IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2008, 08:12 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm
GoDaddy Silences Police-Watchdog Site RateMyCop.com

Quote:
A new web service that lets users rate and comment on the uniformed police officers in their community is scrambling to restore service Tuesday, after hosting company GoDaddy unceremonious pulled-the-plug on the site in the wake of outrage from criticism-leery cops.

Visitors to RateMyCop.com on Tuesday were redirected to a GoDaddy page reading, "Oops!!!", which urged the site owner to contact GoDaddy to find out why the company pulled the plug.

RateMyCop founder Gino Sesto says he was given no notice of the suspension. When he called GoDaddy, the company told him that he'd been shut down for "suspicious activity."

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...y-silence.html

Old 12th March 2008, 08:49 PM

npcomplete is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: GoDaddy Silences Police-Watchdog Site RateMyCop.com

This is interesting. I think it may be a godaddy thing to avoid litigation. On my own site I routinely delete all last names of anybody that posts, whether it is their own last name or the name of somebody else. I do that for the reason above: litigation. You can always sue... you can't always win, but you can always sue, and defending a defamation suit is expensive... so I avoid the issue by avoiding *any* personally identifiable information. I occasionally wave the rules for famous individuals, since the defamation rules are more lax...

Here in the US it is common for web hosts and webmasters to take a paranoid approach to avoid litigation. As the economy tanks it may even get worse as people look to litigation as an alternate source of income.
Old 13th March 2008, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

The guy that owns godaddy is basically a fascist who hides under the bed whenever the Bushistas tell him the big scary Islamists are coming for him.
Old 13th March 2008, 02:22 AM
Banned

TonyP is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope,
he's just a gay guy with a bad taste in women. Just look at his women - spokepersons.
Old 13th March 2008, 02:40 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyP
Nope,
he's just a gay guy with a bad taste in women. Just look at his women - spokepersons.
You do know they're not women ... right?
Old 13th March 2008, 03:20 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

The US Supreme Court in Barrett vs Rosenthal:

We conclude that section 230 prohibits 'distributor' liability for Internet publications. We further hold that section 230(c)(1) immunizes individual 'users' of interactive computer services, and that no practical or principled distinction can be drawn between active and passive use. Accordingly, we reverse the Court of Appeal's judgment.

We acknowledge that recognizing broad immunity for defamatory republications on the Internet has some troubling consequences. Until Congress chooses to revise the settled law in this area, however, plaintiffs who contend they were defamed in an Internet posting may only seek recovery from the original source of the statement.

http://w2.eff.org/legal/cases/Barrett_v_Rosenthal/
Old 13th March 2008, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
The US Supreme Court in Barrett vs Rosenthal:

We conclude that section 230 prohibits 'distributor' liability for Internet publications. We further hold that section 230(c)(1) immunizes individual 'users' of interactive computer services, and that no practical or principled distinction can be drawn between active and passive use. Accordingly, we reverse the Court of Appeal's judgment.

We acknowledge that recognizing broad immunity for defamatory republications on the Internet has some troubling consequences. Until Congress chooses to revise the settled law in this area, however, plaintiffs who contend they were defamed in an Internet posting may only seek recovery from the original source of the statement.

http://w2.eff.org/legal/cases/Barrett_v_Rosenthal/
Thanks Blast! I wasn't aware of that ruling. The issue has been around for a long time. As a practical matter, I will continue to just eliminate personally identifiable information in most cases. A few months ago I had a reader request that I delete a post that they made in 1999 about their company, saying that it was now harming their business. I deleted it, but digging up old posts and code is a pain, and like I indicated above, people can always sue and cause problems, even if their suit will lose in court.

Thanks again though for the info.
Old 13th March 2008, 04:27 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

"Section 230 protects the ordinary people who use the Internet and email to pass on items of interest written by others, free from the fear of potentially ruinous lawsuits filed by those who don't like what was said about them," said ACLU Staff Attorney Ann Brick. "The vitality of the Internet would quickly dissipate if the posting of content written by others created liability. The impulse to self-censor would be unavoidable."

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete
Thanks Blast! I wasn't aware of that ruling.
As a matter of principle though, I don't like having anyone's personal info floating around on message boards either.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 13th March 2008 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 13th March 2008, 04:38 AM

Yeah, I read that in the link you posted. I guess I can be more relaxed in the future. There is something about people making threats that really does stifle speech.

The part about: "plaintiffs who contend they were defamed in an Internet posting may only seek recovery from the original source of the statement." would seem to imply that defamatory statements could make me subject to subpoena to identify "the original source of the statement".
Old 13th March 2008, 04:50 AM
Veteran

But they probably won't do so if it makes it a waste of time for them.....

This is why some people are now building in removal of IP numbers and other info in forum posting software, and not keeping such data in logs. So there is nothing to provide if asked. Nobody says you have to keep any records at all.

Embroidery Software Protection Coalition v. Ebert & Weaver

EFF filed a motion to block a brazen attempt to unmask the identities of anonymous members of an online discussion group for embroidery fans. The online group was created to share information about a long-running campaign to threaten purchasers of embroidery designs and software with copyright infringement lawsuits. The Embroidery Software Protection Coalition (ESPC), a purported coalition of embroidery pattern design companies, is behind the heavy-handed campaign. Last month, ESPC filed defamation claims against some members of the group and then issued a subpoena for detailed personal information about every single person who joined the discussion group—whether or not they had ever posted a single message.

In September, ESPC dropped its attempt to unmask the anonymous users.

http://w2.eff.org/legal/cases/ESPC_v_Ebert/

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 13th March 2008 at 04:58 AM..
Old 13th March 2008, 08:39 AM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Embroidery Software Protection Coalition

Never before has a more pretentiously named group of losers graced my eyes. Got anymore good ones?

Old 13th March 2008, 01:20 PM

websjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished road

intrigue in the world of embroidery.