IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th April 2008, 04:25 PM

lipps is an unknown quantity at this point
Strange single character 2 letter domain name

dž.net
seventh letter of the Croatian alphabet and the Latin forms of Serbian and Macedonian, after D and before Đ. It is pronounced as /ʤ/. Dž is a digraph that corresponds to the letter Dzhe (Џ/џ) of the Cyrillic alphabet used for writing the Serbian and Macedonian Languages.

So research tells me that dž is actually a single character in the countries that it is used in. Is this so?
That just seems odd to me....
Old 9th April 2008, 05:11 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive
Re: Strange single character 2 letter domain name

I would only call it a single letter if it appears that way on the Croatian keyboard.

Doesn't seem like it does - http://www.microsoft.com.nsatc.net/g...ards/kbdcr.htm
Old 9th April 2008, 05:21 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Not at all! CH is a single letter in Czech. It appears in the alphabet between H and I.

Most alphabets from Central, Eastern and Northern Europe have more than 26 letters. The extra one are general made by adding diacritics, but they are distinct letters. More rarely single letters are formed by combining two of our symbols.

To tell whether these are considered separate letters or simply accented letters, you need to consult a local language dictionary. The way words are categorised will tell you everything. You will learn that Czech does not start with a C!
Old 9th April 2008, 05:27 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road

You have to make the distinction between single letter versus single keystroke.
Old 9th April 2008, 05:40 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive
You have to make the distinction between single letter versus single keystroke.
Absolutely correct but what price G, Q and W which are Czech letters, but really only there to humour foreigners?
Old 9th April 2008, 05:44 PM

Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Absolutely correct but what price G, Q and W which are Czech letters, but really only there to humour foreigners?
Like the Å in Finnish.

Old 9th April 2008, 05:50 PM
Veteran

It is all a subtle perception thing.

The sky blue background is just a different shade to the blue of the text to us.

Ask a Russian. He will probably be dumb founded that you actually consider them the same colour. Ask an Eskimo how many colours of snow there are. A few more than our two, I can assure you!
Old 9th April 2008, 07:03 PM

Being more familiar with english I would expect that a combined letter would be something like Æ but I understand that the Dž is a single character.
The serps for this character are decent but not as great as one would expect for a single character used in 3 different languages.
I would really like to know how it typed into a browser. I think the theory is correct regarding keystrokes, regardless of its use, that a single character is one that is entered using only one keystroke but I will not offset its value as a single character if it is seen in the language as a single letter.
I like it just for its uniqueness but have no idea on how to place a value on it.
Old 9th April 2008, 07:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps
Being more familiar with english I would expect that a combined letter would be something like Æ but I understand that the Dž is a single character.
The serps for this character are decent but not as great as one would expect for a single character used in 3 different languages.
I would really like to know how it typed into a browser. I think the theory is correct regarding keystrokes, regardless of its use, that a single character is one that is entered using only one keystroke but I will not offset its value as a single character if it is seen in the language as a single letter.
I like it just for its uniqueness but have no idea on how to place a value on it.
Old 9th April 2008, 07:12 PM

Damn those Croatians they have thought of everything.
Old 9th April 2008, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps
I believe Æ has its own key on the danish keyboard.

I'm not saying this domain has no value. Being considered a single letter it definitely has value. Just not the value of a single letter / single keystroke domain like ž, đ, or č.