IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2008, 06:42 AM

khurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished roadkhurtsiya is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to khurtsiya
Korean Case for IDNs and Generics

http://www.greentaxi.com/?p=695
Old 17th April 2008, 07:26 AM

clipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the roughclipper is a jewel in the rough
Re: Korean Case for IDNs and Generics

Weak, at best.

Quote:
(Companies that use co.kr) either are truly trying to cater to domestics or simply prefer the availability under that TLD as opposed to .com. I am guessing the latter, but I do not have enough feedback to know for sure.
I'm guessing the former. In my limited experience with Asian overseas sales, there is a decided preference for the local.

Quote:
The point, however, is that English generic variations continue to dominate the foreign domain space. Of course, IDN’s are the ultimate solution, but I am sure that none of these companies know of such a thing. Koreans are an extremely high-tech people and I am sure they would pick up the concept of IDN’s quite quickly if it were pushed on them. They really just need a large company to make a run with it and the growth will come from there. Unfortunately, with the large companies already having gone for a .com, it may not be that easy. So, in reality, we need a medium sized company that has not entrenched itself in a .com, but may be at the peak of the .co.kr market to undertake such an endeavor.
This dude is nuts.

It's absurd to think that Korean companies don't know "of such a thing."

They know damn well.

"Koreans are an extremely high-tech people and I am sure they would pick up the concept of IDN’s quite quickly if it were pushed on them..."

Ugh... Is this the voice of an ambassador?

"So, in reality, we need a medium sized company that has not entrenched itself in a .com, but may be at the peak of the .co.kr market to undertake such an endeavor."

Insane.

What we need is small – no, tiny – Korean companies to start profiting from these things...

No, we need tiny Japanese companies to start profiting from these things. Screw Korea, I have very few Korean names.

We need tiny (I mean tiny) Japanese and Arabic-speaking companies to start making sales, or we need to do it for them.