View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2011, 02:25 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: New TLDs may face more GAC delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni View Post
At this point, wishful thinking, hence the closing of my post.

All I'm doing at this time is follow the signs as I have no insider knowledge.

After ICANN announced it's going ahead with introducing the new gtlds, it will have to show something in San Fran. It is my contention that the GAC will not budge on their position.

ICANN will either ignore GAC and be faced with countless lawsuits by the big corps down the line or give in to GAC completely.

No one goes into a negotiation meeting, willing to give up their position 100 percent.
A logical compromise [based on my limited knowledge of this issue] would be to further delay the part that annoys the GAC and the IP lawyers until a workable solution is in place, and continue with the only part that no-one has objected to so far, which is the existing tld idn aliasing.

This way both sides are happy, and ICANN can save face by presenting another success to the world all the while keeping their Platinum Sponsor somewhat satisfied.

Again, this is just a personal opinion.
This is just my personal opinion ....

I have never seen any evidence ICANN is interested in getting gTLD IDN.IDN to work in any particular timeframe. The 10-year renewal anniversary on our domains testifies to this.

ICANN has known about the potential (long) delays in the general gTLD expansion program for a long time.

So if ICANN wanted to separate the two processes in order to allow IDN gTLDs to be fast-tracked, they would have done so by now. And they haven't.

Never forget the country where nearly all this happens, and who is putting the most pressure on ICANN. It certainly ain't IDNers .................

I hope I am wrong and Bill Clinton (a) appears and (b) announces great things for us IDNers. I'm not holding my breath, particularly on the latter.