IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 日本語ドメイン

日本語ドメイン Discussion for Japan IDN Domain names. Japanese IDNs are available in .com .net & .jp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th March 2006, 10:18 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point
What are the newbies up to?

Guys, I've been out distracting myself and trying to do other things in the last 2 weeks but spend money on IDNs. I figure all of the new entrants are busy picking .com .net and .jp clean. I have deliberately held back from regging Japanese IDN for over a week. Yet here I come back just tonight to look around at what is available and I immediately saw and reg'd アイドル動画.net "Idol movies/clips" with an OVT of 557,384. I'm surprised to see none of you have touched it. What gives, where are you guys looking? Too proud to pick up .net or what?
Old 29th March 2006, 10:38 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: What are the newbies up to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Guys, I've been out distracting myself and trying to do other things in the last 2 weeks but spend money on IDNs. I figure all of the new entrants are busy picking .com .net and .jp clean. I have deliberately held back from regging Japanese IDN for over a week. Yet here I come back just tonight to look around at what is available and I immediately saw and reg'd アイドル動画.net "Idol movies/clips" with an OVT of 557,384. I'm surprised to see none of you have touched it. What gives, where are you guys looking? Too proud to pick up .net or what?
Dot nets are good. I can live with buying and selling them! My heart bleeds when I let the dot coms go! Remember, dot net holds the record for a verified non-Latin IDN sale! For Latin domains dot com still doesn't get a look in. There is a big dot Com sale coming, I can feel it my water, but when you look at the quality of the keywords out there dot net is a very good investment!
Old 29th March 2006, 03:42 PM

sunsei21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sunsei21 Send a message via Skype™ to sunsei21

lol im a newbie and would love a .net if i could find one anyone wanna point me in the right direction ?
Old 29th March 2006, 04:49 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsei21
lol im a newbie and would love a .net if i could find one anyone wanna point me in the right direction ?
Search for Edwin's recent list of his new registrations and you should find lots of .nets.
Old 29th March 2006, 05:10 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

I personally shy away from nets; especially since there are so many good coms available (not necessarily in japanese/chinese)

I just look at the disparaging price differences between com and net in ASCII. After so many years of resale market maturity, .net is definately very far behind.

Ultimately though, it's up to an individual's strategy. For me, it would have to be an equivalent of a, say, sex.net caliber domain to reg, or something that makes sense in .net

For example I do have νετ.net (= net in Greek).

To each his/her own I suppose.
Old 29th March 2006, 05:26 PM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point

I regs a lot of Chinese .net. The way I see it is that Chinese is an international language with 100M overseas Chinese. That makes .net quite valuable, potentially as valuable as .cn (in terms of return on investment), depending on how .cn is managed.

In other words, I think Chinese_IDN.com and Chinese-IDN.net will always have value even if the mainlanders ONLY use .cn; On the other hand, if .cn is
badly mismanaged, then .com and .net will be even more valuable.

The other international languages are:
English
Spanish
Arabic

German
French
Russian (used in former soviet republics)
Portuguese

Dutch (Maybe?)
(Maybe others?)

For the non-international languages with big population, even buying .com is risky, because of the lack of
insurance. (I'm taking this back...)

Last edited by kenne; 29th March 2006 at 06:39 PM..
Old 29th March 2006, 06:06 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenne
For the non-international languages with big population, even buying .com is risky, because of the lack of
insurance.
Traffic is my insurance
Old 29th March 2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
Traffic is my insurance
If you got that, I agree with u :p

BTW, which languages do you have the traffic?
Old 29th March 2006, 06:22 PM

Greek, Korean, Czech, Hungarian, Swedish (from the languages you didn't mention)

I was trying to point out that it's not only about selling the domains for a potential astronomical amount; a good generic in any language that gets even small traffic today, will eventually get more.

Traffic = income.
Old 29th March 2006, 06:27 PM

Good point. ccTld for smaller populations may not be able to compete with ccTld. So as a result, their .com can also do well. Only thing is that they are limited because their population is small.

I'm not saying that they have no value, they do. Just that Chinese-IDN.net may well turn out to be good investment too. Just a matter of approach,
both are good.

I'm going to take back what I said earlier about the lack of insurance.

It's too early to tell. Even if .com/.net is valued at 1/4-1/10 of .jp (for example), it will still be excellent return on investment, and a lot of money since Japanese is one of the last big developed country with an underdeveloped internet.

Any way it plays out, in a few years, a lot of people here will be retiring

Last edited by kenne; 29th March 2006 at 06:40 PM..
Old 29th March 2006, 09:27 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It also depends on if the IDNs are indexed yet in search engines. When you place an IDN in a parking program it may take a while for it to get indexed.
I just started to put my dot jps into NameDrive to get indexed by google.

I just went through and found another theme of Japanese IDNs I'm think of purchasing. A lot of them have really high bid rates I'll buy the jp com & really consider the dot nets to test out parking when ads on parking programs go Japanese.
Old 29th March 2006, 09:35 PM

Just regged :

十二支.com the 12 signs of the Chinese zodiac
and
ヘラクレス.com Hercules

No market really for either one;

The second one I got strictly for sentimental reasons since I'm Greek.