IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Domain Appraisals

IDN Domain Appraisals Appraisals by other members on International domain names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th March 2006, 07:33 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Question 日本人.tv Japanese.tv ?

Looking for confirmation if this is the correct way to say it 日本人.tv ?....
I have my fingers crossed
Old 29th March 2006, 08:41 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road
Re: 日本人.tv Japanese.tv ?

Yes and no.

It actually means "Japanese" as in "Japanese person, Japanese national" not "Japanese" as in "belonging to/related to Japan".

So it's pretty meaningless in the context of the domain!
Old 29th March 2006, 08:46 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point

When used as an adjective, Japanese refers to anything that originates from Japan. It may refer to more than one article:

* The Japanese language, a Japonic language spoken mainly in Japan.
* The Japanese people, the dominant ethnic group in Japan.

is this incorrect ? also how would you say it should be then ?

Also after looking at the overture results and translating the other words with this in it , some examples where Japanese School, Japanese Soccer Player, Japanese Pee... Can a Native Speaker please let me know exactly if this term can be associated with TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
Yes and no.

It actually means "Japanese" as in "Japanese person, Japanese national" not "Japanese" as in "belonging to/related to Japan".

So it's pretty meaningless in the context of the domain!

Last edited by thegenius1; 29th March 2006 at 08:52 PM..
Old 29th March 2006, 09:20 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When used as an adjective, Japanese refers to anything that originates from Japan. It may refer to more than one article
Your sentence is correct, "Japanese" does indeed mean that. But "日本人" does not mean "Japanese", it means "Japanese person".

Quote:
Also after looking at the overture results and translating the other words with this in it , some examples where Japanese School, Japanese Soccer Player, Japanese Pee... Can a Native Speaker please let me know exactly if this term can be associated with TV
The Google results show for example that the school reference is primarily used for overseas schools catering to Japanese PEOPLE.

Japanese (people who are) soccer players also makes sense.

Purely in the interest of research, I looked into the "pee" one. Overture threw away one character, "の" meaning of, i.e. "the pee of Japanese people". Looks like that's the name of a huge adult site.

The dictionary backs my interpretation up. What am I saying?! I certainly know enough Japanese to know I'm right without the help of the dictionary
Old 29th March 2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin
Your sentence is correct, "Japanese" does indeed mean that. But "日本人" does not mean "Japanese", it means "Japanese person".

The Google results show for example that the school reference is primarily used for overseas schools catering to Japanese PEOPLE.

Japanese (people who are) soccer players also makes sense.

Purely in the interest of research, I looked into the "pee" one. Overture threw away one character, "の" meaning of, i.e. "the pee of Japanese people". Looks like that's the name of a huge adult site.

The dictionary backs my interpretation up. What am I saying?! I certainly know enough Japanese to know I'm right without the help of the dictionary

Nobody has answered my question yet of what is Japanese then in "Japanese Language" ?
Old 29th March 2006, 09:39 PM

日本語 = Japanese language
日本 = Japanese
語 = language

For example: フランス語 (French), 韓国語 (Korean), ドイツ語 (German) etc...
Old 29th March 2006, 10:07 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Expect those to be registed by the time I get to the office by someone...
With the dot tvs some of you should start to develop them otherwise Japanese people won't know they even exist...
Old 30th March 2006, 12:03 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Expect those to be registed by the time I get to the office by someone...
With the dot tvs some of you should start to develop them otherwise Japanese people won't know they even exist...
Many Japanese adult sites seem to be in .tv already.
Old 30th March 2006, 03:43 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Many Japanese adult sites seem to be in .tv already.
Yes, I noticed that and commented on it myself a month or so ago. .tv is not completely off the Japanese radar screen for individuals who develop sites (as Olney points out).