IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 域名

域名 Discussion for Chinese IDN domain names. Chinese domains include .cn, .com, & .net.
This section is for discussion only Please do NOT post Chinese domains for sale here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th March 2006, 04:05 AM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point
矽谷 or 硅谷? 航线 = Airline?

Both 矽 and 硅 are Simplified + Traditional Chinese.

Both 矽 and 硅 mean Silicon. 谷 is Valley.

矽 [xi]

硅 [gui]

Taiwan, Hong Kong and all overseas Chinese started calling Silicon Valley "矽谷" in the 70s. China had close contact with SV quite a bit late and probably did not know the world was using "矽谷" for SV :-), so China gave SV a new name "硅谷".

At first, you would think 硅谷 would not survive. But, well, if you have 1.3 billion people, you can do a lot of things, 硅谷 is getting more popular now.

At the present time:

硅谷 is being used by 1.3 billion Mainland Chinese.

矽谷 is being used by 0.1 billion overseas Chinese.

Very soon, all Chinese will be using 硅谷!

航线 = Airline? It's a joke!

For tudents in China, before they graduate from high school, all should have learned that "Airline" means 航空公司 and vice versa.

We cannot find an exact word in Chinese to translate "line", but since "line" means "company owning and operating such transportation system", 航空公司 is the best translation for "Airline".

航线 = Air route or Flying route.

线 is a thread or a line, so 航线 is the best word to be mistaken with Airline with very good excuse (in fact, no any high school student can commit such mistake). But no matter how hard the seller tried to prove his ignorance, his purpose of registering 航线.com on March 26, 2006 (and then sell to foreigners looking for "airline") is obvious, TO DECEIVE.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@

Last edited by Giant; 29th March 2006 at 04:31 AM..
Old 29th March 2006, 08:13 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 矽谷 or 硅谷? 航线 = Airline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant

For tudents in China, before they graduate from high school, all should have learned that "Airline" means 航空公司 and vice versa.

We cannot find an exact word in Chinese to translate "line", but since "line" means "company owning and operating such transportation system", 航空公司 is the best translation for "Airline".

线 is a thread or a line, so 航线 is the best word to be mistaken with Airline with very good excuse (in fact, no any high school student can commit such mistake). But no matter how hard the seller tried to prove his ignorance, his purpose of registering 航线.com on March 26, 2006 (and then sell to foreigners looking for "airline") is obvious, TO DECEIVE.

I wouldn't jump into conclusion so quickly - i actually made a comment on this issue on that sale thread. 航线 is ALSO used for "airline", and although not as common a term as '航空公司', we can't exactly accuse the seller of trying to deceive.

Some examples:

cargo airline
货运航线; 货运航空公司
domestic airline
国内航线
feeder airline
地方航线, 航空支线
helicopter airline
直升机航空公司[航线]
internal airline
国内航线
international airline
国际航线; 国际航空公司
local-service airline
地方航空公司[航线]
long-stage airline
长途直飞航线
private airline
私营航空公司; 私人航线
scheduled airline
定期航线
short-stage airline
短途直飞航线
state airline
[美]州营[国营]航空公司
state-owned airline
[美]州营[国营]航空公司
trunk airline
航空干线
airlines of communication
空中交通线

Last edited by touchring; 29th March 2006 at 08:16 AM..
Old 29th March 2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
I wouldn't jump into conclusion so quickly - i actually made a comment on this issue on that sale thread. 航线 is ALSO used for "airline", and although not as common a term as '航空公司', we can't exactly accuse the seller of trying to deceive.

Some examples:

cargo airline
货运航线; 货运航空公司
domestic airline
国内航线
feeder airline
地方航线, 航空支线
helicopter airline
直升机航空公司[航线]
internal airline
国内航线
international airline
国际航线; 国际航空公司
local-service airline
地方航空公司[航线]
long-stage airline
长途直飞航线
private airline
私营航空公司; 私人航线
scheduled airline
定期航线
short-stage airline
短途直飞航线
state airline
[美]州营[国营]航空公司
state-owned airline
[美]州营[国营]航空公司
trunk airline
航空干线
airlines of communication
空中交通线
I was hiring people with English proficiency in China in 2001 - 2002 for a Hong Kong company, and I have interviewed and worked with quite a lot of mainland Chinese. I know quite well about the English education in China.

Here's something we can base upon to make a judgement:

-The seller's English level is higher than "level 6" or even "level 8" of a regular University graduate.

-If the seller's ignorance is genuine, he would translate "airline company" as “航线公司", not "航空公司", he was not consistant on erring. Some English and Chinese translation can cause a little confusion, but such confusion can easily be solved by a person with "level 6" English.

-There are many on-line dictionaries and off-line dictionaries in China that show very clearly "airline" is "航空公司" and "航线" is" Air Route". But the seller chose only "金山词霸" to prove his point, why did he not use Baidu Translator and some very convenient on-line dictionaries? Even with "金山词霸" he quoted, any person with his English can afirm himself easily that "airline" is "航空公司" by reading the #2 meaning in "金山词霸", and 航线 is Air Route.

-Why would a Chinese in mainland China register 航线.com? What for? 航线 is a technical term used only among people in that industry. Do you think he would be so eager to register and sell it to the Chinese in China? or his target is particularly "English" customers?

Although some erroneous translations do exist somewhere by some companies (as you listed), they do not change the fact that "航线" = "airline" is wrong.

I do not normally judge people unless I have sufficient facts to force me to act.

@

Last edited by Giant; 29th March 2006 at 05:17 PM..
Old 29th March 2006, 05:55 PM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point

You may be right. This is the first time I notice his posting, it's possible that he's making a genuine mistake (as Touchring thinks).

Let's reserve the public flogging for the repeat offenders... Maybe set up a jailcell where badly misrepresented threads go?

This is more and more like the Wild West
Old 29th March 2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenne
You may be right. This is the first time I notice his posting, it's possible that he's making a genuine mistake (as Touchring thinks).

Let's reserve the public flogging for the repeat offenders... Maybe set up a jailcell where badly misrepresented threads go?

This is more and more like the Wild West
Yes, I can be wrong in my judgment too, and no matter what we say here we cannot enforce it at the other forum. But I think this thread can serve as deterrent to people trying to take advantage of the confusion between translations. This is not just a 鬼佬 (foreign devils) forum, there are Chinese here too!

The way I learned my English is no different from students in China do today. The order we take to learn the language is based on the Level of Difficulty of the vocabulary. "air", "line", and "airline" belong to level one vocabulary, and Chinese students learn them in grade 8 or grade 9.

There are many Chinese domainers in China heard of DNF and recently IDNF, but few dare to post at these forums because they are not confident enough of their English. The ones that do post should know quite well of the language. If you take a look at the way this seller argued with native English speakers, you should have no doubt he is very comfortable with English. To suggest such person could make such a mistake on level 1 vocabulary is simply ILL-logical (to me at least).

But it's not that bad though, besides the godfrey guy's, this is the first time I pointed out a real misleading translation.

@

Last edited by Giant; 30th March 2006 at 12:11 PM..
Old 8th April 2006, 02:08 AM

jackol is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Both 矽 and 硅 are Simplified + Traditional Chinese.

I think you should shut up your mouth. Please search with google "航线",
it's returns can tell you more.

Quote:
-There are many on-line dictionaries and off-line dictionaries in China that show very clearly "airline" is "航空公司" and "航线" is" Air Route". But the seller chose only "金山词霸" to prove his point, why did he not use Baidu Translator and some very convenient on-line dictionaries? Even with "金山词霸" he quoted, any person with his English can afirm himself easily that "airline" is "航空公司" by reading the #2 meaning in "金山词霸", and 航线 is Air Route.

-Why would a Chinese in mainland China register 航线.com? What for? 航线 is a technical term used only among people in that industry. Do you think he would be so eager to register and sell it to the Chinese in China? or his target is particularly "English" customers?
Do you know what's "同志" means ? It's comrade ? copemate? pal ?
You can use any Translator as you like.

BUT, NOW, IN CHINA, IT'S MEANS "faggotry".

Same as 航线, on one think"航空公司' is "airline", "航空公司' should be
"airline company". and "航线" is "airline"

If you don't know Chinese, you had better live in China for a while.

By the way, your signature, " 真理" should be "gospel,verity", not " truth".
"事实" should be "truth". in chinese.

Last edited by jackol; 8th April 2006 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 8th April 2006, 03:02 AM

qqjj is an unknown quantity at this point

Why the attitude? Giant is one of the top guys in domaining and has helped many people here.

"航线" is not "airline". "航空公司' is "airline".

"事实" is "fact", not "truth".
Old 8th April 2006, 03:10 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackol
In English, there is no distinction between absolute truth, latin 'veritas', and regular truth.
Old 8th April 2006, 03:22 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Same as 航线, on one think"航空公司' is "airline", "航空公司' should be
"airline company". and "航线" is "airline"

Taking your suggestion to "...search with google "航线", it's returns can tell you more."

Top results on 1st page in Google.cn for "航空公司":

www.airchina.com.cn/
www.shanghai-air.com/
www.ce-air.com/
www.cs-air.com/
www.fat.com.tw/
www.xiamenair.com.cn/
www.shenzhenair.com/
www.tna.com.tw/
www.hnair.com/

Top results on 1st page in Google.cn for "航线":

www.airlinescn.net/
b-144528.hotnews.alibaba.com.cn/
www.qdport.com/info/hxcx/list.php
www.airlines2000.net/
www.ce-air.com/cea/zh_CN/inquiry/route
www.fjjt.gov.cn/shfw/hycx.htm
www.cathaypacific.com/tw/plan/routes/0,,,00.html
www.regencyholiday.com/
54.coscon.com/
www.caa.gov.tw/big5/traffic/view.php?cid=37

I think the search results confirm that "航空公司" is what in English is known as an "airline".

While "航线" may in some cases literally be translated as "airline", it doesn't seem to be the common form for the common usage of "airline", which is closer to "airline company".

In addition:

"航空公司" receives 135 us overture.

"航线" receives no us overture.

For the record, 航空公司.com was snagged in 2000!

Last edited by gammascalper; 8th April 2006 at 03:39 AM..
Old 8th April 2006, 03:54 AM

jackol is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqjj
Why the attitude? Giant is one of the top guys in domaining and has helped many people here.

I am sorry . I really can't bear he said that my friend is deceiving for sale domain
航线.com. If have quesion, should directly post your though in the subject,
NOT IN THE BACK, until now, my friend still didn't know this forum.
Old 8th April 2006, 04:02 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

As for tong zhi "同志"... If that's yours you have an excellent domain. Even in Hong Kong, tong zhi is a well-known euphamism for "Gay". If I know this, I am certain that the others above know this too.

But I understand your point... machine translation is not reliable and you really need to know something about the culture to understand what some names really mean. That's why this forum is so cool.

Tell your friend to come on over, have a few beers and smoke the peace pipe.

And we'll still tell him that "航线" is not "airline". "航空公司' is "airline"
Old 8th April 2006, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Search engine returns whatever people put on their websites, the erroneous translations are not useful in proving anything.

In 2002, I was working with a group of TOP translators and interpreters of China, they helped me see the huge volumns of materials that the Chinese translators have to work on everyday. China has too few qualified translators and erroneous translations are everywhere.

When you come to sell Chinese domains at these "English" forums, the first thing you have to do is make sure the translation is correct. If you have any doubt, consult with somebody capable of English before you sell them.

I could be too tough on one person, but I am protecting the reputation of 1.3 billion Chinese!

I believe most people that buy Chinese domains have a favorable view of China, don't make them disappointed.

Quote:

As Gamma said, I don't see why it is difficult to understand this, I saw Shenzhen newspaper used this word in 1998 when I was there.

Quote:
The first time I visited China was in 1989. I stayed in Shanghai for 3 months and Shenzhen for 2 months in 1998. I was helping the Chinese government for 2 years 2001 - 2003.

Do you know what people in China told me? "You are more Chinese than the Chinese" :-)

No kidding! You can consult with me anything spectacular of China from the ancient time till now.

Quote:
You were not a good student, I can tell...

BTW, there are more misleading sales by this seller.

营养学.com (nutrition/dietetics)
周游.com (circuit) $220
规划.com (layout) $180

@

Last edited by Giant; 8th April 2006 at 05:17 AM..
Old 8th April 2006, 05:10 AM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not quite sure whose friend is who, but I know that a few of us (likely Giant included) DID point out the "airline" translation problem in the same sales thread.

So saying that we talked behind his back is not true. We were talking both in front
of and behind him, as he should expect.
Old 8th April 2006, 06:14 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Post Re: 矽谷 or 硅谷? 航线 = Airline?

日日學習﹑天天向上!
Old 8th April 2006, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
日日學習﹑天天向上!
Very good! I don't know from whom this phrase is, but it's quite "current". Here are a few ancient phrases with almost the same meaning.

苟日新,日日新,又日新。 《礼记·大学》

天行健,君子以自强不息。 《I-Ching》

终日乾乾,与时偕行。 《周易·乾·文言》

These phrases are more than 2,500 years old, we still use them today!

@

Last edited by Giant; 8th April 2006 at 07:02 AM..