IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

View Poll Results: MS' hostile bid for Yahoo, good or bad?
What bid? 0 0%
This is definitely bad and should be blocked at all costs. 8 40.00%
I'm neutral. 8 40.00%
This is really good. 4 20.00%
I am a Micros~1 lover! 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th February 2008, 06:42 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Microsoft's hostile takeover attempt of Yahoo!

Is this a good thing or a bad thing, you vote! Also, comments in the thread are welcome.

Old 4th February 2008, 07:00 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough
Re: Microsoft's hostile takeover attempt of Yahoo!

I don't know why but I feel if Microsoft were to take over Yahoo, things would be better. Competition is just getting out of control with people dieing over AdSense. Stronger competition would boost things.
Old 4th February 2008, 07:44 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

But the point is that MS doesn't compete, they kill. When have you seen them actually compete?

Old 4th February 2008, 10:30 PM

khurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to khurtsiya

This is good.

Even if this will be competition - Google will defenetly win.

I agree with Fka200:
Quote:
Stronger competition would boost things.
Old 5th February 2008, 06:16 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

If you think that greater competition is a good thing then please explain to me how merging 2 competing companies into one equals greater competition?

I think some of you may need some remedial math courses. Let me make it clear.

2-1=1
Old 5th February 2008, 06:32 AM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho
If you think that greater competition is a good thing then please explain to me how merging 2 competing companies into one equals greater competition?

2-1=1
And if Google grows too big, too strong, and without competitor(s), then:

3-2=1

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 5th February 2008, 06:37 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Search is a winner take all game. Google is way past the tipping point such that if this near monopoly is allowed to continue much longer neither yahoo nor msn will be viable by themselves. Together they have a hope of providing an alternative to Google. And Yahoo aligning themselves further with Google to avoid MSN is truly the anti-competitive move.

Although I would remain pessimistic even if the Yahoo/MSN thing happened. Why? Well Yahoo has no leadership. And MSN's leadership is arguably worse. This probably equals one expensive train wreck. Nonetheless, it's the best alternative that might exist to Google and so needs to be given a chance.
Old 5th February 2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
And Yahoo aligning themselves further with Google to avoid MSN is truly the anti-competitive move.
Code:
s/anti-competitive/commendable/
Old 5th February 2008, 06:46 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

2-1=1
Trust me, I get the point. The problem is people have seriously been losing their minds with AdSense. Things have gone to crap from what I've seen in the last year or so.

Who the hell is going to compete with Google? AdBrite? Bidvertiser? Unfortunately, those are the ONLY *ACTUAL* competition against AdSense. Have you tried them? THEY F*CKING SUCK. Really bad.

Microsoft can't do it, Yahoo had a damn good chance but have tripped over their own bullshit and need to be picked up some how--whether it be getting their crap together or having Microsoft buy them out.

With a merger, I REALLY think they can come up with a PPC program that can compete with AdSense. Alone... they haven't managed to do it... so if they merge, chances are better. Not saying they can since my magic 8-ball broke last week, but I'm sure it will at least give AdSense a reality slap that someone with money is actually challenging their #1 money maker.

As for the math part... right now it's only ONE (1). Take the 2 Bullshit companies subtract one to get one company that has a chance and you get 1 competing company. Take your one competing company and add it to the only "decent" player on the market and you get TWO companies in a market that are in competition--decent competition--as opposed to your one before.
Old 5th February 2008, 06:49 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200
With a merger, I REALLY think they can come up with a PPC program that can compete with AdSense. Alone... they haven't managed to do it... so if they merge, chances are better.

As for the math part... right now it's only ONE (1). Take your 2 Bullshit companies subtract one to get one company that has a chance and you get 1 competing company. Take your one competing company and add it to the only "decent" player on the market and you get TWO.

I think Microsoft can. What they lack is a captive market search engine (forget about msn.com! i believe the search market share for msn comes from "page not found redirects"!).

If Yahoo is left alone, it will be doomed in a matter of time.
Old 5th February 2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
i believe the search market share for msn comes from "page not found redirects"!).

Ouch!

Old 5th February 2008, 06:57 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Ouch!

This is the problem, they got no mindshare for search, it's useless if they got the best algo or head.

At least "some people" still use Yahoo for search. With Yahoo, their chances of catching up with Google will increase 1000%.

Last edited by touchring; 5th February 2008 at 07:02 AM..
Old 5th February 2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I think Microsoft can. What they lack is a captive market search engine (forget about msn.com! i believe the search market share for msn comes from "page not found redirects"!).

If Yahoo is left alone, it will be doomed in a matter of time.
We're talking about 4% of the search market here. It's all insignificant compared to what Google has. I'm surprised anyone would bother to defend google. They are a cool company and all, but let's call a spade a spade here shall be. They are the new Microsoft and need to be taken down.
Old 5th February 2008, 07:07 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
We're talking about 4% of the search market here. It's all insignificant compared to what Google has. I'm surprised anyone would bother to defend google. They are a cool company and all, but let's call a spade a spade here shall be. They are the new Microsoft and need to be taken down.

From the consumer point of view, i'll defend google, but as a webmaster and domain owner, i'm not happy if i end up with only one source of revenue.
Old 5th February 2008, 07:49 AM

khurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to khurtsiya

Quote:

2-1=1
And so do not forget that

1+1=2 :p
Old 5th February 2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
From the consumer point of view, i'll defend google, but as a webmaster and domain owner, i'm not happy if i end up with only one source of revenue.

Bullshit. People were making money with websites long before Adsense.

Old 5th February 2008, 02:54 PM

Charrua is an unknown quantity at this point

Nicrosoft = Monopoly that's all.
Old 5th February 2008, 09:20 PM

npcomplete is an unknown quantity at this point

What is this "MSN.COM" that people keep talking about?

Whoever the owner is, they need to realize that three letter ascii domains are quite valuable!
Old 6th February 2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrua
Nicrosoft = Monopoly that's all.
Give me a break. The world is never that simple. Here is a new one for you that is equally true unless the MS-Yahoo deal goes through.

Google = Monopoly

People get too caught up in brands and personalities. Both Google and Microsoft are large impersonal publicly traded companies acting in the best interest of their shareholders and only their shareholders. Ask yourself if you would judge this deal differently if you switched the names around. Because when it comes to the net, Google is the superpower
Old 6th February 2008, 05:35 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete
What is this "MSN.COM" that people keep talking about?

Whoever the owner is, they need to realize that three letter ascii domains are quite valuable!

What's the going rate for LLL.com?

Low $XX,XXX? LOL.