IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th February 2008, 05:08 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Understanding IDN Traffic

Comment by yours truly.

http://simplygeo.com/2008/02/03/unde...g-idn-traffic/

Old 5th February 2008, 05:28 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough
Re: Understanding IDN Traffic

Amazingly well said. Thanks for taking the time out to write all of that.
Old 5th February 2008, 05:40 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200
Amazingly well said. Thanks for taking the time out to write all of that.
Just spreadin' the word, brother, just spreadin' the word.

Old 5th February 2008, 05:48 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Just spreadin' the word, brother, just spreadin' the word.

My time will come soon enough where I start pulling my weight in spreading the word. Told a couple people last year and it was looking myself in the foot! .
Old 5th February 2008, 06:00 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting, i didn't know about the win95 thing. no wonder most people that got onto the internet are linux people. windows didn't support!! LOL.

And the linux ppl didn't know that domains were worth money!
Old 5th February 2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
And the linux ppl didn't know that domains were worth money!
Well, back in 93, 94 nobody knew the internet was going to take off. Before that, all we had was FidoNET. I was still heavily using FidoNET all the way until late 95.

In addition, the reason why I didn't buy domains back then was because I understood that you needed to have two nameservers on different C blocks and I thought that this would be nearly impossible for an individual person to achieve. I don't think registrars were offering DNS service back in the early days.

Oh well. I got a second chance with IDN, and I'm starting to do pretty well. Maybe it will turn out all right in the end after all.

Old 5th February 2008, 06:22 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Might sound silly, but until 1999, i didn't know it was possible to register a dot com domain - i thought you need to be an American company to do that! By the time i knew it was possible for foriegners to register dot com domains, it was too late....

LOL.
Old 5th February 2008, 06:35 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well, back in 93, 94 nobody knew the internet was going to take off.
Not true.
Old 5th February 2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Not true.
It was purely speculative! There were hardly any users at all.

Old 5th February 2008, 07:10 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Nice post MJ
Old 5th February 2008, 09:18 PM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

Good post mj, I too remember that lame Trumpet Winsock install nonsense. In early '93 we were all using Archie and Gopher, and later the web using lynx. In '94 graphical web browsers came alive.

I remember after I saw MOSAIC browser I learned how to write CGI programs (1994) using the common gateway interface. That guy who wrote the CGI code in Apache had some C code (cgiparse.c I think) that folks like me started using to process form POST data. Then we inspected each form var, marching our pointers up and down each array of chars, C style!

I also knew a guy running nameservers early on, but did not realize the fortune I could have made with domains. I registered one silly domain instead of getting a few valuable ones. I never followed up with more domains until around 2005.

note: edited because I rambled on so much the topic changed

Last edited by mdw; 5th February 2008 at 09:26 PM..
Old 6th February 2008, 12:37 AM

mgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enough

Great informative post, a good read.
Old 6th February 2008, 05:33 AM

dabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgy

A very poor article written by a newbee:

a stupid statement:
if a German speaking person wanted to visit the German version of “accessories.de” or “accessories.com”, he/she would simply type “zubehör.de” or “zubehör.com”

another stupid statement:
It is suspected by some that the reason Google refuses to allow IDN URLs (today) in Adwords campaigns is that an IDN owner would be able to bid far lower than competitors, thus ranking in a lower position on the page, yet still receive the majority of the clicks

Typing in IDN domains is nearly as simple as typing anything else, in many cases just as simple.

No further comments

DABSI
Old 6th February 2008, 06:30 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Thanks for another 'insightful post' dabsi .. :o
Old 6th February 2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsi

a stupid statement:
if a German speaking person wanted to visit the German version of “accessories.de” or “accessories.com”, he/she would simply type “zubehör.de” or “zubehör.com”

It is suspected by some that the reason Google refuses to allow IDN URLs (today) in Adwords campaigns is that an IDN owner would be able to bid far lower than competitors, thus ranking in a lower position on the page, yet still receive the majority of the clicks

Typing in IDN domains is nearly as simple as typing anything else, in many cases just as simple.

No further comments

DABSI

Dabsi, you are entitled to your opinions, but perhaps you could say why you think those are stupid statements.

And maybe some of the old-timers can tell me if you think my post was full of shit or on the money.

Last edited by jacksonm; 6th February 2008 at 08:25 AM..
Old 6th February 2008, 05:15 PM

domain_trader is an unknown quantity at this point

MJ, that was a damn good post in my opinion. Also well done Drew for providing those traffic figures.
Old 6th February 2008, 05:38 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
Dabsi, you are entitled to your opinions, but perhaps you could say why you think those are stupid statements.

And maybe some of the old-timers can tell me if you think my post was full of shit or on the money.

Your post was good.

Don't pay any attention to the malcontents. No one else does.
Old 6th February 2008, 05:43 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsi
a stupid statement:
No further comments
DABSI
Easy there Dabsi...the word "stupid" is insulting to Mike who did his level best to express his opinion on things.

There is a nicer way to say the same thing among friends.

And yes...you should elaborate on your answers.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 6th February 2008 at 06:10 PM..
Old 6th February 2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Easy there Dabsi...the word "stupid" is insulting to Mike who did his level best to express his opinion on things.

There is a nicer way to say the same thing among friends.

And yes...you should elaborate on your answers.

Look, she doesn't hurt my feelings. If she thinks those comments were stupid, though, she should explain herself.

Old 6th February 2008, 06:49 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Look, she doesn't hurt my feelings. If she thinks those comments were stupid, though, she should explain herself.
MJ the post was excellent. congrats. as for Dabsi, is she a blonde? have we established that.

tee1