IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Talk > Idners Clubhouse

Idners Clubhouse Idners Clubhouse is the place to hang out & chill when you just feel you've searched for IDN Domains a tad too much. General offtopic conversation. Please don't post SPAM here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th April 2008, 05:15 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough
Time to scrap the Green Back?

The US one dollar bill has to be one of the lowest denomination notes around and it is getting increasingly worthless everyday. Its face value is the equivalent of about 50 pence, which replaced the 10 Bob Note, which was phased out in 1969. Today the lowest paper currency in the UK is 5 quid which is worth about 10 times as much. Even the Europeans have nothing smaller than about 8 dollars. Why do the Yanks persists with the anachronism? Consign the bloody thing to history and move on. Either that or print a few more of them and stick 3 zeros on Turkish style!
Old 9th April 2008, 05:49 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Time to scrap the Green Back?

How much is the us penny worth.....perhaps that will go first, although it is an american/british tradition. I think I have a 1907 penny from Great Britain, it's about the size of a half dollar. The copper in a penny is probably worth more than 1cent.

a penny for your thoughts....
Old 9th April 2008, 05:52 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by phio
How much is the us penny worth.....perhaps that will go first, although it is an american/british tradition. I think I have a 1907 penny from Great Britain, it's about the size of a half dollar. The copper in a penny is probably worth more than 1cent.

The penny disappeared in 1969!
Old 9th April 2008, 06:02 PM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

A US dollar in the US can buy:

2 glazed donuts
1 cup of coffee at a donut shop
a quarter gallon of gas
a coke
a candy bar

and now that there are so many struggling here with unemployment and home-value declination ...

there are all kinds of overstock goods at the 99cent store www 99only com
Old 9th April 2008, 06:10 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
The US one dollar bill has to be one of the lowest denomination notes around and it is getting increasingly worthless everyday. Its face value is the equivalent of about 50 pence, which replaced the 10 Bob Note, which was phased out in 1969. Today the lowest paper currency in the UK is 5 quid which is worth about 10 times as much. Even the Europeans have nothing smaller than about 8 dollars. Why do the Yanks persists with the anachronism? Consign the bloody thing to history and move on. Either that or print a few more of them and stick 3 zeros on Turkish style!

I think notes are cheaper to make.

Look at the chinese 10 cents bill!

10 cents rmb is equal to 1.5 cents us. LOL.
Old 9th April 2008, 06:21 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

After living in the UK for over a year it is nice to have the dollar bill again. After awhile, the pound coins can weigh you down and if you are not careful you find yourself walking (as you guys say- woolking) in circles!

I still don't know what to do with all the one pence and two pence coins I have, can you actually spend those in the UK or are they for a collectible purpose?
Old 9th April 2008, 06:28 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phio

In May, the U.S. Mint informed Congress that the cost of making a penny and a nickel will soon exceed the actual value of each coin. Thanks to the high cost of materials that go into the making of the coins -- zinc, copper and nickel -- the Mint estimates that by the end of the fiscal year, the cost of producing one penny will come to around 1.23 cents, and the cost of making a nickel will be 5.73 cents.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com....aspx?GT1=8376

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/5180...the-penny.html
Old 9th April 2008, 06:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn
After living in the UK for over a year it is nice to have the dollar bill again. After awhile, the pound coins can weigh you down and if you are not careful you find yourself walking (as you guys say- woolking) in circles!

I still don't know what to do with all the one pence and two pence coins I have, can you actually spend those in the UK or are they for a collectible purpose?
Na, smallest useful coin is 10p. If it were up to me 1p and 2p would have been scrapped long ago.

We are more or less in the process of scrapping cheques. I think coinage won't be far behind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I think notes are cheaper to make.

Look at the chinese 10 cents bill!

10 cents rmb is equal to 1.5 cents us. LOL.
Yeah, I guess nobody is going to bother their arse trying to counterfeit that!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 9th April 2008 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 9th April 2008, 08:11 PM

lipps is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldnt be suprised to see the Steel Cent come back or copper over a plastic inlay
How would it look though to get rid of the "dollar" Very bad business for the national economy at this time. Bush might approve it though.
Old 9th April 2008, 08:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps
I wouldnt be suprised to see the Steel Cent come back or copper over a plastic inlay
How would it look though to get rid of the "dollar" Very bad business for the national economy at this time. Bush might approve it though.
It not such a big deal. Did you know that the value of Euros in circulation exceed the dollar as long ago as 2006!
Old 9th April 2008, 08:20 PM

I did at that.
I am sure in the long run that EU will overpower the US market its already in the works.
I wouldnt be suprised if someday the US became part of EU in some form or other.
We are headed for a one world market. Just a matter of time.
Of course there will be some wars....
Old 9th April 2008, 08:26 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am sure in the long run that EU will overpower the US market its already in the works.
I wouldnt be suprised if someday the US became part of EU in some form or other.
We are headed for a one world market. Just a matter of time.
Of course there will be some wars....

y? i don't believe that the eu is a lot more competitive than the us. the opposite is true. just that the us has too much debt, which needs to be cleared.
Old 9th April 2008, 10:21 PM

I dont see the US debt being cleared for quite some time. The average Joe is just not willing to decrease their standard of living for that.

Once the EU actually has a formal front, a leader to say, that all of its members agree upon, somewhere in 2009, the official parliament is going to be strong. Not at first, but once a true monetary sharing system is in place along with true trade sharing, this can only increase the stability of the EU.
Of course the cost ot acquisition and bringing in new nations is going to be a major factor so for some time there is going to be uncertainty.

Unless the US takes action to change its course, the dollar is going to continue to decrease in value. In most times this is not always bad as it stimulates other countries to buy from the US as the cost of ownership is less which in turn leads to a rebound of the economy. Unfortunatly other countries are in a financial crisis as well.

This trend seems to be in place and may remain in place for several years. Just enough time for the EU to establish its position.

If the US economy hasnt rebounded by them, and if all of the US assets are not bought up at a fraction of their worth during this time I would see the US wanting to form an alliance with EU, simmilar to Tony Blair in 2006.

What the US needs to do is strengthen the power of the US consumer by going back to a more isolationism theory of government for awhile. Promote business growth from within thus allowing for more jobs, make it more costly to buy products from outside of the US, and to own a business in the US that does not use the US workforce or products. This to keep the funds within the US.

If the US has a strong consumer base then the consumer will buy and repay their debt. This will increase tax revenue, and encourage more growth.

Its not a popular idea and scant on a true plan but one that may work although filled with holes.

That ought to bring in the comments
Old 10th April 2008, 05:21 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
y? i don't believe that the eu is a lot more competitive than the us. the opposite is true. just that the us has too much debt, which needs to be cleared.

It is easy to be competitive on free money.

At the moment the US is dumping product on the World markets, which is why exports have risen. If you don't believe this check out Alcoa's annual results.

This approach will not sustain. Dumping means trading at a loss. Wall Street will have a problem getting their heads around that and the Dow will crash.

You can see from the previous thread that there is no will to dig deep for the answers. If the US people were in the right mindset the recover process would take 5 to 10 years, but they are not. You are facing a decade of political upheaval before they face reality. In the meantime they will continue to elect politicians that promise them the Earth. None of these will deliver anymore than Dubya has delivered. The most likely short-term move is a pull of from Iraq. The reason Clinton wants out in a hurry is she know that US just cannot afford the bills.
Old 10th April 2008, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
I dont see the US debt being cleared for quite some time. The average Joe is just not willing to decrease their standard of living for that.
J6P isn't going to have the luxury of choice in the matter, I feel.
Old 10th April 2008, 07:20 AM
Veteran

There is just a sense of non-reality here.

How does the US adopt an isolationist policy, whilst maintaining any pretence of being at the centre of the World's financial system? How can the dollar maintain its status as the World's reserve currency, if the US is erecting trade barriers?

Britain was nearly beaten back to the Stone Age in the 1970s before it gots its act together. I fear the learning curve in the US is likely to be just as protracted.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 10th April 2008 at 07:54 AM..
Old 10th April 2008, 07:45 AM

Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Britain was nearly beaten back to the Stone Age in the 1970s before it gots its act together. I fear the learning curve in the US is likely to be just as protracted.

It will be even worse. People in the US have been brainwashed since birth that the US is invincible, impregnable, and simply the most privileged country on the planet. Anybody who says otherwise will be branded as a traitor.

Old 10th April 2008, 08:03 AM
Veteran

In Britain, it took a leader with a very strong electoral mandate to take a lot unpopular and often arbituary decisions to get the nation's finances back on a stable footing. The arguments took a long time to sink in but mercifully the oppositon also understood much of the message so we have really had nearly 30 years of political stability.

France who had similar, but less severe problems was unable to find that quality of leadership, and because they have lacked critical direction, they got buried.

There is no such leadership on offer this time around in the US. Obama wants change but he is not going to address the fundamental problems. Indeed, he will make things worse. McCain hasn't got a clue, and Mrs Clinton is no Margret Thatcher!