IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2006, 02:35 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
What's a good number of registrations?

I'm trying to think of what's a good amount of domains to keep in my IDN investment bank. I know I should start to buy Chinese Domains also but getting good Japanese IDN Domains is just too easy.

But my question is what's a good number of domains to have?
Since I started when there was little competition of course I had an advantage but what's a good number from one language to keep?

Edwins gone up to about 1400 or probably 1500 on just Japanese domains.

There's still about 30 or so that I'd think was potentially good in various extensions
mainly dot coms & dot jp.
I think I'm up to 280 registrations total & probably keep hoping that you guys register things I want before me but it doesn't seem like that's going to occur. (No I won't sell a list or give hints PMs will be ignored).

So I'm thinking should I stop at 300, 350, or 400?
I also can't tell you guys everything I know but the markets going to get better real soon. Opinions???

If this was regular domains & you had the stuff I owned or we own what would be a good number to be satisfied with.
Old 27th March 2006, 02:58 PM

John W is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What's a good number of registrations?

Quote:
I also can't tell you guys everything I know but the markets going to get better real soon.
Okay, ya can't drop a statement like that without further comment, a hint at least if you know something other people don't.
Old 27th March 2006, 03:09 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W
Okay, ya can't drop a statement like that without further comment, a hint at least if you know something other people don't.
Actually, its his forum. He can do what he likes!
Old 27th March 2006, 03:14 PM

OldIDNer is an unknown quantity at this point

I would aim for quality over quantity. If they are great names, and you can afford them, reg em. I'd also spread the investment out over a few languages if possible.

Last edited by OldIDNer; 27th March 2006 at 03:34 PM..
Old 27th March 2006, 03:15 PM

John W is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, he can, but suuuuuuurely he'll be a great guy and drop at least a teensy weensy bit more of hint as to the category of his knowledge.

I'm guessing perhaps he has wind of a significant transaction in the works. Or maybe it has to do with a "political" development. Or maybe there's something going on that will result in wider public knowledge of the IDN market...

Sigh... well, I guess I'll find out soon anyway.
Old 27th March 2006, 03:21 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W
OK, he can, but suuuuuuurely he'll be a great guy and drop at least a teensy weensy bit more of hint as to the category of his knowledge.

I'm guessing perhaps he has wind of a significant transaction in the works. Or maybe it has to do with a "political" development. Or maybe there's something going on that will result in wider public knowledge of the IDN market...

Sigh... well, I guess I'll find out soon anyway.
I am sure if he is holding out on us, it will be for a good reason.

You may assume that it is strictly related to the Japanese IDN market.

I guess it is not political as I don't believe he has an inside track there.

It is almost certainly related to his own activities or his own portfolio, which is why the information is sensitive.

My experience of Olney is that he is definitely not a Talk Talk, he won't go public until he has something concrete to say. If he is even hinting at something big happening, then I if you are sitting on any Japanese lists then I would get them regged!
Old 27th March 2006, 03:26 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
But my question is what's a good number of domains to have?
I think you know, Olney, that there is no magic number - it could be 25, if you've got the "right" domains. But I think the answer *could be* when you can't add a significant percentage of value to what you already have. However, as long as you can easily afford the investment, there is no reason to stop if you can pick up domains that you could sell for a "good multiple" of your original investment (which may not be an easy thing to know). As a comparison, the best rate I could find on a banking money market account is about 4.25 percent!
Old 27th March 2006, 03:40 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

One way to think about it is to keep adding domains until the expected revenue per year from an additional domain falls below the expected reg fee. Since holding and parking a domain name costs a reg fee, that's how the big boys with "power scripts" will evaluate domains.
Old 27th March 2006, 06:12 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Post Re: What's a good number of registrations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
...., that's how the big boys with "power scripts" will evaluate domains.
A little of topic, but I'm sure I read somewhere that some of the big boys and their scripts are taking advantage of certain registrars "honeymoon period", where they will allow a refund on a domain after x many days - almost like a "I changed my mind".

What I read was something along the lines of these script that register automatically 2 or 3 words combo's, and then monitor the traffic. If the calculation works out that the traffic won't at least pay for the reg fee, then it is "refunded" back to the registrar. I'm sure I read that this was happening in the ascii .com world - it'll certainly give edwin some competition if it migrates over to IDN land :p
Old 27th March 2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
A little of topic, but I'm sure I read somewhere that some of the big boys and their scripts are taking advantage of certain registrars "honeymoon period", where they will allow a refund on a domain after x many days - almost like a "I changed my mind".

What I read was something along the lines of these script that register automatically 2 or 3 words combo's, and then monitor the traffic. If the calculation works out that the traffic won't at least pay for the reg fee, then it is "refunded" back to the registrar. I'm sure I read that this was happening in the ascii .com world - it'll certainly give edwin some competition if it migrates over to IDN land :p
This will be probably the next logical step, but we are a few years away from that, I think. It's still possible to reg a nice one-word generic IDN.com doing old-fashioned research.
Old 27th March 2006, 10:42 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

That's only the tippiest tip of the scripting iceberg. Once the big boys turn their full programming firepower to IDNs it's over pretty much the same day. There won't be any decent one or even two-worders left, most likely. Sure they'll make mistakes (just like the rest of us) but they can easily afford even a high "problem" rate, and their scripts won't miss anything of any value.

Besides, the larger players can also afford professional native language checking as the final step before registering a list of domains (if they really wanted to go that way) to eliminate mistakes, blatant TMs etc.
Old 27th March 2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
That's only the tippiest tip of the scripting iceberg. Once the big boys turn their full programming firepower to IDNs it's over pretty much the same day. There won't be any decent one or even two-worders left, most likely. Sure they'll make mistakes (just like the rest of us) but they can easily afford even a high "problem" rate, and their scripts won't miss anything of any value.

Besides, the larger players can also afford professional native language checking as the final step before registering a list of domains (if they really wanted to go that way) to eliminate mistakes, blatant TMs etc.
Well, by that time we'll be very well taken care off, so I don't mind :-)
Old 27th March 2006, 11:42 PM
A.W.O.L

Yeah they are still way off
Japanese online dictionaries don't include
Common Slang
Lots of katakana terms
More important technology terms.

Plus the big thing is have you noticed why they can't make a spellcheck in Japanese?

If they are pulling from the US made Japanese dictionaries I can certainly rest & take my time to register terms.

As some of you might have noticed there are certain terms in Japanese where overture combines the results if something is spelled two different ways commonly. I found plenty of terms that when I search for in hiragana gives me the results in kanji or katakana.

Their task is not so easy Edwin. I can see them snatching drops. I can't see them getting all the good searched terms unless they are getting the terms directly from Google, Yahoo, or MSN themselves.

but back to topic.

Maybe I'll go through and register all the terms in one final swoop before calling it quits.
Old 27th March 2006, 11:45 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

All you have to do is spider a few hundred sites and suddenly your keyword lists have multiplied like crazy. And there are dozens of other tricks they can use to perfect the lists. IF they go for it, they won't be relying on dictionaries alone, that's for certain.
Old 27th March 2006, 11:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
All you have to do is spider a few hundred sites and suddenly your keyword lists have multiplied like crazy. And there are dozens of other tricks they can use to perfect the lists. IF they go for it, they won't be relying on dictionaries alone, that's for certain.
Understanding a language is not essential. I believe that I am living proof of that.

You can get some very good names with a few simple trick that can easily be incorporated into a script if you know what you are doing. I am sure they will come up with far more sophisticated methods that most of us, and they will very definitely play the percentages game.

Squeezing the pips won't happen until the traffic is there, but it won't be long before huge combined harvesters are marching across the steppes of Asia bundling up everything in site!

Don't forget the US players are unlikely to get a clear run at things anyway. Most of these places have sufficient home grown talent there to do the job!
Old 28th March 2006, 12:01 AM
A.W.O.L

But there's no space in something like Japanese. That's the main reason why they haven't invented a spellcheck yet. I think with time they can accomplish alot but their existing programmers are usually not international savvy. Even the big boys usually have problems with going from Roman based language to Japanese, Chinese. I won't underestimate them but it's not an overnight task.

I'll get everything I want in Japanese before them...

After I get the last batch I'll put them up forr appraisal to let you guys know which areas you missed.

Last edited by Olney; 28th March 2006 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 28th March 2006, 12:14 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

The difference is that we are line-fishing while they will be using drift-nets when they come. The whole ballgame is over in less than a year after they break into a given language market judging by the ascii example. It can't happen till the traffic is in place though, and each language poses some issues which are not non-trivial. We sill have some time.
Old 28th March 2006, 12:15 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
But there's no space in something like Japanese. That's the main reason why they haven't invented a spellcheck yet. I think with time they can accomplish alot but their existing programmers are usually not international savvy. Even the big boys usually have problems with going from Roman based language to Japanese, Chinese. I won't underestimate them but it's not an overnight task.

I'll get everything I want in Japanese before them...
If Babel Fish can figure out where the spaces go, it really isn't that much of a problem! When I first looked at Japanese I could not find anything to do the translations for me. Now everyone's at it.

It is difficult to believe that much of our Japanese was picked up on the basis Google Scores on the assumption it was Chinese. At that time we really didn't have much of grip on the differences between Simplified, Traditional and Japanese. There was no Overture for Unicode at that time and basically everything had to be worked out from scratch. Frankly, it was a real piece of lateral thinking from someone who had no reason to install Chinese Character fonts in the first place.

The point is we went in nearly blind, played the percentages and won. We had very little experience of domaining, and certainly are not IT specialists. I am sure that some of the slicker outfits with make a much more efficient job of hoovering up than we ever could. The only thing we had going for us really was that nobody else was on the pitch, otherwise we would have been hammered out of sight!
Old 28th March 2006, 12:59 AM

Keyword lists, directory categories, product lists, blog tags etc. Again, dozens of ways to find the spaces. Or at the brutest-of-brute-force end, you could simply chunk a sentence up pseudorandomly, feed it through various tools and see what dropped out.

The pattern has repeated itself, first in .com then in other extensions and even in popular cctlds like .co.uk - once the scripters come in that's the market sewn up, apart from very minor scraps. I am talking strictly in terms of regging unregged names, i.e. getting goodies at reg fee, of course.