IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th March 2006, 01:00 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
More press on IDNs

It disturbs me that IDNs have gotten little mass media publicity despite everything that is going on. I don't see Microsoft touting IDN compatibility as a big deal in their list of IE 7.0 innovations in its press releases though I don't get why. I don't see the free press picking it up either. To seed the market, I think we need to see articles in the Wall Street Journal, Business 2.0, Wired, Business Week and its counterparts across the world.

Anyone have any reporter friends at any of these publications to tell them that they are missing one of the biggest stories on the future of the internet?
Old 29th March 2006, 01:10 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: More press on IDNs

As a whole everyone thinks of the way it is now with Domaining first & don't realize that the regular domain well is dried up.

6 months of pushing domainers are finally taking IDNs serious. It's going to take time.

None of the other sites are even up on uses, & info yet. For the Japanese market I can see the benefits, I know how the difference on how the internet is used in Japan compared to the US or English speaking person. It's different, but people want to take things from a English speakers perspective.

Major companies are still not able to take advantage of IDN Domains fully yet so it will get little press. I'm pushing for some big companies to go IDN compatible over here in Tokyo which helps out.

I'm also developing Japanese projects which I will be including compatibility for IDN domains.
Old 29th March 2006, 01:37 AM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
It disturbs me that IDNs have gotten little mass media publicity despite everything that is going on.
Best to wait to break the news (in a big way) when the time is right.
Old 29th March 2006, 01:38 AM

idnceo is an unknown quantity at this point

Im gonna sound like Kennedy but ask yourself, what are you doing to give publicity to the IDNs? (the question is not for you Rhys but an open "you")

At least, im glad to see Olney and Blastfromthepast have developed some of their japanese domains in the adult area. And some members develop blogs or websites with information about IDNs. But i feel many are just waiting to profit of the work of others.

Last edited by idnceo; 29th March 2006 at 02:56 AM..
Old 29th March 2006, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnceo
Im gonna sound like Kennedy but ask yourself, what are you doing to give publicity to the IDNs? (the question is not for you Rhys but an open "you")

At least, im glad to see Olney and Gammascalper have developed some of their japanese domains in the adult area. And some members develop blogs or websites with information about IDNs. But i feel many are just waiting to profit of the work of others.
Valid comment, although I do bet that most are still in a collection frenzy at this point. I think that the big "story" for the news media is about what is coming - not what is here. Business 2.0 great article about "Masters of their Domains" lets face it is about something that is effectively over, the greater story is about what is about to happen.

The press I am imagining will help kick-start corporate adoption, ad-agency adoption, and individual development in addition to legitimizing our argument.

All we need are a few reporters looking for a story....
Old 29th March 2006, 02:13 AM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I do bet that most are still in a collection frenzy at this point.
I quit looking for (Japanese) IDNs a couple of weeks ago. If you don't already have a good portfolio of names yet, you'd better hurry - at least when it comes to finding good unregistered names. Otherwise, you'll have to get them from resellers.
Old 29th March 2006, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

IDN's don't get a lot of press in the English world, because it's about the only language that can get by completely without them.
Old 29th March 2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert
IDN's don't get a lot of press in the English world, because it's about the only language that can get by completely without them.
Ok - you guys aren't getting me. This is a story. The right reporter, English press or not when shown the facts of the case can understand this story. It has the promise of revolution for the internet; it has the promise of wealth accumulation for the relatively few engaged in it; it is an investment story; it is an entrepreneurial story; it is filled with varied and I dare say interesting characters. It comes on the heels of other stories that miss the point, "Masters of their Domains" and the Wall Street Journal article on China threatening to split their internet.

Let me make it simple - we need to talk to our friends / contacts who are reporters and explain this story. This has to be included in our roadmap to hasten the emergence of the IDN market. No more explaining to me why this isn't happening. I'm well aware that it isn't happening because I started the thread. I'm saying call your reporter friends/contacts - does anyone have someone a brother/sister, college roommate, one night stand....anyone anyone?

Last edited by rhys; 29th March 2006 at 05:48 AM..
Old 29th March 2006, 06:13 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Sarcle suggested doing a Press Release which I'll do but you guys don't know how swamped I am working on projects for the Search Engine Strategies in Tokyo in April.

I'll also see if I can get some questions answered.
Old 29th March 2006, 06:43 AM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been watching Chinese domainer discussion boards. Just during the last month, a lot more mention of IDNs than before.

The more native coverage of IDN the better, because that's where the end users are. It might be better for the English coverage to wait or slowly ramp up.
Old 29th March 2006, 07:37 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Let me make it simple - we need to talk to our friends / contacts who are reporters and explain this story. This has to be included in our roadmap to hasten the emergence of the IDN market. No more explaining to me why this isn't happening. I'm well aware that it isn't happening because I started the thread. I'm saying call your reporter friends/contacts - does anyone have someone a brother/sister, college roommate, one night stand....anyone anyone?
When I tried to promote IDNs two years ago when they were available in .ru (no comment how or why) Yandex people laughed at me, and refused (!) to index IDNs.

Their "celebrity" webdeveloper Artem Lebedev then wrote a peice against IDNs that got noted in the webdeveloping world, along the lines of "useless because foreigners won't be able to access our pages, and so annoying to type in the .com switching to latin". Other news stories came out, with "oh the horror, can you type a chinese url? I can't!"

This is one of the reasons so many Russian domains were available for so long. Until now of course.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 29th March 2006 at 07:49 AM..