IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2008, 12:50 PM

lipps is an unknown quantity at this point
Wonderful News my domain request rejected

é.at
Tried to register this domain with the .at register. Used name.com
Punycodes etc correct...
Today I got a notice that the .at admins rejected the domain because a single character idn domain is not allowed.
No big deal not a really great domain anyway, but I hope that this could be a sign for the future. All those single character domains that were approved at other registers may someday also be disallowed. Hope that those of us who have a few might be grandfathered in and push their value up...
Old 19th March 2008, 01:22 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: Wonderful News my domain request rejected

This is a decision by the .at registry (not registrar). It has no particular bearing on what other registries (particularly Verisign) do. That cat is already out of the bag.
Old 19th March 2008, 01:23 PM

Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps
é.at
Tried to register this domain with the .at register. Used name.com
Punycodes etc correct...
Today I got a notice that the .at admins rejected the domain because a single character idn domain is not allowed.
No big deal not a really great domain anyway, but I hope that this could be a sign for the future. All those single character domains that were approved at other registers may someday also be disallowed. Hope that those of us who have a few might be grandfathered in and push their value up...

Well, cctlds have a lot of various silly rules.

For example, under dot fi you are not allowed to register a 2 char domain which is an ISO 3166 country code - example my.fi, us.fi, fi.fi, de.fi, etc... You also can not register pillu.fi (pussy in finnish), but you can register pussy.fi in english. Go figure... Also, Finnish people don't find it offensive to say "Fuck You" - it's quite humorous to them and they say it on radio commercials, etc.

Dot no (norway) is very strict as to what you can register - they definitely won't let you register fuck.no (which would be a good site for the opposition to use during elections, etc).

Old 19th March 2008, 01:30 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Also, the single character ASCII .coms that have been registered, have never been "taken back" by VeriSign. If you own single character IDN .coms, you don't have to worry about them being claimed back. Neither the IETF nor ICANN nor VeriSign have ever talked about doing so.