IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th February 2008, 08:38 AM

khurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to khurtsiya
Angry ICANN Blog: When can I register domain names under IDN TLDs?

Seems we will not see IDN TLDs in action this year

http://blog.icann.org/?p=272
Old 7th February 2008, 08:42 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
Re: ICANN Blog: When can I register domain names under IDN TLDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajiotaj
Seems we will not see IDN TLDs in action this year

http://blog.icann.org/?p=272

RD said we will have aliasing by the end of 2008!

Old 7th February 2008, 10:24 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
RD said we will have aliasing by the end of 2008!

and 2006

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/2659-post8.html

prob 2007 too :p
Old 7th February 2008, 10:45 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Once again, Tina Dam fails to take the opportunity to say that while waiting for idn.idn, you can register and
use idn.com and idn.net TODAY!

Tina Dam:
ICANN hears this question all the time at meetings, events, in different online forums, on the idn.icann.org wiki, and in emails and phone calls. The great challenge is it the answer isn’t the specific “as of this date” answer so many people want to hear. Because of the nature of some critical functions that still needs to be finalized, such as for example the policy process, we’re only able to provide an estimate.

Right now both the GNSO and the ccNSO are taking a look at how IDNs can be introduced or delegated at the top-level – how you can get, say, all-Arabic-cahracters after the dot in a domain name. ICANN have processes for delgation of ccTLDs and there have been a couple of rounds in the past years for introduction of new gTLDs, but none of these included IDN TLDs.

For the GNSO this is a matter of the general process for introduction of new gTLDs. There is lots of information on this at: http://gnso.icann.org

The ccNSO is working on two processes right now – the overarching policy development process (PDP) for having IDN equivalents of the country-code top-level domains, and a fast-track process to find a way to introduce a limited number of “IDN ccTLDs” to represent territory identifications in characters from their their local languages in operation as ccTLDs as quickly as possible in the areas of highest need, without impacting the long-term policy process for the full implementation of IDNs.

The first draft report for the fast-track work has just been posted for public comments and will be discussed further during the ICANN meeting in Delhi. All IDN interested parties are urged to provide their comments on the report. The announcement and comment forum can be found here: http://www.icann.org/announcements/a...nt-01feb08.htm

But back to the question. While both the fast-track and the process for introduction of new gTLDs are aiming at being available by mid- or late-2008, it will still take time to see IDN registrations because the next step will need to happen. IDN TLD operators need to step forward, get approved/delgatons need to take place, and start operating with registry operator going through any launch phase that they may have determined provides the best service to the community they are intending to serve.

Simply, even though processes are underway together with the rest of the IDN related work, it’s impossible to give a final or specific date for end users to get through all of those steps. That said, everyone working on this understands the incredible desire in the community and across the globe to have the first registrations under IDN TLDs. We are going to get there together.
Old 7th February 2008, 10:54 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road

She's just a pawn. She can't say what her superiors have prohibited her from saying.

Old 7th February 2008, 11:55 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
She's just a pawn. She can't say what her superiors have prohibited her from saying.
Hard to fathom that she does not explain the process has started with idn.com, and that the "next step" in the
grand scheme of things is to incorporate estensions in the various international languages. When idn.COM
start popping up on Page 1 of keyword searches users are going to say WTF are these! :o
Old 7th February 2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
When idn.COM
start popping up on Page 1 of keyword searches users are going to say WTF are these! :o

Yes, my minisite visitors (thousands daily) are probably wondering the same thing - that is if it even registers in their conscious minds. It certainly registers in their subliminal minds, they just choose the IDN result out of familiarity with the proper spelling of the word(s).

Old 7th February 2008, 05:52 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the state of the state of the state of IDNs.... Personally, I think that if Tina had announced to the world that IDN.coms are available 6 months ago, I wouldn't have been able to get some of the good to mediocre name that I registered.

I'm finding that with good names, not great names, usually the only things left to reg are the .ws or the .biz. and of course .tv .cc. Now this isn't true for the ascii world. Many good ascii names have the .orgs and other lessor extentions still available. It's strange actually to see this.

I have a friend who regs ascii names all day long. He has 2 full time developers. I'm glad he is not interested in IDNs. He actually has a lot of spanish ascii's but can't see the logic of registering with accents. I have some spanish idns with accents that I think will kick the crap out of his names in a few years. We'll see.

In the meantime, I will continue to reg before the big boys take all that's left.