IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 日本語ドメイン

日本語ドメイン Discussion for Japan IDN Domain names. Japanese IDNs are available in .com .net & .jp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2008, 01:57 PM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road
So, how much longer do we need to wait?

I am a little bit dwarfed by the slow pace of IE7 penetration in the Japanese market after 13 Feb.
My access analysis tool shows only about 1/4 of visitors to my sites are using IE7.

How much longer do we need to wait till IE7 becomes a dominant browser in Japan? Any guesses?

These days I hear people saying Russian IDNs are starting to receive a significant number of clicks... How high is the browser support of IDNs in Russia? Are they over 70%? 80%?

I am a bit pissed and want to complain.... What's wrong with my fellow county men? Why don't they use Firefox, IE7, Opera, etc? Why do they stick to old outfashioned IE6 so badly...? Would they stick to old nonsensual ascii domains in the same manner for a long long time?

If so, we might need to wait for a looooong time till our Japanese domaining business becomes profitable...

These days I laugh when my non-Japanese friends say Japan is a high-tech world...
Old 26th February 2008, 02:03 PM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough
Re: So, how much longer do we need to wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
These days I laugh when my non-Japanese friends say Japan is a high-tech world...
High-tech but very traditional.

IDN.enterprises - buying, selling, brokering IDNs
Old 26th February 2008, 02:10 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu

I think IDN has nothing to do with hi-tech. It is more a habit than technology.
Old 26th February 2008, 02:21 PM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I think IDN has nothing to do with hi-tech. It is more a habit than technology.
well, i would imagine a high tech world to be full of tech-savvy folks. and idn-capable browsers such as firefox and ie7 should appeal to them.

Last edited by Ryu; 26th February 2008 at 08:10 PM..
Old 26th February 2008, 02:37 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

IE7 penetration won't do much for Japanese type-in traffic, if that's what you're asking.

Until perceptions change, Japanese surfers will be going to Yahoo and continue entering their search terms there.

It's a cultural thing; the Russians just seem to be ahead of the game, and any significant IE7 market uptake is equally reflected on the traffic.
Old 26th February 2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
IE7 penetration won't do much for Japanese type-in traffic, if that's what you're asking.

Until perceptions change, Japanese surfers will be going to Yahoo and continue entering their search terms there.

It's a cultural thing; the Russians just seem to be ahead of the game, and any significant IE7 market uptake is equally reflected on the traffic.
Without enough browser support, most companies and bloggers wouldn't start advertising their IDNs seriously... Neither would they switch their main web addresses from ascii to IDNs...

I don't think it's a cultural thing (search behavior). It's just a matter of how many IDNs are out there... being used by webmasters... For example, I am very well aware of IDNs, but I seldom type-in IDNs because I know chances are that there'd be no site. On the other hand, I have tried typing in a number of ascii names even before i became interested in domaining... I remember testing various English domain names with my Japanese friends during my school days... We were excited that there were actually websites built using these names we were typing.. We would have tried IDNs, too, if they were around...

Last edited by Ryu; 26th February 2008 at 02:59 PM..
Old 26th February 2008, 02:59 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
Without enough browser support, most companies and bloggers wouldn't start advertising their IDNs seriously... Neither would they switch from ascii to IDNs as their main web addresses...

I don't think it's a cultural thing (search behavior). It's just a matter of how many IDNs are out there... being used by webmasters... For example, I am very well aware of IDNs, but I seldom type-in because I know chances are that there'd be no site. On the other hand, I have tried typing in a number of ascii names even before i became interested in domaining... I remember testing various English domain names with my Japanese friends during my school days... We would have tried IDNs, too, if they were around...
Well, I surely don't have anything to back this up, but I'm willing to bet that there are way less Russian IDN developed sites than Japanese(not minisites from domain investors - 100% commercial ones).

How then do you account for the Russian traffic if not for different search behavior?
Old 26th February 2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Well, I surely don't have anything to back this up, but I'm willing to bet that there are way less Russian IDN developed sites than Japanese(not minisites from domain investors - 100% commercial ones).

How then do you account for the Russian traffic if not for different search behavior?

Maybe there are less Russian IDN websites around... But there are perhaps more browser supports and hence IDN advertisements.

In that case, there'd be more Russians than Japanese who are aware of IDNs. And I guess they are the ones who are typing-in. It's probably not a small number of people typing-in often as that would require many IDN websites up and running.. (People get bored soon if they type-in and see no websites)

But perhaps there are a significant number of Russian people who are aware of IDNs... and perhaps many of them try typing in despite not so often. Even a small number can make a big tide if they are aggregated.
Old 26th February 2008, 03:15 PM
Veteran

as i understand, opera converts keywords into domains? e.g. auto adds .com. Am i correct?
Old 26th February 2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Also, I think Russians are overall more knowledgable about domain names in general. Russian webmasters must have been advertising their ascii domain names all the time. So, I imagine that many Russians know what domains are...

The situation is not quite the same in Japan... Companies and webmasters haven't tried so hard advertising their ascii names because these names are hard to remember anyway... As a result there are still many Japanes who haven't got a clue what domain names are, be it ascii or IDn..

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
as i understand, opera converts keywords into domains? e.g. auto adds .com. Am i correct?
That was the case when I was using opera about a year ago... Now that I use Firefox, I don't know if it still works the same way.
Old 26th February 2008, 04:21 PM
Veteran

1/4 is interesting, my japanese traffic barely increased since a month ago (15% at most). How's your stats like?

I'll be happy if i could get a IE multiplier of 2 on my JP names. :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
I am a little bit dwarfed by the slow pace of IE7 penetration in the Japanese market after 13 Feb.
My access analysis tool shows only about 1/4 of visitors to my sites are using IE7.

Last edited by touchring; 26th February 2008 at 04:33 PM..
Old 26th February 2008, 05:26 PM

My traffic has hardly increased, either.

However, one extremely dodge (yet generic) name I regged about a month ago has been rocking hard. Its traffic has already surpassed 1000 visits and 50 clicks for this month.

The name has a high ovt score of half a million... and there appears to be many websites of same or similar title...
Old 26th February 2008, 05:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
My traffic has hardly increased, either.

However, one extremely dodge (yet generic) name I regged about a month ago has been rocking hard. Its traffic has already surpassed 1000 visits and 50 clicks for this month.

The name has a high ovt score of half a million... and there appears to be many websites of same or similar title...

Wow, a high ovt generic that is still available. Rare gem indeed.
Old 26th February 2008, 07:22 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu

These days I hear people saying Russian IDNs are starting to receive a significant number of clicks... How high is the browser support of IDNs in Russia? Are they over 70%? 80%?
The IDN browser penetration in Russia is on the rise and around 60%. Plus you need to multiply that Yandex score by 2.5 in order to get the full picture, since Yandex has only 40% market share. So, a generic with 2MM yandex score will imply that 5 million people are searching for that term each month. Don't be surprised to get close to 60-80 visitors per day on that domain with a decent (30%+) CTR.

Last edited by Explorer; 26th February 2008 at 07:27 PM..
Old 26th February 2008, 07:32 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

It funny how those that turned up yesterday are always the most impatient.

Speculation is about investing. Then waiting for market perceptions to change. Seriously, if they had changed much in a couple of months, we would be in the middle of a stampede.

Anyway, who says there is no improvement?
Old 26th February 2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
The IDN browser penetration in Russia is on the rise and around 60%. Plus you need to multiply that Yandex score by 2.5 in order to get the full picture, since Yandex has only 40% market share. So, a generic with 2MM yandex score will imply that 5 million people are searching for that term each month. Don't be surprised to get close to 60-80 visitors per day on that domain with a decent (30%+) CTR.
Thanks for your info about Russian names! It's very intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
It funny how those that turned up yesterday are always the most impatient.

Speculation is about investing. Then waiting for market perceptions to change. Seriously, if they had changed much in a couple of months, we would be in the middle of a stampede.

Anyway, who says there is no improvement?
I may have turned up at IDNF yesterday. But, I have been IDNing fore more than a year.

Besides, it just makes me feel better to complain once in a while...

BTW, who was hyping about "J-Day"?

Last edited by Ryu; 26th February 2008 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 26th February 2008, 07:46 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
Thanks for your info about Russian names! It's very intriguing.

I may have turned up at IDNF yesterday. But, I have been IDNing fore more than a year.

Besides, it just makes me feel better to complain once in a while...

BTW, who was hyping about "J-Day"?

http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Old 26th February 2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Thanks. Very interesting... And the AU started in Russia on 1 Jan 2007...

So it took Russians almost a year before a majority of them switched from IE6 to IE7...
Old 26th February 2008, 08:02 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

With a planned release of IE8 Mid-2008, I think we are going to be doing better then expected in 2009.
Old 26th February 2008, 08:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu
Thanks. Very interesting... And the AU started in Russia on 1 Jan 2007...

So it took Russians almost a year before a majority of them switched from IE6 to IE7...
Yes, but Microsoft only started pushing it in earnest in November 2007.

The big problem we have is that the Japanese frankly don't have much idea about the Internet per se. There is no developed market in Japanese names, they cannot navigate, and they don't seem to understand SEO. The delays in IE7 roll-out were caused because of the banking system's dependence on ActiveX controls for F*ck's Sake. The scenario is a nightmare and that is one of the primary reason's that Japan has sat out the economic boom that has been going on elsewhere for the last decade.

I guess we are just going to have to wait for this thing to breakout in China, and then wait for the Japanese to play catch-up. Don't hold your breath.