IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th February 2008, 05:52 AM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point
Why I'm Moving to DNLocal

I think we can all see the writing on the wall here.

There are two distinct possibilities:

1. Craig has given up on caring about IDNForums
2. Something terrible has happened to Craig

Now, I really hope it's #1, for Craig's sake. But in either case, we cannot continue to function on IDNForums with no admin.

We need a place to go. A lot of suggestions have been made, a few arguments erupted, and a few members have even started up brand new forums. There has been no consensus.

I'd like to make clear my position that we should all rally behind DNLocal.

Why DNLocal?

Frankly, because Dave deserves it. He deserves it more than any of us here.

Dave did not ask me to write this and he will be hearing this for the first time just as you are.

Love him or hate him, there is absolutely no questioning the fact that he has been a driving force in the IDN movement. A defining figure. In fact, many of us, including me, wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for him.

None of us have put it all on the line like he has. I can see through his words his unwavering belief in IDN domains and his total dedication to his vision.

That is the type of person I want leading the forum where I choose to reside.

We had some great times here at IDNForums, but all good things must come to an end.

So, I'm off to DNLocal as we enter the next chapter of IDN history. I hope that others will see what I see and choose to follow.

Joe
Old 4th February 2008, 05:57 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough
Re: Why I'm Moving to DNLocal

DNLocal has always been alive in my eyes. I try to post as much as I can there. Problem is I'm so damn accustomed to vBulletin.
Old 4th February 2008, 05:58 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Well, I am only going to post in one forum at a time, and as I cannot leave Zen there on his own, then I guess that is Good Bye IDNForums.

I also hope nothing serious has happen to Craig, but my view is that it probably hasn't. But from the forums perspective that is equally serious.
Old 4th February 2008, 06:10 AM

zenmarketing is an unknown quantity at this point

With that said, let's all continue the discussion here:

http://www.dnlocal.com/general_discu...s-t2965.0.html
Old 4th February 2008, 06:14 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Good luck to you all. Have fun over there.

Old 4th February 2008, 06:14 AM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmarketing
... So, I'm off to DNLocal as we enter the next chapter of IDN history...

Joe
But you won't be able to access the site when you are in China.

Yes, IDNForums.com will sink into oblivion soon.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 4th February 2008, 06:39 AM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

ok I got an idea!

list 45% of dnlocal at fusu.com

not only the domain but also the forum content

shares should be available for old members at idnforums first to buy and rubber duck or whoever is the owner gets 55% of shares

there should be two types of memberships

one free membership with limited access

and another special membership for those who owns more than 5 stocks for example

if it is like that I am in and I will leave here .

I don't like how dnlocal looks like but it doesn't matter as long as I own stocks that will increase in price
Old 4th February 2008, 06:46 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

If any of you have problems registering at dnlocal let me know
Old 4th February 2008, 06:56 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll hang here awhile but will visit dnlocal as I periodically do anyway...
Old 4th February 2008, 07:19 AM

alibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to alibuba

just signed up there. familiarizing my self with the way it looks and were everything is. i think this site is easier to use plus i like how the homepage of this site has all latest threads compared to dnlocal having new threads in a small box on the right side. hopefully all goes well.
Old 4th February 2008, 08:20 AM

khurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to khurtsiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200
Problem is I'm so damn accustomed to vBulletin.
I have just the same problem. vBulletin addiction is hard to fight with...

If IDNForums will go down (that is what I hardly do not want to be) we should speak somwhere. The best place certanly is DNLocal. But SMF is killing me... May be there is possibility to convert it to vBulletin? I heard smth about this.
Old 4th February 2008, 09:58 AM

domain_trader is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajiotaj
May be there is possibility to convert it to vBulletin? I heard smth about this.
I think there is a way of implementing a latest threads page with SMF like with VBulletin, but it's a bit dicey to do mod changes with SMF. I'll experiment with my forum at IDNtraders.com over the next few days to see if it can be done, then Dave might want to consider implementing it on his forum. For those of you who've signed up at IDNtraders, if it goes down for any reason, you'll know why!
Old 4th February 2008, 11:00 AM

mgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enough

Yeah dnlocal not accessible here while i am in China. Would have to try using a proxy.

Looks like my username has been taken at dnlocal

Last edited by mgrohan; 4th February 2008 at 11:22 AM..
Old 4th February 2008, 11:16 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
I don't like how dnlocal looks
I have written Dave and Jose about same.

The platform does not feel "user friendly" and is the MAIN reason that people did not stay around and post.

You should consider an upgrade to a user friendly platform such as at DNForum, Namepros, or this version.
I am sure that members would chip in...or maybe put it up to a vote. At any rate, I would visit both forums as
I do with DNForum, Namepros etc.
Old 4th February 2008, 11:36 AM

Muhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enough

Since things are not yet cleared, who watchs this thread here knows that Craig is 100% still alive, what is exactly happening to him now? nobody knows, we just pray and hope he is ok and nothing very bad happened to him, this is the most important point for now. so for now, personally, I'll remain here and post at DNLocal in the same time, I registered with DNLocal from the first time I knew about and have no problem at all to all of us goes there if the place here is gone, we won't for sure find a better place
as for DNL I just hope if RD consider to change SMF to VB, most of forum's visitors prefers VB instead of other scripts, changing will help IMO
Old 4th February 2008, 11:44 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Look it is not my idea to set up rehash DNLocal to suit your personal tastes. If your commitment is to post once in a while just in case this lame platform crashes beneath your feet, why the fuck should I bother at all, let alone go out and purchase a bloody vBulletin Licence? Frankly, you guys astound me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Mustafa
Since things are not yet cleared, who watchs this thread here knows that Craig is 100% still alive, what is exactly happening to him now? nobody knows, we just pray and hope he is ok and nothing very bad happened to him, this is the most important point for now. so for now, personally, I'll remain here and post at DNLocal in the same time, I registered with DNLocal from the first time I knew about and have no problem at all to all of us goes there if the place here is gone, we won't for sure find a better place
as for DNL I just hope if RD consider to change SMF to VB, most of forum's visitors prefers VB instead of other scripts, changing will help IMO
Old 4th February 2008, 11:50 AM

websjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished road

i just hope there is a proper auction plugin for SMF

apart from that <shrugs>
Old 4th February 2008, 12:50 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Look it is not my idea to set up rehash DNLocal to suit your personal tastes. If your commitment is to post once in a while just in case this lame platform crashes beneath your feet, why the fuck should I bother at all, let alone go out and purchase a bloody vBulletin Licence? Frankly, you guys astound me!

You can attract more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.

Old 4th February 2008, 01:00 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
You can attract more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.

Trying to run one of these forums is like herding cats. There is absolutely nothing to be made out of running a forum. If I have any real interest in doing this it won't be to create a site with any inherent monetary value. Who wants to attract flies anyway?

What I would like to see is a serious place where we can all discuss our mutual interests in a meaingful way, free of Spammers and other time wasters. If you want to do whatever it is the guys at NP do, then go and do it with my blessing. Just don't come back and tell me what they all "think", if indeed that is what they do!
Old 4th February 2008, 01:08 PM

Muhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enoughMuhammad Mustafa will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Calm Dave calm, when people says they prefer this and not that, they do NOT say you should or shouldn't do this or that, they just say their opinions and everything in the end up to you, it's all suggestions and you can take it or leave it!
personally, I won't take on behalf of any as I don't have this right, when I say I am going to remain here and be at DNLocal at the same time, this isn't means anyway that I'll be an IDNF memeber and once IDNF is down I'll go to DNLocal, simply NO, I'll remain a memeber here and I'll turn from inactive memeber there to an active there and remains an active memeber at DNLocal, and this isn't affected by IDNF destiny, as Bill said, like he (me too) do with DNF and NP, so how do I do in SEO for example with DP, v7n ...etc, it's NOT a matter of alternatives buddy, at least for me.
like in any business as we learned, your men and your customers are your assets, keep them happy and comfortable and you keep success, give them what they dislike and your business will go with the wine, exactly is any forum, forum's memeber are forum assets and are props of the forum success and the owner should take care of them to keep on his success, if you give a pinky style for your forum for example and 95% of your memebers of men and dislike this color and says so, you can't keep it and force them to use it with no alternative color because simply they will leave your forum and go to another one. So, again you do NOT have to change to VB it's just suggestions, and the final decision is yours.
hope my point of view is clear to you now, I didn't meant what you thought, what I said now is exactly what I meant, and kindly see your PMs at DNLocal I sent you a message there directly after my replay here and before I back here to see your replay, this message will clear it to you as I hope