IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

View Poll Results: This forum is going where?
up 18 42.86%
down 24 57.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 21st March 2008, 03:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 342
iTrader: (6)
Rep Power: 605
lipps is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: This forum is going .... where?

I personally cant dis the admin for not having time to keep up with the amount of work that it takes to keep the forum going. We all have lives to deal with.
I do see that at this point traffic is good and there is potential in this forum. Like idns though it is still speculative.
Honestly most of the exceptional idns are really gone. There are still some very good domains available, luckilly I at least got 1 or 2 out of the may failures I have, and I have to thank this forum for that.
As such perhaps he is waiting to see how the idn situation pans out.
Seems though that a person would tie in some paid ads (no he said that) to bring in more revenue to support the forum. Thinking that if it was shown that this could be a revenue generating domain, the admin might want to put in more time.
I dont know. I havent been around since the start so all I can do is go by what I see.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 21st March 2008, 03:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: US
Posts: 372
iTrader: (2)
Rep Power: 654
Ross is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: This forum is going .... where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well in our case, whilst we have done a great deal to try to achieve #2, number #1 is undoubtedly true. The questions is: Why the hell should we care when the "others" won't co-operate with any of the initiatives that have been take to move things forward?
As the domainguru said before, domaining is not really a group sport. Despite that truth, most people here do seem to have at least a modicum of respect and sense of camaraderie for their fellow man. I've met several pretty decent friends since I began frequenting this forum, and for that I'm happy.

In any case, while you may feel that you hold more gold than anyone else here, the simple truth is that none of the rest of us really care. Why not? Well, simply put, if the value of your portfolio doesn't increase the value of mine, then why should it matter to me? You are no different than any of the rest of us with the exception that you are occasionally grumpier than the rest of us.

.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 21st March 2008, 04:08 PM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4628
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: This forum is going .... where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
As the domainguru said before, domaining is not really a group sport. Despite that truth, most people here do seem to have at least a modicum of respect and sense of camaraderie for their fellow man. I've met several pretty decent friends since I began frequenting this forum, and for that I'm happy.

In any case, while you may feel that you hold more gold than anyone else here, the simple truth is that none of the rest of us really care. Why not? Well, simply put, if the value of your portfolio doesn't increase the value of mine, then why should it matter to me? You are no different than any of the rest of us with the exception that you are occasionally grumpier than the rest of us.

.
Well, if domain valuations is where you get off, then you need an effective secondary market. That cannot possibly occur here, where most people have more than one identity whether it is their intention to defraud, irritate or just maintain the ability to communicate. Personally, I thought for a very long time promoting a secondary market was an important objective. I have now concluded that is a complete and utter waste of time in the current environment. That does not, however, mean that I would not appreciate the benefit of an active forum, free from the general anarchy that most of the Wannabee Domainers usually stir up. It doesn't mean that I would not appreciate a spam free environment. It doesn't mean that I would not like to see the formation of a community that extends beyond a few dozen serious domain, and several hundred complete misfits.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 21st March 2008, 04:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: US
Posts: 372
iTrader: (2)
Rep Power: 654
Ross is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: This forum is going .... where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well, if domain valuations is where you get off, then you need an effective secondary market. That cannot possibly occur here, where most people have more than one identity whether it is their intention to defraud, irritate or just maintain the ability to communicate. Personally, I thought for a very long time promoting a secondary market was an important objective. I have now concluded that is a complete and utter waste of time in the current environment. That does not, however, mean that I would not appreciate the benefit of an active forum, free from the general anarchy that most of the Wannabee Domainers usually stir up. It doesn't mean that I would not appreciate a spam free environment. It doesn't mean that I would not like to see the formation of a community that extends beyond a few dozen serious domain, and several hundred complete misfits.
I could do without the spam, anarchy, and multiple personalities as well. I'm sorry that I need to use a second account now.

I think that you will find that if you reproduced this site at dnlocal.com, most folks would follow over.

And I already made my peace with Jose, if you knew it or not.

.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 21st March 2008, 04:48 PM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4628
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: This forum is going .... where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
I could do without the spam, anarchy, and multiple personalities as well. I'm sorry that I need to use a second account now.

I think that you will find that if you reproduced this site at dnlocal.com, most folks would follow over.

And I already made my peace with Jose, if you knew it or not.

.
Glad to hear that you and Jose have patched things up.

I understand your reasons for needing a second account, but it does underline how difficult it is to operate at IDNFs.

At DNLocal.com, we can assure you that multiple accounts will be neither required or tolerated.

I am also prepared to assure everyone that I will try to ensure that nobody gets banned for expressing opinions, however, crass or contraversial as long as those opinion do not represent unacceptable vendettas against individual or groups or the forum itself. I guess personally, I will have to expect the occassional pot shot. :p

Mulligan will of course continue to insist on the highest standard of behaviour in relation to business dealings and I will support him in that.

We may consider going vBulletin at some stage but it seems a bit premature at the moment. Jose is reasonably confident that he could migrate the forum, but in any event that will not happen until we have a solid constituency there that warrants that kind of input. We shall also not be moving to current version of vBulletin, as the next is in the pipeline. Even then some evaluation is going to be need. What we cannot and will not do is clone IDNFs.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2008, 01:00 AM
Wot's Avatar
Wot Wot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,605
iTrader: (30)
Rep Power: 1789
Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
Re: This forum is going .... where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
So basically, you haven't got a clue how this forum could ever be re-established as a viable entity?

Anybody else like to step in and take the Wall Flower's place?

My god! - you are so intuitive. - but which am I ? And I do not need to provide any answers when you are obviously full of them.

"One who does not participate in the activity at a social event because of shyness or unpopularity."


Happy easter.
__________________
红旗.com
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2008, 02:11 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,091
iTrader: (60)
Rep Power: 2432
bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: This forum is going .... where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
We may consider going vBulletin at some stage but it seems a bit premature at the moment.
It is not premature...it is a year overdue. I have written you Jose and Mulligan that your entire forum "holdback"
is your simple machines template. It may "work" for some, but I have to tell you it just doesn't cut it for most.

This same view has been expressed by a half dozen others...many have even offered to chip in for the vbulletin. You have
ignored all input and offers...and since you own the forum you can do whatever you wish. I just think you would be
amazed at the results if you would take the advice of your customers.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2008, 02:22 AM
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: On the Road
Posts: 2,276
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1338
thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
Re: This forum is going .... where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
It is not premature...it is a year overdue. I have written you Jose and Mulligan that your entire forum "holdback"
is your simple machines template. It may "work" for some, but I have to tell you it just doesn't cut it for most.

This same view has been expressed by a half dozen others...many have even offered to chip in for the vbulletin. You have
ignored all input and offers...and since you own the forum you can do whatever you wish. I just think you would be
amazed at the results if you would take the advice of your customers.
Wholeheartedly agree! DNL is missing a golden opportunity.
__________________
IDN? What's an IDN?

Last edited by thefabfive; 22nd March 2008 at 02:33 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2008, 05:07 AM
mgrohan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,206
iTrader: (25)
Rep Power: 1548
mgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enoughmgrohan will become famous soon enough
Re: This forum is going .... where?

Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree! DNL is missing a golden opportunity.
I agree. So much bitching in this forum about how IDNF is more widely used while having all the problems that it does.

If DNL was serious about becoming the leading IDN forum, i think it should have switched to VB a long time ago (which is a much better platform SMF). Switching over and a bit of SEO magic and i'm sure IDNF would be quickly replaced.

Waiting for the next version of VB is pretty stupid, remember waiting for ever for the release of phpbb. The current version will be pretty simple to update to any future VB versions.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2008, 07:26 AM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4628
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: This forum is going .... where?

It might be different if we had "Customers".

There is absolutely no commercial incentive at the moment.

There isn't even a quantifiable after-market here.

As for customer satisfaction. Craig has done fuck all for two years and everyone thinks he is the bees knees.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2008, 10:29 AM
rkae's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 84
iTrader: (3)
Rep Power: 567
rkae is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rkae Send a message via Skype™ to rkae
Re: This forum is going .... where?

I agree that vbulletin is needed.
It won't be a shame if dnlocal switches to vbulletin - it's just what people want.
__________________
For offers karner.david4@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2008, 10:37 AM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4628
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: This forum is going .... where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkae
I agree that vbulletin is needed.
It won't be a shame if dnlocal switches to vbulletin - it's just what people want.
May be, but I through chasing after what people that don't get involved and don't seem to put any value on IDNs really want.

Who I am prepared to listen is people actively buying and selling domains of some quality. At the moment those of us who have been involved in that way are quite capable of email each other when the need arises.

As for this forum, I think I can make an intelligent guess that Olney doesn't mysteriously turn up here, but one or two people have actually been evaluating the viability of hacking the forum. Good job Sci-Fi isn't that bright! :p
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2008, 11:18 AM
Wot's Avatar
Wot Wot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,605
iTrader: (30)
Rep Power: 1789
Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough
Re: This forum is going .... where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
May be, but I through chasing after what people that don't get involved and don't seem to put any value on IDNs really want.

Who I am prepared to listen is people actively buying and selling domains of some quality. At the moment those of us who have been involved in that way are quite capable of email each other when the need arises.

As for this forum, I think I can make an intelligent guess that Olney doesn't mysteriously turn up here, but one or two people have actually been evaluating the viability of hacking the forum. Good job Sci-Fi isn't that bright! :p
Bought quite a lot of good quality ( my opinion and that of the sellers) IDN recently.

So here is some input -Putting the thought of hacking in to the heads of the foolhardy - isn't that tantamount to incitement - nah ,perish the thought ?
__________________
红旗.com
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2008, 11:40 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8,091
iTrader: (60)
Rep Power: 2432
bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: This forum is going .... where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
It might be different if we had "Customers".
You have a pretty good handful of exclusives...gee being one not to mention the kid that lives in the chatroom 24/7.
Mostly a good amount of the same "customers" that visit here, NP, DNF etc. that are interested in IDNs. They just
don't post there much because of the 3rd class SMF template. JMO.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2008, 11:51 AM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4628
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: This forum is going .... where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
You have a pretty good handful of exclusives...gee being one not to mention the kid that lives in the chatroom 24/7.
Mostly a good amount of the same "customers" that visit here, NP, DNF etc. that are interested in IDNs. They just
don't post there much because of the 3rd class SMF template. JMO.
Well I am sorry but if you think the Unicode at DNF that interspersed with Asterix is any better then I have to say I disagree.

Beside DNF is has thousands of paying members. We have a handful of people that want everything for nothing and then still opt to hang-out somewhere else.

From my point of view, whilst IDNFs is still chugging along at the top of the SEO ratings there is little if no point investing time and money, both of which are in short supply.

Thank Craig for the mess. He is the one that has left you all in limbo, not me. I never wanted to get involved in the first place. I had my arm put my back by a gang of people that have long since abandoned the project. And then only because Craig would not cooperate with anything!

The bottom line is that if things turn up then we will look at things again. In the meantime you are all welcome to go and hang-out at Dabsis.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2008, 04:06 PM
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: On the Road
Posts: 2,276
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1338
thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
Re: This forum is going .... where?

So... you berate Craig for his lack of attention to the forum yet you could give a crap about how your customers feel about your forum. Great way to get people's attention.

As far as sale and an aftermarket, you're selling to the wrong people. Domainers are not going to pay the prices that you want. But really, is that the aftermarket you're looking for? Where we all trade amongst ourselves? Like some of the speculated ASCII markets at the moment, where domainers created the market and domainers are sustaining the market?

Steve / Jose - dump RD and get DNL going the way it should.
__________________
IDN? What's an IDN?
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2008, 04:14 PM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4628
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: This forum is going .... where?

I am only looking for the kinds of realistic prices that I do get from quality domainers.

These are not End User prices we are looking at. We are talking about highly discounted prices that take due account of the unproven nature of the revenue streams and the associated risks.

End users will not come on board before traffic comes on stream. We will not be chasing end-users. That is just not the way things are done.

What is actually happening here, is that a few decent domains are being sold on to accommodate the hiatus in cash-flow that is being caused by endless delays by both ICANN and Microsoft. These opportunities are likely to disappear like the morning mist.

What you should also try to bear in mind is that for most non-American domainers, renewal prices are rapidly getting a heck of a lot cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
So... you berate Craig for his lack of attention to the forum yet you could give a crap about how your customers feel about your forum. Great way to get people's attention.

As far as sale and an aftermarket, you're selling to the wrong people. Domainers are not going to pay the prices that you want. But really, is that the aftermarket you're looking for? Where we all trade amongst ourselves? Like some of the speculated ASCII markets at the moment, where domainers created the market and domainers are sustaining the market?

Steve / Jose - dump RD and get DNL going the way it should.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2008, 06:25 PM
mdw's Avatar
mdw mdw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: upstairs
Posts: 838
iTrader: (24)
Rep Power: 690
mdw is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: This forum is going .... where?

Ppeople continue on this forum instead of mass jumping ship and it has very little to do with simple machines being a weaker platform, that's just a convenient copout. RD, I think it has more to do with your continual insulting of the people here, and deriding all those you feel aren't worthy somehow.

Also I think it really puts people off to have you always venting your anger that the IDN community here isn't doing what you think we should. Who gives a crap what you think we should be buying or selling? A little less attitude would go a long way.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2008, 06:32 PM
Rubber Duck's Avatar
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Posts: 15,929
iTrader: (59)
Rep Power: 4628
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: This forum is going .... where?

Well, that might be closer to the truth in many cases.

Of course, it might also be true that we will be less than exited to see some of the members here over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw
Ppeople continue on this forum instead of mass jumping ship and it has very little to do with simple machines being a weaker platform, that's just a convenient copout. RD, I think it has more to do with your continual insulting of the people here, and deriding all those you feel aren't worthy somehow.

Also I think it really puts people off to have you always venting your anger that the IDN community here isn't doing what you think we should. Who gives a crap what you think we should be buying or selling? A little less attitude would go a long way.
__________________
All offers to sell are void.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 22nd March 2008, 06:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 342
iTrader: (6)
Rep Power: 605
lipps is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: This forum is going .... where?

It is the wealth of information that I come to the forum for not the format.
If I needed to have my car fixed, it wouldnt matter where I went if I knew that the mechanic that was doing the job was the best.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:18 PM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58