IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Parking and Affiliate Programs > NameDrive

NameDrive For discussion of NameDrive's parking program. NameDrive offers an IDN compatible parking program to monetize your domains via PPC.
Click here for NameDrive Signup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th March 2008, 08:00 AM

Ross is an unknown quantity at this point
namedrive slow as hell nowadays

Namedrive is constantly timing out, giving database restart messages, etc.

Same thing with dynadot, timing out constantly.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

Old 20th March 2008, 06:45 PM

khurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to khurtsiya
Re: namedrive slow as hell nowadays

Yes, I'm with namedrive...

Thoug they introduced payouts in WebMoney which is popular in Russia, Ukraine and other countries here... And they will launch russian language at namedrive.ru
Old 20th March 2008, 06:56 PM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Timeouts with ND yes... Dynadot...? No.
Old 20th March 2008, 07:04 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajiotaj
Yes, I'm with namedrive...

Thoug they introduced payouts in WebMoney which is popular in Russia, Ukraine and other countries here... And they will launch russian language at namedrive.ru
It already resolves!
Old 20th March 2008, 10:25 PM

Namedrive was obviously extremely fucked up for most of today. I am showing about half of the traffic I normally get.

Their website is database driven and it was timing out due to database errors all day long. If they can't keep their database functioning, then how the hell can they record visits and clicks?

I applied for a Sedo Pro account yesterday. If it gets approved, then I'm switching.

Old 21st March 2008, 12:53 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
Namedrive is constantly timing out, giving database restart messages, etc.

Same thing with dynadot, timing out constantly.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

ND Yes .. DD no ..

Dont bother applying for a sedo pro account .. just ask on DNF
Old 21st March 2008, 12:48 PM

NameDriver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to NameDriver

Hi MJ,

We had some connectivity problems yesterday, but I'm not sure what this means:

"Namedrive was obviously extremely fucked up for most of today. I am showing about half of the traffic I normally get."

Looking at your account, you had more traffic yesterday than any of the previous Thursdays in this entire year. We have a parking database and a homepage database and, as long as the parking database is logging the stats, we will always show these once any other problems are overcome.
Can I ask where you were getting database errors as our tech guys said we were not experiencing anything which lasted all day as you report. Was it on the homepage?

Thanks.

Ed
Old 21st March 2008, 01:37 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameDriver
Hi MJ,

We had some connectivity problems yesterday, but I'm not sure what this means:

"Namedrive was obviously extremely fucked up for most of today. I am showing about half of the traffic I normally get."

Looking at your account, you had more traffic yesterday than any of the previous Thursdays in this entire year. We have a parking database and a homepage database and, as long as the parking database is logging the stats, we will always show these once any other problems are overcome.
Can I ask where you were getting database errors as our tech guys said we were not experiencing anything which lasted all day as you report. Was it on the homepage?

Thanks.

Ed
Oh dear, has somebody been caught out misrepresenting their stats. :p
Old 21st March 2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Hi Ed,
Do you mean that your parking stats and configuration pages are served by a physically separate database server machine than the parking pages are? I only ask this because both of the databases are on the same machine, then it's very likely that when one of them is not functioning properly then neither is the other. Also, if you have these type of database problems with your stats pages database, then why wouldn't one logically assume that similar problems exist with the parking logging database? That is, when your customer facing operations are not functioning, then why should the customer feel confident that your back-office is functioning?

All throughout the day, until the time I made the post which you responded to, even a few hours after that, I experienced problems while attempting to view parking stats, add domains, reconfigure domain settings, etc. A few times, I got the error "database server restarting", a few times I got network timeouts where the page didn't load at all, a few times I could reach the www.namedrive.com homepage (extremely slow) but couldn't go to the www.namedrive.com/account page due to non-response and timeouts, a few more times when going into domain settings it timed out, on and on like this all day long.

By the end of the day, the traffic had appeared to even out, but was far lower than recent daily averages in certain areas.

While IDN traffic is ramping up now during this exciting time, I need constant, real-time access to my stats so that I can make portfolio management decisions, etc. I may not be a big fish yet, but I am constantly raising my portfolio's performance and I need the support systems which are in place to assist me to be rock-solid. I also don't like wondering if the front-end of your system is broken, then am I also losing money (is the back-end broken as well).

Are you running your operations with a MySQL database? Despite the hype and mindshare, you might not be aware that MySQL is not a real database, e.g. does not contain native support for foreign keys, transactions, cascaded operations, etc. It is certainly not a capable database platform for financial transaction systems. Postgres is a free alternative to Oracle, and it is rock-solid with full transaction and foreign key support. As you experience growth, this might be something worth paying very close attention to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Oh dear, has somebody been caught out misrepresenting their stats. :p

At the time I wrote that post, the traffic was half of what it had been by that time for most any day in the past month. No misrepresentation going on. I have nothing to gain or lose from telling you about my stats.

Last edited by Ross; 21st March 2008 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 21st March 2008, 02:13 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

May i suggest that nd cache their parking pages so that is reduces the stress on the database. refresh the cache once per hour. This is very easy to implement.

If you can do that, you greatly increase the capacity of your existing server.
Old 21st March 2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
May i suggest that nd cache their parking pages so that is reduces the stress on the database. refresh the cache once per hour. This is very easy to implement.

If you can do that, you greatly increase the capacity of your existing server.

A properly designed and configured database won't need to have it's load relieved with these sort of cheesy hacks.

BTW, here is the screen which I experienced many times over the past few days, yes it even continues right now (I just took this screenshot).

Last edited by Ross; 22nd March 2008 at 08:15 AM..
Old 22nd March 2008, 09:25 AM

Hi Ross,

Thanks for the screenshot. Please can you let me know exactly what steps you are taking to trigger this error? I haven't been able to duplicate it on your account and I'd like to get it fixed for you as it is not a widespread problem on our system.

Thanks.

Ed
Old 22nd March 2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Hi Ross,

Thanks for the screenshot. Please can you let me know exactly what steps you are taking to trigger this error? I haven't been able to duplicate it on your account and I'd like to get it fixed for you as it is not a widespread problem on our system.

Thanks.

Ed

Hi,
Inside of portfolio stats, while doing various operations e.g. changing from today to yesterday and click display or trying to open one of my folders. No, it doesn't happen every time, but it has happened frequently over the past few days.

But the thing to realize here is that a database connection error has nothing to do with any individual account - it's a problem between your website and your database. That is to say, I an not connecting directly to your database. Perhaps if you have some logging for your web script or database server, you can find why this is happening.

I guess nobody else here is interested in this technical support conversation, so just email me if you want to continue it and I will be happy to cooperate.

Old 22nd March 2008, 12:35 PM

Hi MJ,

Thanks for the screenshot. It was a bug in the script which has now been fixed. Please feel free to mail me if you have any other issues.

Ed