IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2008, 04:40 PM

Ross is an unknown quantity at this point
The power of a good domain in advertising

I started up an adwords campaign today for a air-travel affiliate site of mine.

The domain is two words which match a fairly popular search term.

I wrote the ad copy and bid on 15 different highly targeted searches, one of the bids exactly matching the domain name itself.

My ad ran in spot 4 for the keyword bid that matched the domain name, but it still got a 71.4% CTR !!! - 5 clicks from 7 views. I am beating 3 competitors even though I am using lower bids. The next highest CTR was 16.6%.

Behold the power of a good, generic domain - they convey nearly absolute authority in the user's mind.

Old 19th April 2008, 05:09 PM

lipps is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The power of a good domain in advertising

Ross you have good skills
Any word on this whole Google idn = vanity domain, url has to = landing page thing that was going around?
Old 19th April 2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps
Ross you have good skills
Any word on this whole Google idn = vanity domain, url has to = landing page thing that was going around?

Well, if you read between the lines of what I demonstrated above, you will understand why Google will not allow IDN Display URLs. It would upset the hell out of the established big advertising customers.

Old 19th April 2008, 06:57 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Ross,

Can I ask which language your domain and advertising is in ??

I am in the process of building up some of my Greek IDNs into mini sites, and would be interested in running some Adwords for them to see how they operate.

Thanks

Alex

Old 19th April 2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd
Ross,

Can I ask which language your domain and advertising is in ??

I am in the process of building up some of my Greek IDNs into mini sites, and would be interested in running some Adwords for them to see how they operate.

Thanks

Alex
Ascii domain, Finnish language. However, in this case the proper spelling of the words in the domain name only require ascii characters.

Google does not permit running Adwords campaigns which point to IDNs.

Old 19th April 2008, 09:16 PM

lipps is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told somewhere that you could point adsence to the punycode for landing page. I dont know if this is accurate?
Has anyone tried this?
Wondering if one could point to the punycode for the domain and then rename the index file to the actual characters. I am not sure because I have not tried it.
Old 19th April 2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps
I was told somewhere that you could point adsence to the punycode for landing page. I dont know if this is accurate?
Has anyone tried this?
Wondering if one could point to the punycode for the domain and then rename the index file to the actual characters. I am not sure because I have not tried it.

Yeah, you can use xn--blah.com as your Display URL. That's pretty ugly, though. I doubt many people would click on it.

The adwords system will display non-ascii filenames URL encoded - so they are also unreadable.

Old 19th April 2008, 09:26 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
Google does not permit running Adwords campaigns which point to IDNs.

Is this something recent ?? I remember about a year or so ago, I was using Adwords for my Παιχνιδια.net website, and had no problem using an IDN domain.

I also ran an adword campaign for my πόκερ.com domain, but this campaign was actually cancelled by Google due to it being a Poker related campaign.

Alex

Old 19th April 2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Is this something recent ?? I remember about a year or so ago, I was using Adwords for my Παιχνιδια.net website, and had no problem using an IDN domain.

I also ran an adword campaign for my πόκερ.com domain, but this campaign was actually cancelled by Google due to it being a Poker related campaign.

Alex

Let me rephrase it - Google does not permit running ads that have non-ascii display URLs. You must use xn--blahblah.com as your display URL. The system won't even let you save the ad if the domain in the URL isn't all ascii.

Old 19th April 2008, 09:48 PM

I'm 99% sure that when I was running my campaigns, it was displaying my domain in the ad as Πόκερ.com - that was basically the main attraction for me, and why I wanted to test how the ads would work.

I don't remember at all my URL showing as www.xn--blahblahblah.

Alex

Old 19th April 2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I'm 99% sure that when I was running my campaigns, it was displaying my domain in the ad as Πόκερ.com - that was basically the main attraction for me, and why I wanted to test how the ads would work.

I don't remember at all my URL showing as www.xn--blahblahblah.

Alex

Go ahead and try to start one now and report back!