IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st March 2008, 02:20 PM

lipps is an unknown quantity at this point
The next rounds .tv or .biz

Given the choice for premium idn words, would you rather have the .tv or .biz
Thinking Japan China and Arabic
Old 21st March 2008, 02:34 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni
Re: The next rounds .tv or .biz

I would say .tv, if you have to have them. But I would stick with terms that match the "television" theme.

Just follow the ascii pattern of extention popularity basically. Dot tv has some action, dot biz is pretty much a dead duck - as far as resale is concerned.

Also, in some countries, dot tv is well known, especially in the adult side of things.
Old 21st March 2008, 03:03 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
... especially in the adult side of things...
Dirty, dirty little man .. :p

In answer to you question lipps .. I have some top level Japanese .biz, like credit card, fashion, diet etc but type in is nothing to shout about .. they may have just about paid for themselves .. I havent checked .. .tv is a similar story .. doubt they have paid for themselves though .. good for development .. bad for parking .. thats my take on it anyway ..
Old 21st March 2008, 03:18 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Focus on what ICANN are doing and what Google and Yahoo will do as a consequence.

ICANN are about to flood the market with hundreds of extension, albeit we are let to hope that they will not be confusingly similar.

This is God given opportunity for the Development Spammers to choke the internet with junk sites. Google must and will start giving weight to extensions. GTLDs and market relevant ccTLDs are going to be given a lot more weight than just about anything else.

I would think that Google will start to weight by Extension Traffic Volume in the relevant markets. Dot Com will be King on Google.com and very strong in just about every other situation. Local ccTLDs are going to fair very well on local version of Google. Dot TV will be very strong in Tuvalu. Dot Biz is likely to suffer just because it has no momentum to speak of in terms of traffic.

There more extension there are the more worthless most of them are going to be. That is just a simple matter of supply and demand. The more consumer confusion there is, the more companies are going to stick like glue to dot Com.
Old 21st March 2008, 03:42 PM

Ok then in honor of all the great help, and a dirty little man...
I put my order in for

まんこ

.TV

Figure i cant go too wrong on this one everyone needs a little every now and then

Last edited by lipps; 21st March 2008 at 03:50 PM..
Old 21st March 2008, 04:47 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Doesn't it just flow well?
Now put a nice utube clone script on it and let her rip. (pun not intended)

P.S. Steve is just jealous, 's all.
Old 21st March 2008, 04:55 PM

Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I would think that Google will start to weight by Extension Traffic Volume in the relevant markets. Dot Com will be King on Google.com and very strong in just about every other situation. Local ccTLDs are going to fair very well on local version of Google. Dot TV will be very strong in Tuvalu. Dot Biz is likely to suffer just because it has no momentum to speak of in terms of traffic.

After studying this quite extensively, I have evidence that gTLD extensions are not blindly sank down in the SERPs on Google.ccTLD sites.

Without going into too much detail, I will tell you this:

Each Google ccTLD management team does the extension weighting themselves, representing the general extension interests of said country. Some countries don't give a damned about anything except their ccTLD, while others are very different.

Old 21st March 2008, 05:06 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

I think I have ever owned only 1 .biz.
As an extension I basically hate it and everything about it.

I must admit that I do like that .tv extension - its just a pity the price is so high compared to the other extensions.

Alex

Old 21st March 2008, 06:03 PM

Starting to agree that the .biz might not be the best for the idns
I have several really good names in .biz and the traffic is crap.

I hate to let them drop because they are such viable keywords. Take サーチ.biz (Search) .biz Not getting much traffic on that one so I havent created a website. One would think it would get loads. "email" in japan language in the dot biz is not even getting the traffic it should.

Guess for .biz its going to be more of development and seo to get them known. I really dont love the idea of making 100 mini pages
Old 21st March 2008, 06:40 PM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps
Starting to agree that the .biz might not be the best for the idns
I have several really good names in .biz and the traffic is crap.

I hate to let them drop because they are such viable keywords. Take サーチ.biz (Search) .biz Not getting much traffic on that one so I havent created a website. One would think it would get loads. "email" in japan language in the dot biz is not even getting the traffic it should.

Guess for .biz its going to be more of development and seo to get them known. I really dont love the idea of making 100 mini pages
I wouldn't judge them based on current traffic
Old 22nd March 2008, 01:07 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Should have mentioned .. I will be keeping all my .biz for at least the next 5 years
Old 22nd March 2008, 02:45 AM

Mulligan I think that might be a good idea.
Looking over some of the JP domain registers located in the country I see that they are pushing the coms nets jps biz and ins. Just a matter of time till what is available will be filled.
Old 22nd March 2008, 07:38 AM

One notable point .. Native Japanese snapped up a lot of .biz .. whether this is due to them being 'late to the game' or not I don't know
Old 22nd March 2008, 01:35 PM

Here is an intresting link with up to date totals on domains with loss and gains by country
http://www.webhosting.info/registries/