IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th April 2008, 07:48 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Natalie Grinblatt plugged at DNJ

http://www.dnjournal.com/lowdown.htm

Yes, who? You may well ask!
Old 24th April 2008, 08:07 AM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Natalie Grinblatt plugged at DNJ

Yes who?

"IDNoptions has one of the worlds largest IDN portfolios and is involved with IDN consulting and IDN business development"

Okay RD is she keeping up your porsche payments, or just a friend?
Old 24th April 2008, 08:10 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

New to me. I have heard of Monster here, which backs Steve Epstein. Not sure if this is a partner or his not.

We recently rebuffed an approach for VC/JV.
Old 24th April 2008, 08:39 AM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

Look like she has joined IDNOptions which I think was discussed a while back.

She likes monopoly and other board games, and has a great deal of experience in education.

http://www.domainstrategies.com/news/

http://www.pr-inside.com/explosive-i...ed-r510785.htm

Sound like she is promoting IDNs in a very positive light.
Old 24th April 2008, 09:20 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by phio
Sound like she is promoting IDNs in a very positive light.

That's not good . Damn IDNs... completely worthless...

Oh wait... we're not @ Namepros... everyone here has already fallen for these suckers. GDI!
Old 24th April 2008, 10:48 AM

blackops is an unknown quantity at this point

Never thought i'd end up saying this but thanks RD. This is fascinating news. I'm going to look in to this a little and will report back if I find something interesting to say...

Good one...

:-)

update: Just saw this from the Monster Capital site..

March 31, 2008
Explosive Internet Market in China Captured via IDNoptions Collaboration with Monster Venture Partners
Filed under: Domain Strategies, IDNoptions, MVP — Blake Robinson @ 12:05 pm
IDNoptions Collaborates with Monster Venture Partners and Domain Strategies to Enable Entrepreneurs to Build Profitable Businesses in Asia on Premium Domains.

PHOENIX–(BUSINESS WIRE)–IDNoptions, LLC (www.idnoptions.com), a leader in International Domain Name (IDN) acquisition, announced today an investment and strategic partnership with Monster Venture Partners (MVP), LLC and Domain Strategies, Inc. to expand and develop an industry-leading portfolio of IDNs and to build businesses on those domains.

----------------------------

The idnoptions.com portfolio is definitely a '.com' play, although I don't think i'd go as far as to say the names are premium idn.com's... anyone disagree?

Idnoptions appear to have garnered decent backing from Monster, by the looks of it, and if they do decide to properly develop some of these names then it will be an enormous boon for Chinese idn.com generally - no doubt about it.

Last edited by blackops; 24th April 2008 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 24th April 2008, 12:10 PM
Veteran

I doubt it will have much impact.

There are already thousands of developed sitees out there. What is still missing is Browser Support and Offline Advertising, but both are coming.
Old 24th April 2008, 10:13 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

from Steve Epstein:

Natalie is my wife and business partner at IDNoptions.
She and I are amused by the attention.

She also is an executive with Domain Strategies.

Domain Strategies and IDNoptions have received investment capital from Rob Monster via Monster Venture Partners.

And we are proceeding to develop IDN's with Chinese firms in China, and american firms with a presence in China.
JV's are proceeding and in the pipeline.

My definition of premium IDN is a name that any client wants to buy , to develop or to joint venture.

IDN's are not premium based on type in traffic or Google or Overture numbers.
They are premium based on the marketplace alone.

Also, just for notes:

Yahoo Finance and Forbes on line carried the press release.

Natalie was the admissions director for Michigan and Cornell MBA programs for a combined 20 years.
Many of her admittees are now high in Fortune 1000 companies

Her network contains many of the top executives in the world.

We are not waiting for the old domainers to buy or for IDN domainers to buy.
We are selling direct to the CEO's and CFO's and marketers and developers right now.

ROI on 7.50 for premium or quasi premium or 'dementia- premium' is still
exponential.

how exponential is separate question.

With US real estate in the tank and the Shang Hai index down 50%.....
web development circa 2001 for China is not a bad bet for a lot of companies in China and the West.

With regard, to IDNoptions portfolio being the best and largest.....
who knows ?........PR blather is still blather, but necessary blather.
Who is going to annoint us if we don't at least make a statement.

I could not find a portfolio of 500 or more other than the 1500+ , that I posted
of my portfolio at www.idnoptions.com .

Transparency and openness is straightforward.
Do I have lots of names not posted on the corporate site ?
yes......

but 80% of our holdings are there.

And of course Rob and I are still interested in JV's with any one here.

Steve
Old 24th April 2008, 10:37 PM
Banned

new_boss is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18
from Steve Epstein:

Natalie is my wife and business partner at IDNoptions.
She and I are amused by the attention.

She also is an executive with Domain Strategies.

Domain Strategies and IDNoptions have received investment capital from Rob Monster via Monster Venture Partners.

And we are proceeding to develop IDN's with Chinese firms in China, and american firms with a presence in China.
JV's are proceeding and in the pipeline.

Steve
Man... I , of course , am a humble man but.... It's a good portfolio but mine beats this one hands down. It' s not chinese though. I should spend more time on networking, perhaps.. I usually totally ignore this important side of business. Or simply, sit back and relax-that's another option-my time will come.

Last edited by new_boss; 24th April 2008 at 10:50 PM..
Old 24th April 2008, 11:21 PM

I especially like the Wine & Spirits Category...nice

Wishing you both lots of success in your ventures.
Old 25th April 2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phio
Wishing you both lots of success in your ventures.
I, as I am sure we all do, would like to echo that sentiment. It must seem a little strange Steve to have people talking about/examining (ok, pulling apart!) your IDN opp in this way.

I think it's because IDN is so "niche" and it is a small community here; we get to hear "the skinny" on everything IDN-related within minutes of it becoming public knowledge.

Regards,
Old 25th April 2008, 10:43 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
New to me. I have heard of Monster here, which backs Steve Epstein. Not sure if this is a partner or his not.

We recently rebuffed an approach for VC/JV.

of cos, y would u give a share of your prime portfolio to VC? :p
Old 25th April 2008, 11:07 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackops
I, as I am sure we all do, would like to echo that sentiment. It must seem a little strange Steve to have people talking about/examining (ok, pulling apart!) your IDN opp in this way.

I think it's because IDN is so "niche" and it is a small community here; we get to hear "the skinny" on everything IDN-related within minutes of it becoming public knowledge.

Regards,
Just goes to show how much you have understood in all this time.

It is ENGLISH that is the NICHE.

It is a niche that has been driven very powerfully first by the might of the British Empire and then more recently by the US Economic Strangle hold on the World.

My guess is that English is going to be a shrinking niche.

The power brokers now are the Arabs. They have just told Bush to come back in 2012 and they will think about it. Course he still has 6 months. Plenty of time to start another war.

This will show you the might of the US:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/24/news...ion=2008042418

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/s...1/daily28.html

Yep, they are losing their entire worth just about every month!
Old 25th April 2008, 11:38 AM

Lol. Thanks RD. As ever, I am humbled by your remarkable insights... :-)
Old 25th April 2008, 11:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
of cos, y would u give a share of your prime portfolio to VC? :p
It would be like throwing the relay batton at the ground just before you cross the finish line.

If they want the names then they will have to come out the woodwork and buy some of them.
Old 28th March 2009, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

http://www.techflash.com/venture/Rob..._41986632.html
Old 28th March 2009, 11:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Probably a polite way of saying that trying to deal with domainers is like trying to eat soup with a fork!
Old 30th March 2009, 03:42 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
intuitive content discovery (domains), and centralized reference data (e.g. microformats)
Watch that web 3.0 lingo come alive.