IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2008, 06:27 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
ICANN have basically killed any prospect of IDN.IDN challenging IDN.com

NEW YORK (AP) — Weeklong discussions in India about the creation of online domain names entirely in languages other than English led to greater understanding but no major decisions, the chief executive of the Internet's key oversight agency said Friday.

At issue is a proposed "fast-track" mechanism for specific countries to get non-English suffixes — the ".com" part of Internet addresses. For example, many Internet users in China would like to see a Chinese-character equivalent of the ".cn" suffix.

Under one scenario, each country would be entitled to one non-English suffix while work continues on resolving broader challenges, such as how to make sure a domain in one language isn't inadvertently offensive in another.

Addresses partly in foreign languages are sometimes possible today, but the suffix for now is limited to 37 characters: a-z, 0-9 and the hyphen.

Supporters say demand for non-English names — to expand Internet usage to those who cannot speak English or at least type English characters — is so great they cannot afford to wait the few years it might take to settle those questions.

Critics of giving those countries "fast-track" status worry that they would get an unfair advantage over those that must wait until the full guidelines are developed.

"At the beginning of the week, various groups mapped out their extreme positions," said Paul Twomey, chief executive of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, the U.S. group tasked with overseeing domain name issues. "By the end of the week, it became a more reasonable conversation."

Twomey said a working group may make recommendations by ICANN's next major meeting in Paris in June. ICANN's board took no action on new domains Friday as the meetings wrapped up in New Delhi.

Twomey said he does not expect ICANN to start accepting bids for specific names until the end of this year at the earliest.

ICANN also has been working on procedures for creating new domain names in English to join the more than 250 already in existence. Those rules are still being formulated.

The board took no action on a proposed ".post" for postal services, the only application still pending from 2004.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...bEDFQD8UQT8980

No IDN.IDN before 2009 at the earliest. Absolutely nothing of any significance settled in Delhi!
Old 15th February 2008, 06:40 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: ICANN have basically killed any prospect of IDN.IDN challenging IDN.com

Maybe....someone should tell him about IDN.com, .net, .cn, .jp etc. that the world community could be using today.

Makes you wonder if Twomey even knows they exist :o
Old 15th February 2008, 06:44 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Doesn't make any difference whether he knows or not. We will have saturated browser support in the next 2 months. That means that companies can start deploying the IDN.com sites, which I am confident they will. Traffic is growing in Russia already of the back of browser support. By Christmas most markets will be IDN.com. IDN.IDN in most cases is just arriving too late to market to make any difference.
Old 15th February 2008, 06:53 PM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

Arab don't need countries IDN.IDN which is ruled by ugly opressive governments

those corrupted governments and companies will distribute premium IDNs to their friends and aquiantances! and don't forget the bureaucracy!

IDN.IDN ruled by those governments will be a great failure!

and all arab who push in this direction are those who already missed the boat on IDN.coms or in other words they intentionally let the boat leave without them!

Last edited by g; 15th February 2008 at 07:01 PM..
Old 15th February 2008, 06:59 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
Arab don't need countries IDN.IDN who is ruled by ugly opressive governments

those corrupted governments and companies will distribute premium IDNs to their friends and aquiantances! and don't forget the bureaucracy!

IDN.IDN ruled by those governments will be a great failure!

and all arab who push in this direction are those who already missed the boat on IDN.coms or in other words they intentionally let the boat leave without them!
Don't hold back on us g, tell us how you really feel!
Old 15th February 2008, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

>Critics of giving those countries "fast-track" status worry that they would get an unfair advantage over those that must wait until the full guidelines are developed.

Jesus fucking wept!

Compared to the "unfair advantage" English and other latin languages have had for the past 2 decades?

Talk about selfishness!
Old 15th February 2008, 07:21 PM

blackops is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
IDN.IDN in most cases is just arriving too late to market to make any difference.
lol, you keep telling yourself that
Old 15th February 2008, 07:23 PM

g is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished roadg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Don't hold back on us g, tell us how you really feel!
I feel like waking up after a nightmare

I saw myself in an exam room and Tina Dam was supervising on me
the time was running out and I found that I can couldn't complete the exam in the allowed time....and my pencil kept breaking during the exam.....I also couldn't answers the questions which were not in arabic but in chinese or korean .....

Thank God it was a nightmare .......lol
Old 15th February 2008, 07:39 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by g

the time was running out and I found that I can couldn't complete the exam in the allowed time....and my pencil kept breaking during the exam.....I also couldn't answers the questions which were not in arabic but in chinese or korean .....

I'm in the middle of lecture class and just started laughing after reading that. Hilarious.

You're thinking of Tina while you sleep? !
Old 15th February 2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200
I'm in the middle of lecture class and just started laughing after reading that. Hilarious.

You're thinking of Tina while you sleep? !
this is not as strange as you are in the middle of lecture class and browsing the internet and reading idnforums discussions!

We are in this together

IDNs' obsession is a common disorder for all IDNers
Old 15th February 2008, 08:15 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
No IDN.IDN before 2009 at the earliest. Absolutely nothing of any significance settled in Delhi!

I bet they spent lots of time after midnight in the hotel lounge.

This is exactly what you get when you leave it up to a committee to decide on something which should take about 10 minutes of thought from a single person.

Dot Com ASCII extension will be our king, then. Watch out for an announcement I will be making within the next few days. Hint: I am programming a custom extension for Firefox.

Old 15th February 2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g
We are in this together
IDNs' obsession is a common disorder for all IDNers
Dr. G's diagnosis is correct.
Old 15th February 2008, 09:17 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by g

At least you didn't add that when you looked down, you realised that you weren't wearing any clothes.

I have had the "back in the exam room and haven't studied for exam" nightmares quite often, yet its been about 15 years since my last exam at university !!

Old 15th February 2008, 09:43 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

"Plans to fast-track the introduction of non-English characters in website domain names could "break the whole internet", warns ICANN chief executive Paul Twomey. (November 21, 2006 - 3:59PM)
Old 15th February 2008, 09:59 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW, now that's a strange warning. Maybe they still feel that way......

I think it's time for penetration. Perhaps it's time to form an organization to promote idn's throughout the world. Or are we still waiting.

I know some have been putting the word out, but we need representitives from each country with a population of over 20 million. Let's take over the world!

Where's mini-mee?

Seriously folks, we can't lobby washington for this one until we sell some 1Mill idns,
so perhaps forming an organisation is the first step to more fruitful penetration.

Last edited by phio; 15th February 2008 at 10:07 PM..
Old 15th February 2008, 10:17 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Quote:
Watch out for an announcement I will be making within the next few days. Hint: I am programming a custom extension for Firefox.
I think a Thunderbird add-on that would display email addresses in unicode would do wonders to get the word out.
Old 15th February 2008, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm
Dot Com ASCII extension will be our king, then. Watch out for an announcement I will be making within the next few days. Hint: I am programming a custom extension for Firefox.

Cool. I started writing one quite a while back, but their methodology drove me batshit crazy.

LMK if you need testers, and if it's good I'll help you promote it.
Old 15th February 2008, 11:18 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
Cool. I started writing one quite a while back, but their methodology drove me batshit crazy.
You're not kidding. I had planned quite a lot of features for it, then found out that it's impossible to implement new data sources entirely in javascript - still need to compile the IDL files. So, it's been slimmed down to just the bear necessities :-)

Quote:
LMK if you need testers, and if it's good I'll help you promote it.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
I think a Thunderbird add-on that would display email addresses in unicode would do wonders to get the word out.
I will look into it and see if it's possible. Mozilla does expose the punycode converter to javascript, so that's nice:

http://www.xulplanet.com/references/...DNService.html

Last edited by jacksonm; 15th February 2008 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 15th February 2008, 11:21 PM
Administrator

If ICANN keeps running on slow, watch the Chinese, Russians and Middle Easterners join to gether to form a new root server consortium that ignores ICANN, and watch a whole bunch of countries that are sick and tired of Bush flip sides.
Old 16th February 2008, 01:04 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If ICANN keeps running on slow, watch the Chinese, Russians and Middle Easterners join to gether to form a new root server consortium that ignores ICANN, and watch a whole bunch of countries that are sick and tired of Bush flip sides.

If this happens in the end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.