed to someone or whatever.

So I think this could be a good read for anyone who wants to get a basic idea and learn what IDNs are all about whether it's friends, business associates, potential investors etc. - they have all the basic info in one place, in a pdf that they can easily print out and read on the bus or whatever.

I know that some people don't see the value in convincing others but I do, I think IDN has enough momentum as it is but more and more exposure cannot hurt. If anything, I think that IDNs have suffered from underexposure compared to where they should be.

I would love to hear any comments you guys have, please not just criticism about a few harmless errors in the book (I do intend to update it though) but I hope you also appreciate the several hours of effort I have put into this spread over several days and now offering for free.

Click below to download:
IDN On Steroids

Cheers
Old 2nd February 2008, 06:33 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: My FREE Ebook on IDNs

Giving info away for free and cutting into other people's ebook profits is wrong.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 2nd February 2008 at 06:40 PM..
Old 2nd February 2008, 06:43 PM

You're welcome to your opinion but there are many books available on the internet, both paid and free. And surely there is nothing wrong in being a philanthropist? By the way, I see no other books around on IDNs because these books simply don't have any current commercial value (I know because I tried) so I can't see this eating anyone else's profits either.

Last edited by rolf; 2nd February 2008 at 07:00 PM..
Old 2nd February 2008, 06:51 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Giving info away for free and cutting into other people's ebook profits is wrong.
I can't see it is wrong, but then I probably won't subscribe anyway!
Old 2nd February 2008, 06:53 PM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a very well written and comprehensive guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolf
they simply don't have any current commercial value
BTW, this is a ridiculous statement. If you believe this, please push me all your names. I will pay you $20 for your time.

Last edited by zenmarketing; 2nd February 2008 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 2nd February 2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmarketing
It's a very well written and comprehensive guide.

BTW, this is a ridiculous statement. If you believe this, please push me all your names. I will pay you $20 for your time.
Hi Zen, thanks for your comments. By the way, when I said "no commercial value", I meant in an IDN ebook, not IDNs themselves, hehe, of course not. Corrected my post just now to clarify.
Old 2nd February 2008, 06:59 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolf
You're welcome to your opinion but there are many books available on the internet, both paid and free. And surely there is nothing wrong in being a philanthropist? By the way, I see no other books around on IDNs because they simply don't have any current commercial value (I know because I tried) so I can't see this eating anyone else's profits either.
There are several, including a couple in Japanese, and one English ebook that has turned a good profit that has been promoted on this forum.

There is nothing wrong in being a philanthropist when what you are doing is charity work.

IDNs are not charity work, but profit driven and you are cutting into other people's vested interests.
Old 2nd February 2008, 07:00 PM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point

I think www.idnebook.com does some sales, so I'm not sure about that either.
Old 2nd February 2008, 07:08 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
WOW. Even China doesn't think like that anymore. It's a free market world. Let people choose what to read, when to read and how much to pay for it.

So, Wordpress was wrong? They killed Movable Type, but check now: Movable Type is going free also and we all win. How about Linux? Poor Micro$oft.
Old 2nd February 2008, 07:13 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

quote: So how do your domains and your IDNs in particular get traffic? Especially for IDNs, 99% of the traffic is coming from type ins.

*cough bs.. cough *

IMO if you have an opinion thats fine to say it. But if you quote numbers, then back it up with some science & evidence.. otherwise when people read it they will think all your stats are BS.. just like the one above.
Old 2nd February 2008, 07:17 PM

Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Rolf,

I think it's an excellent initiative.
It certainly beats sitting on big IDN portfolios and wondering when the ball will start to roll.

I intend to do a marketing brief myself in a couple of months, because it's time to be proactive about this. Browser support is no longer much of an issue for latins and I don't see the point of being secretive about what domains I have because ... there's hardly anything left to reg. In French, at least.

I'll look into yours more in detail soon, but right now I have this suggestion: make a short version of it as well. 50 page of pdf will lose a lot of readers...

Cheers,
Old 2nd February 2008, 07:22 PM
Veteran

Yup, there's hardly anything left to reg. Your best bet is the secondary market now.™
Old 2nd February 2008, 07:26 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

couple of glaring points:

1. typein i mentioned earlier
2. you don't have to be a resident to own a .cn
3. .TV is not a strange TLD in fact in some parts of the world very popular, and its a cctld anyway
Old 2nd February 2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
quote: So how do your domains and your IDNs in particular get traffic? Especially for IDNs, 99% of the traffic is coming from type ins.

*cough bs.. cough *

IMO if you have an opinion thats fine to say it. But if you quote numbers, then back it up with some science & evidence.. otherwise when people read it they will think all your stats are BS.. just like the one above.
Thanks for the feedback Alpha. I intend to make corrections for the 2nd version.

btw are there any more accurate stats out there that I could use?

Cheers
Old 2nd February 2008, 07:54 PM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough

Good for you. Excellent effort.

The one thing I noticed was that bit on pages 13-14 about ICANN mapping .com and .net. Your rhetorical questions aren't very persuasive (e.g. "Do you think ICANN would risk leaving people who have invested millions..." – ICANN has nothing to risk; they are the only game in town).

IMO, there's no telling how or when TLD's will be available worldwide in local languages. No reason to mislead people into thinking that logic will prevail.

Overall, though, good work. Not charity work, though, as goodwill is priceless to any business enterprise. Turns out, free can be very profitable.
Old 2nd February 2008, 07:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
As well, unlike RD, I think that most people in the IDN business prefer to keep a low profile so that they can quietly build up their portfolio without attracting other investors into the field. I and many other people are grateful to RD for his outspokenness, as that is what has alerted us to this opportunity.
Priceless. Replace RD with Rolf and a free IDN book and the same point can be made.
Old 2nd February 2008, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the construct criticism guys, comments are always great as long as they are constructive so please keep 'em coming. I intend to correct the innaccuracies within a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Old 2nd February 2008, 08:33 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Good effort Rolf, I'll host the pdf on idntools, free resources are always welcome.

Let me know when you update it.

Can you not place the video on youtube ?

About the type-ins, SE traffic is normally dominant over type-ins provided the site is mature; the site is indexed, it has inbound links and most of the type-ins will probably originate from returning visitors. I have heard numbers of 70% SE/links,30% type-ins, somewhere in that range, the better the term, the higher the type-in/SE ratio and the more likely your term will end-up in SE's to begin with.

For parking pages (IDN or otherwise) this means that in normal circumstance ALL of the traffic is type-in traffic since maturity is effectively zero, exceptions are of course parked domains with a history, i.e. those who have remaining inbound links or SE ranking. The strength of IDN's lies in the strength of their translations, they're high potentials for local brands and they all smile at the search engine spiders.

About the video, I saW[edit] you were using an excel sheet --> domainsite --> excel sheet combo operation to extract available domains, however this can be done by simply using the sort function of my bulk status checker plus you don't need to add the extension.

Last edited by bramiozo; 3rd February 2008 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 2nd February 2008, 11:46 PM

Hi bramiozo, thanks for the hosting and the comments, I shall definitely let you know when I update.

I have put the video on Daily Motion and need to split it into 5 parts before uploading to Youtube which I'll do later.

http://www.dailymotion.com/profitswi...names_business
Old 2nd February 2008, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Dude, go for a job interview at a telco, oil or drug company. They LOVE people with protectionist ideals.