IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2006, 12:56 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
What to expect after the Domain RoundTable

I just saw on DNJournal
http://www.dnjournal.com/articles/ev...006preview.htm
Ron did a prequel of the upcoming Domain Rountable with Jonathan Frakes
Jonathan also posted info about the event here...

It seems like the Domain Rountable is going to bring IDN Domains to the table.
I'm curious to know what level will IDN domains go right after this event. Will the writeups spur more sales? Or will the Pros start going into deeper technolgy to buy up everything under the sun?

I already know there's going to be a few big company announcements around that time that should help us all out.

But what immediate things should we expect?
Also is anyone here going to be able to attend? The Search Engine Strategies (SES) is in Tokyo this month so I can't dare leave Japan.
If anything I'm sure to order a DVD of the conferences after it's released...
any thoughts? Will they go in depth about IDN Domains?
I'd feel really comfortable with speakers about IDN Domains who had domains that I run into...
Old 26th March 2006, 01:49 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road
Re: What to expect after the Domain RoundTable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Will the writeups spur more sales? Or will the Pros start going into deeper technolgy to buy up everything under the sun?
The latter. It shouldn't take THAT much tweaking for them to adapt their existing programs and processes to handle IDNs, and then it's instantly "game over" for the rest of us.
Old 26th March 2006, 01:58 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
The latter. It shouldn't take THAT much tweaking for them to adapt their existing programs and processes to handle IDNs, and then it's instantly "game over" for the rest of us.
I think the pros are still taking a wait and see attitude, in the meantime, we should work towards increasing PPC income - i just realized that just getting a domain listed on Google can increase income many times, especially so when Google automatically converts unicode to punycode so just about anyone can reach the site, and CTR for targeted traffic coming from search engines is higher than usual. Just relying on type-in from opera/firefox users is very limited.

Last edited by touchring; 26th March 2006 at 02:02 PM..
Old 26th March 2006, 01:58 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
Well they can't really do traffic mining until there is substantial traffic. Of course when it gets to that stage everyone and his wife will be in the IDN Game. The idea is always to buy cheap and sell dear, but it is usually difficult to achieve in the same time frame!
Old 26th March 2006, 02:13 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

From being a developer & also SEO consult I see that most people have a fear about making technolgy internationally friendly or perhaps just have no clue at all of how to do it.

Also every site that wants to get involved in IDN Domains do not adapt their site to be unicode friendly. All of them have their encodes wrong.

Redoing technology would not be a simple task. They first have to understand it first before they know what to change.
Old 26th March 2006, 05:03 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
From being a developer & also SEO consult I see that most people have a fear about making technolgy internationally friendly or perhaps just have no clue at all of how to do it.

Also every site that wants to get involved in IDN Domains do not adapt their site to be unicode friendly. All of them have their encodes wrong.

Redoing technology would not be a simple task. They first have to understand it first before they know what to change.

I just create a "site map" for my arabic names, had to use notepad as Dreamweaver doesn't seem to support unicode.
Old 26th March 2006, 05:29 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well they can't really do traffic mining until there is substantial traffic.
Yes, and let's not forget the importance of being able to monetize the traffic. I got into idn from regular latin foreign domains. There were thousands of Portuguese terms and Spanish terms that were recently still available that get traffic but are very hard to monetize that no one was touching. I bought up hundreds of them in July and August.

It really comes down to how fast they can get parking sites to collect revenue from the traffic on these domains.

We idners buy them for the potential of traffic and revenue. The "top dogs" won't until they see both materialize.
Old 26th March 2006, 08:16 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

We'll see. Having seen the "damage" the script pros have done to the regular .com market, I believe they will have immensely more success than you're willing to credit them with, just as soon as they bother to try. They'll think nothing of throwing entire word lists and dictionaries through automated OT checkers, strip-mining major directories for more keywords, etc.