IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2008, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
The economy is strong

So sayeth the fearless leader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnnOOo6tRs8
Old 19th March 2008, 06:23 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: The economy is strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
So sayeth the fearless leader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnnOOo6tRs8
Well, lets hope for everyone's sake Ben has got it right, because if he has screwed it, then there is no way back from here!

So, Wall Street went up yesterday! But isn't the extension of credit to the Security Firms for the first time since 1929 effectively the Fed buying shares in the market by proxy?
Old 19th March 2008, 11:11 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well, lets hope for everyone's sake Ben has got it right, because if he has screwed it, then there is no way back from here!
So, Wall Street went up yesterday! But isn't the extension of credit to the Security Firms for the first time since 1929 effectively the Fed buying shares in the market by proxy?
You got that right. Lending money to the market is a scary thought in my book, since the check and balance in my opinion was the banks credit department making the determination of creditworthiness. I can tell you first hand that "credit" from banks to good business customers absolutely tight. That tells me they are not anticipating good sales and profits for repayment of those loans for the short term. Many of our local banks have ceased loaing money on "condos" all together, since they are lower priced than homes in many cases and that is a "polite" way of getting out of the lower end, more risky mortgage business.

And in the lastest twist for providing credit, local banks are now selling a system of provide working capitol by "factoring" accounts receivable. This is a new business as far as I know by banks, seems it was always done by 3rd party companies. Good money maker, they collect 1.25% for the initial "loan", then charge about 1% a month until paid. They basically are loaning you money secured by Accounts Receivables of reputable customers. Expensive credit vs. the old "prime plus 1%".
Old 19th March 2008, 12:24 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Not sure this topic could even be researched effectively at the moment, but my read is that the Fed is attempting to prop up both Wall Street and the Currency Markets. If this is the case, then this is a very dangerous strategy that will amost certainly end in disaster.

If you are a Securities Firm that can now effectively borrow against dodgy collateral in the same way that Banks can, does this not effectively mean you can speculate on shares using loans secured against more shares? If this is the case, it would seem that these firms can speculate in the market with the Fed taking all the downside risk, but obviously standing to make none of the upside profit. No bloody wonder Wall Street surged yesterday. And more ominously, this would appear to be the underlying intent.

The only problem is that the tax payer has to pick up the tab, and those are often the poor bastards that are already at the point of default on their mortgages. Brick and Mortar or a pack of cards. This enterprised seems doomed without even considering the impact that the monetary expansion is likely to have on inflation.

Interestingly, whilst Asia might have been taken in by this slight of hand, Europeans have exercised rather more caution. Perhaps, they have simply stopped listening to Moodies and the other Wall Street rating agencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
You got that right. Lending money to the market is a scary thought in my book, since the check and balance in my opinion was the banks credit department making the determination of creditworthiness. I can tell you first hand that "credit" from banks to good business customers absolutely tight. That tells me they are not anticipating good sales and profits for repayment of those loans for the short term. Many of our local banks have ceased loaing money on "condos" all together, since they are lower priced than homes in many cases and that is a "polite" way of getting out of the lower end, more risky mortgage business.

And in the lastest twist for providing credit, local banks are now selling a system of provide working capitol by "factoring" accounts receivable. This is a new business as far as I know by banks, seems it was always done by 3rd party companies. Good money maker, they collect 1.25% for the initial "loan", then charge about 1% a month until paid. They basically are loaning you money secured by Accounts Receivables of reputable customers. Expensive credit vs. the old "prime plus 1%".
Old 20th March 2008, 01:59 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Many of our local banks have ceased loaing money on "condos" all together, since they are lower priced than homes in many cases and that is a "polite" way of getting out of the lower end, more risky mortgage business.

Is SC situation like Florida?
Old 20th March 2008, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

SC would be one of the stronger economies, I think.

Or is it NC? I forget.

Here's a good read...

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/opin...r-bear-stearns

Last edited by Drewbert; 20th March 2008 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost