IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 域名

域名 Discussion for Chinese IDN domain names. Chinese domains include .cn, .com, & .net.
This section is for discussion only Please do NOT post Chinese domains for sale here.

View Poll Results: What percentage will Chinese IDN.net sell for as percentage of .com in 2 years
<5% 3 12.50%
<10% 2 8.33%
<20% 7 29.17%
<25% 4 16.67%
25%+ 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th March 2006, 10:29 PM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Chinese .net vs .com survey

What percentage will .net sell for vs .com in 2 years?

This depend on many factors. So actually, I don't know what my estimate is.
But every factor I can think of, point to higher value of .net/.com compared
to the US ratio which varies from 2%-20%.

So wondering what you guys think.

Last edited by kenne; 29th March 2006 at 10:36 PM..
Old 29th March 2006, 11:05 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: Chinese .net vs .com survey

For the best names, 25%+ could be realistic because of the plural/singular namespace issue.

For the average name, I fear 5-10%.
Old 30th March 2006, 12:57 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenne
But every factor I can think of, point to higher value of .net/.com compared to the US ratio which varies from 2%-20%.
Curious if this is a published study, or good guess. My only comment would be that you don't bank percentages. A good .net can be worth way more than an average .com. The value is also in endusers that want to own both .net and .com.
Old 30th March 2006, 02:27 AM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point

There's no published study. Just a wild guess that I talked about in another thread.

There are 2 complicating factors on top of the current ".com has more prestige and more traffic than .net" argument:
1. Basically, .net has several natural IDN translations in Chinese:
.网络, .在线, .网

All of these are very neutral, and versatile in fitting with potential IDN names.
So it doesn't matter what is the exact translation in future, most of the IDN names will fly off the tongue and feel natural.

By contrast, it's harder to find a natural, accurate, versatile IDn translation for .com, hence some risk here.

That's why I think when IDN.IDN comes out, Chinese may well decide to prefer .net over .com, at least for some terms.
This is very different from the English situation, where .com and .net are both neutral, so .com only wins out based on prestige.

This is a long term advantage of .net.

2. This is the reason cited by explorer:

.com and .net are both well established international domains. Now many .com are already taken in either
the "simplified" or "traditional" form. If it's in the dominant "simplified" form, no argument. But if it's in the "traditional" form,
the "simplified" form is now blocked, so you grabbed the "simplified" form for .net.

I think in this case, your .net will be valued comparible or more than the .com version, because you got the dominant form,
even though it's in the nondominant extention.

This is a near term advantage of .net; It may not hold in future, when ICANN start giving out both forms of IDN to the owner.

Of course, it's possible that you make the mistake of regging the nondominant version for .net as well, then your domain
will be worth a lot less - but hopefully you will not make the mistake hence this will not hold true for you

It's also possible that someone regged the nondominant form of .net and leave the .com for you to reg.
In such rare case, I'm sure you know what to do to make .net/.com ratio = 1%.

Last edited by kenne; 30th March 2006 at 02:34 AM..
Old 31st March 2006, 08:40 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
It depends on how the idn.idn will end up for Chinese.

If idn.idn for .net is .网, and .com becomes .空 or .可 or .坑, it is even possible that .net is worth as much or even more than .com.

Most Chinese website are named in the format ABC NET (ABC is the site name), so .net is a natural extension, at least the chinese character form - 网.

I've more .com than .net so i've not speaking from a vested/biased point of view.

Last edited by touchring; 31st March 2006 at 09:03 AM..