IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > IDN Newbies

IDN Newbies IDN domain newbie questions like What is an IDN domain, what are idners, how do you use punycode, is there a Japanese sedo etc. Since this is a new market please don't hesitate to ask questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2008, 07:35 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Panning for Gold the alpha way: pt1

Inspired by Rolf's thread on techniques for finding some IDN gold, I thought I'd share a slightly different method that I have been using since day 1.

Why is it different?

Those of us that have been in this for a while know there are many pitfalls with first taking an English word then trying to translate it to another language.
There are usually many variations of that English word in the foreign language, and you cannot rely on any translator tool to "pick" the right one.

But this method below approaches it from the other direction.

In essence you are finding the Foreign word first, then translating to English.

here's how it works in Japanese:

What you'll need:

a. Some imagination
b. A bulk translator tool. (I'm using Jim Breen here) but you could use Systran for other languages
c. To process the results in bulk, some fancy excel skills

There are 4 screen shots below:

1. Pick a language. I picked Japanese. Change the Google preferences to only return Japanese results. and set the max results per page to 100

2. Pick a genre. I picked "sport". The results returned probably all have something or other to do with sport. Notice the results are in Japanese. Thank you big G. Select the entire page and copy

3. Paste it into a translator. Make sure you tick the "no repeated translations", otherwise you'll have a squillion repeated terms to scroll through.

4. Check out the translated results

You can now either cherry-pick terms you like the look of and check for availability, or if you have excel skills, you can select, copy and paste the entire screen, strip out the erroneous stuff you don't need, whack a .com, .net, or .jp on the end, and bulk check the lot.

Of course you need to do further research to confirm what you find is worth regging - but end-to-end this process takes less than minute and can harvest thousands of terms very quickly.

Enjoy!

.. comments welcome. and old timers.. send me a PM if you don't like stuff like this getting out, don't flame my thread.

Old 3rd February 2008, 07:41 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Re: Panning for Gold the alpha way: pt1

Quite straightforward technique. I can't imagine that anybody would protest about this.

Old 4th February 2008, 04:04 AM

sunsei21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sunsei21 Send a message via Skype™ to sunsei21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Quite straightforward technique. I can't imagine that anybody would protest about this.

ya me neither its anyones right to pass along information or misinformation im really beginning to think idns are less competitive than i first thought with that said anyone want to give out some free lists, tips ,money, domains? pm is open :p
Old 4th February 2008, 04:18 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, never thought of that myself, but i do use google.jp to search english terms at times.

The problem nowadays is the super slow speed of overture - i still rely on overture count to decide on whether to register a JP name.