IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th March 2008, 06:32 AM

markits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enoughmarkits will become famous soon enough
Your Japanese minisite performance?

I only have one minisite that is still up. Starting from this month, it's traffic and revenue increased 10+ times. Is this common for all minisites?

Thanks.
Old 25th March 2008, 07:04 AM

websjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished roadwebsjapan is on a distinguished road
Re: Your Japanese minisite performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markits
I only have one minisite that is still up. Starting from this month, it's traffic and revenue increased 10+ times. Is this common for all minisites?

Thanks.
Yeah - seeing some nice traffic one one of my financial sites, and a few clicks now and then - the rest are starting to rise a bit as well
Old 25th March 2008, 07:43 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Probably just type-in. Ignore it. :p
Old 25th March 2008, 10:33 AM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road

edit

Last edited by Ryu; 25th March 2008 at 12:29 PM..
Old 25th March 2008, 12:21 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Income is up a bit and has been climbing for the last few days or so .. maybe yahoo is letting us climb up the ranks again?.. haven't bothered to check though
Old 25th March 2008, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

That would be nice.

Now all I have to do is figure out what to do with these gift certs amazon.jp keeps sending me.
Old 26th March 2008, 01:54 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

No, nothing special here the sites are still generally on life-support compared to last year.
Old 26th March 2008, 06:36 AM

Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Japanese minisites - I only have one 4-pager now, and it's on like page 49 even though it's a single word.

Parking, on the other hand, has taken off recently, despite the occasional problems with ND. I got more clicks yesterday than ever before, and it looks like last month's revenue will be doubled by the 28th of this month.

Old 26th March 2008, 07:40 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
Japanese minisites - I only have one 4-pager now, and it's on like page 49 even though it's a single word.

Parking, on the other hand, has taken off recently, despite the occasional problems with ND. I got more clicks yesterday than ever before, and it looks like last month's revenue will be doubled by the 28th of this month.

Yep, pulling the plug on development is another call the Duck got right, I believe!
Old 26th March 2008, 07:56 AM

Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Yep, pulling the plug on development is another call the Duck got right, I believe!

Well, the only thing that matters to me is that my portfolio turns a profit. 90% of my parked domains don't get type-in (yet). The 10% which do will currently cover about 30% of my total renewal fees, I estimate. Therefore, development of some sites is still a requirement.

I actually planned to develop all of my domains... But putting up with Google's bullshit rules has become a serious burden - if you want to use adsense, then you need to effectively become a google employee without the perks of being a real employee. Constantly changing rules which require re-implementation or writing policies, etc, is their way of making the business model of minisites financially unfeasible for domainers. And believe me, that is their goal. They only want people who run one or two large sites, not tens or more.

Old 26th March 2008, 08:54 AM
Veteran

Yes, in other words, they want Bona Fide sites and not Junk.

Why is that a surprise to anyone? :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
Well, the only thing that matters to me is that my portfolio turns a profit. 90% of my parked domains don't get type-in (yet). The 10% which do will currently cover about 30% of my total renewal fees, I estimate. Therefore, development of some sites is still a requirement.

I actually planned to develop all of my domains... But putting up with Google's bullshit rules has become a serious burden - if you want to use adsense, then you need to effectively become a google employee without the perks of being a real employee. Constantly changing rules which require re-implementation or writing policies, etc, is their way of making the business model of minisites financially unfeasible for domainers. And believe me, that is their goal. They only want people who run one or two large sites, not tens or more.

Old 26th March 2008, 02:42 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

I have a few sites with 200 or so pages .. hardly junk! .. still got booted down the rankings with the rest though.
Old 26th March 2008, 03:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan
I have a few sites with 200 or so pages .. hardly junk! .. still got booted down the rankings with the rest though.
Sounds like some big corporate clients have put a spanner in the works, but it could only be temporary. A lot of somebodies are clearly fully aware of the SEO potential of IDN. Of course it is very hard for the large corporates to jump ship without browser support, so all they can do at present is to get Yahoo to suppress IDN for the time being. Things could go full circle on this.
Old 26th March 2008, 03:52 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
I have three Japanese minis that are paying for themselves a few times over. Prior to "development" they were trafficless.

My only fully developed Greek site is earning 3 times my ND earnings with 800+ parked domains.
Traffic was almost nil prior to development.

I suppose I should chuck these and wait for the traffic explosion which is due any day now.
Old 26th March 2008, 05:31 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

With regards to developed Greek sites as mentioned by Yanni, I have a couple of them which I knocked up a few years ago, and they are definately earning me much more than they would if parked.

For me, what would be best is to start developing several other of my domains, as there are some that are getting quite a bit of traffic at Namedrive, yet are earning jackshit.

I just wish there were more hours in the day, so I can actually get this done - rather than thinking about getting this done.

Alex

Old 26th March 2008, 05:51 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Google is even tougher, especially for english content. Seems taht the only way to rank is to use an old name with plenty of backlinks, e.g. 5 years old. Or another way, i've seen people do it is to buy domains with good pr and link back.

That's why alternative extensions is losing value, domains no longer get a lot of SE preferential rank based on keywords. We're going back to the 90s when domains are sold on branding -> dot com.

Last edited by touchring; 26th March 2008 at 06:20 PM..
Old 27th March 2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Google is even tougher, especially for english content. Seems taht the only way to rank is to use an old name with plenty of backlinks, e.g. 5 years old. Or another way, i've seen people do it is to buy domains with good pr and link back.

That's why alternative extensions is losing value, domains no longer get a lot of SE preferential rank based on keywords. We're going back to the 90s when domains are sold on branding -> dot com.
1 year of stats for the crappiest extension in the book .. .ws

Nothing fantastic but not bad .. wouldn't you agree?

Amazing what a little effort will do.

Currently sits at position 286 on Yahoo Japan out of 20,900,000 results (Use to sit much higher before the algo changed)
Has 184 pages indexed on Yahoo Japan

Surprisingingly .. has 288 pages indexed on Google.com
Sits at position 213 out of a possible 1,110,000 results

(Note: All results are searched without quotes, just the domain without extension)

Last edited by mulligan; 27th March 2008 at 05:54 AM..
Old 27th March 2008, 06:05 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
1 year of stats for the crappiest extension in the book .. .ws

nice, how much did it get last 1 mth?
Old 27th March 2008, 06:15 AM

Thats why I was saying my earnings / visits had started to creep up after we all got booted to the arsehole of nowhere during the algo change